Scent control

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

daveynewman
500 Club

Re: Scent control

Unread postby daveynewman » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:05 pm

Anyone ever hear of a product called be the tree ?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:11 pm

PK_ wrote:
rancid crabtree wrote:[glow=red]Not much of real value posted here but lots of snarky (non-value added stuff). I will offer some suggestions with less goofy BS.[/glow]

Have all your (clean) gear and clothing packed in a container with an O3 generator so at least your gear is a scent free as possible.

Stock up on anti-bacterial wipes and do your best to give yourself a “wipes” shower before dressing in your hunting gear.

Hunt the wind and only hunt stands that do the best to reduce the risk of getting busted

Don’t over hunt stands even if the wind is right

Hunt high in a tree to increase the distance your scent will travel before your scent cone can be picked up.

Employ any and all scent reduction means you have faith in and had success with.

Don’t worry what others say or think about methods you employ as “gimmicks” they will scoff at. Its your money and your time and your hunt.

You can look at it as snarky because you don't agree with it (much the way I view your post) but most of those posts were not without value. Lots of guys with lots of dead bucks telling him not to waste his time or stress over it, perhaps in a comical and indirect way, but nonetheless…

Take it for whatever it's worth...

Going out of your way to post worst of the worst products....that is snarky. Or dropping a no value add emoticon...yep, snarky. I don't mind that you disagree. Simply state why you believe your point. There is no need band wagon and cyber bully those with different beliefs. This forum is actually showing a glimmer of hope on the last point the last several months. It use to be pretty much one way or the highway. The change is refreshing. The content gets very stale otherwise.

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:16 pm

I did a serious post before a funny one relax a little guys. I do use baking soda or leave my camo and gear out in the woods sometimes to air out. I don't think you need a 12.00 bottle of stuff to kill a buck. As I said in my first post just hunt smart.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:14 pm

My post was too serious maybe I need to be more snarky!! :lol:

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:42 pm

Dewey wrote:My post was too serious maybe I need to be more snarky!! :lol:

Your advice was great!

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:03 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
PK_ wrote:
rancid crabtree wrote:[glow=red]Not much of real value posted here but lots of snarky (non-value added stuff). I will offer some suggestions with less goofy BS.[/glow]

Have all your (clean) gear and clothing packed in a container with an O3 generator so at least your gear is a scent free as possible.

Stock up on anti-bacterial wipes and do your best to give yourself a “wipes” shower before dressing in your hunting gear.

Hunt the wind and only hunt stands that do the best to reduce the risk of getting busted

Hunt high in a tree to increase the distance your scent will travel before your scent cone can be picked up.

Employ any and all scent reduction means you have faith in and had success with.

Don’t worry what others say or think about methods you employ as “gimmicks” they will scoff at. Its your money and your time and your hunt.

You can look at it as snarky because you don't agree with it (much the way I view your post) but most of those posts were not without value. Lots of guys with lots of dead bucks telling him not to waste his time or stress over it, perhaps in a comical and indirect way, but nonetheless…

Take it for whatever it's worth...

Going out of your way to post worst of the worst products....that is snarky. Or dropping a no value add emoticon...yep, snarky. I don't mind that you disagree. Simply state why you believe your point. There is no need band wagon and cyber bully those with different beliefs. This forum is actually showing a glimmer of hope on the last point the last several months. It use to be pretty much one way or the highway. The change is refreshing. The content gets very stale otherwise.

He could have shared his info without the highlighted text...

Nobody was bullying, guys were making innocent jokes on the internet that were not directed at anyone personally. I think most of the guys making the jokes used to practice some form of scent control and even use some of those products in the past.

I know you had a bullseye on your back in the past because of your thoughts on the subject and to be honest I always respected your posts because I know you have a great depth of knowledge on the subject.

Thumbing back through the thread I see we were not as helpful to the OP as we could have been. We have had this serious scent control discussion several times a year for how long, I think everyone is just over it. I thought this thread was pretty benign really...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:00 pm

I know we have seen the great scent control debate several times this year, however, there are a lot of new people joining as we get closer to hunting season who have not... A little joking around don't hurt nothing but lets try to stick to the subject matter.
rancid crabtree

Unread postby rancid crabtree » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:03 pm

PK_ wrote: Take it for whatever it's worth...

Thats what I did. ;)
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:12 am

rancid crabtree wrote:Not much of real value posted here but lots of snarky (non-value added stuff). I will offer some suggestions with less goofy BS.

I like this, do whatever makes you more confident. Your confidence (or lack there of) will effect how you do everything else in your hunt. I a "lucky jacket" does the jacket influence deer movement? Absolutely not. Do I feel more confident wearing it, thus making better decisions? Quite possibly.

bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:03 am

I've definitely got some gear I like to have. I have to retire my orange pull over this year even though I don't want to. It's held together with zipties and duct tape. But if it gets damp from snow falling on it, it freezes solid.

The superstition stuff always reminds me of old Turk brushing his teeth between innings to throw more strikes... and it reminds me to keep it in check.

[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaiH6qynwGg[/bbvideo]

Here's a real article with ideas: http://www.bowhunting.net/womenbowhunters/32tips-cd.html
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:40 am

rancid crabtree wrote:
PK_ wrote: Take it for whatever it's worth...

Thats what I did. ;)

Touche'
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:55 am

I think any serious deer hunter has taken a hard look at or practiced hard core scent control at one time or another and probably seen both good and bad results. I think we can apply it to each hunter in different ways, if I had a small farm I might still practice it to try and keep as low of impact as possible. However I hunt public and often trek a mile one way to get to my locations, no matter how slow you go you work up a sweat, for me it makes little sense. I also hit a spot and move on more often than not so I don't really care if I stink up an area as long as my scent doesn't hit that certain spot on the day of the hunt. Sometimes you have to focus your entrance trails to keep the property as low impact as possible, other times you worry more about bumping a deer when before you reach your kill zone, sometimes I have to bump deer to get to that zone and honestly I have used my scent to bump deer before I dive in, as long as that scent doesn't reach the bed I am hunting.

I think the whole scent control thing was great when it started, it really got people more aware of their scent and wind direction and made them better hunters. After a while plenty of people realized its not perfect and with all the commercialization there was some warranted push back from a group of hunters that found it expensive and sometimes very unnecessary. Now I think it can help certain people in certain situations, however I'm not sure there is ever going to be a cure-all for our scent and that is fine with me, I like a challenge.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:39 am

To me, in this particular topic, it is not going to matter. Going to the woods straight from work it is not going to matter if you baby wipe yourself and have clean clothes. I have tried this personally in the past because of my long walks in 90* weather. I would bring fresh descanted clothes in large ziplock, wipes, spray, and change in the dark while getting ripped apart by mosquitos. What I can tell you that I have found is that it doesn't matter one bit.

If you don't walk where you shouldn't, don't touch anything you shouldn't and if the wind doesn't blow where it shouldn't, IT DOESN'T MATTER. But if you walk where you shouldn't, touch something you shouldn't or the wind blows where it shouldn't, IT DOESN'T MATTER. I promise you will find this to be true.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”