The 7 most important words in deer hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Re: The 7 most important words in deer hunting

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:41 am

Nice write up. Great buck!

[ Post made via Android ] Image

welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:53 am

Great post! Thanks for sharing.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:18 am

I tend to look at adversity as a challenge... As if Mother nature is slapping you across the face saying "you can't do this!" I look her in the eye and say "YES I CAN"

I have a filmed bear hunt I plan ON EDITING UP SOON ON THIS VERY SUBJECT... I was hunting with forum members Acrider and James, it was my 1st bear hunt in Minnesota, and the start to my addiction to MN bears (thanks guys!) I put all my trust into Greg (Acrider) and he baited and set up the spots... He had not bear hunted the area for a few years and when I got there he was really down and said that only one bait had been hit, and only once... We hunted there a few days despite no bears hitting then went to another area that he baited as a back up that was a long way away but was being hit only to find out it had not been hit since he baited it last (1 week) as we sat in the stand Greg started to tell me how sorry he was it was not working out and I reassured him that it was ok, that it was just fun being on stand and hunting with him. That was going to be our last day hunting then I was heading back to Wisconsin... I was looking down towards the bait when Greg excitedly whispered "BEAR" I thought he was kidding and when I turned to look sure enough a bear was circling in... It was not a huge bear by anybodys standards, but was good enough for me for the last day of that week long hunt... I am sure, most would of given up by then...
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:44 am

Great story, this needs to be bumped around Nov 1 for a quick reminder. Great buck!

hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:58 am

Great story, this needs to be bumped around Nov 1 for a quick reminder. Great buck!

x2
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:09 am

Man the easy way out sometimes seems intoxicating.
I will not give in this year,this season,this week,this hunt.
This weekend I hope to scout the untouchable deer. The trail is 300ft elevation change that I know punks down virtually all competition. But not me,the layout seems soo good now that I know what to look for.
No quit.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Dutch

Unread postby Dutch » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:59 am

Great posts guys. If that doesn't get you fired up I don't know what will.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:05 pm

Good post!

One thing I would add is Never Give Up should come with a good amount of willingness to keep trying a new approach, a new angle. There are lots of walls out there that you will never get through if you just keep banging your head against one spot....but there is always a way around them.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:44 pm

"If you, the reader, take nothing else out of this book I hope that you understand that focus, dedication, drive and a willingness to keep going no matter what are the catalysts that lead to success in shooting big bucks. It is one thing to learn the techniques, but quite another to shake it off and keep hunting when every fiber in your being wants to stop. The only thing assured by quitting is that you will fail." Bryce Towsley - Big Bucks The Benoit Way

"We only have a few deer seasons in our lifetime and I don’t want to squander even one." ... same book.

What a great buck!
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:02 pm

JoeRE wrote:Good post!

One thing I would add is Never Give Up should come with a good amount of willingness to keep trying a new approach, a new angle. There are lots of walls out there that you will never get through if you just keep banging your head against one spot....but there is always a way around them.

Good point Joe. Not giving up sometimes requires making a new approach, new tactic, new ideas. It doesn't just mean continue whatever your doing, no matter how tough it is. More hours on stand will help, but while sitting think about what you can do differently if its not working out currently.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:50 am

JoeRE wrote:Good post!

Ive heard people call me poacher, or say I must cheat, cause they hunt great private spots and spend more time hgunting without near the results I have.... Those people "just keep banging thier heads against one spot"

Another great post Joe...
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:53 am

This one hits home! I've really started that seven word attitude and it pays off. Great thread and stories everyone.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:14 am

dan wrote: Ive heard people call me poacher, or say I must cheat, cause they hunt great private spots and spend more time hgunting without near the results I have.... Those people "just keep banging thier heads against one spot"

Another great post Joe...

It never ceases to amaze me how jealous other hunters can be.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:24 am

Lots of great advice!

I'll admit one of the hardest things for me to do is the all day sit. I've only done it a few times, but I've had a handful of times where I told myself I was staying all day, then I bail for a few hours over lunch. I get mid day activity on trail camera every year, but its tough for me to go sunup to sundown. That's the biggest thing I need to work on... putting the boredom aside and sitting all day during rut when I've got the time.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:40 am

Lockdown wrote:Lots of great advice!

I'll admit one of the hardest things for me to do is the all day sit. I've only done it a few times, but I've had a handful of times where I told myself I was staying all day, then I bail for a few hours over lunch. I get mid day activity on trail camera every year, but its tough for me to go sunup to sundown. That's the biggest thing I need to work on... putting the boredom aside and sitting all day during rut when I've got the time.

All day sits will pay off in the long run. A couple of years ago I was hunting with a guy, he was a ridge over from me. He left at noon because the "deer weren't moving". Two and a half hours later I saw the only buck of the day and killed him.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”