The 7 most important words in deer hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

The 7 most important words in deer hunting

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:01 pm

While digging up old threads on the Beast, I've noticed something in quite a few that remind me of some "words of wisdom" that my Dad told me when I was little. His words were regarding leading a successful life, and many times over I have thought back to those 7 words. Both in life in general, and also (maybe even more-so...) deer hunting.

"Never, never, never, never, never give up"

The most successful Beasts have THAT mindset. They do whatever it takes, no matter the circumstances or consequences.

I've got two stories detailing why you should "NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!!"

A few years ago my good friend Zach and his brother Gabe were chasing a GIANT 8 pointer. He was 30 some inches for mass and way outside his ears with 16" g2s. A slob anywhere in the country. This was the 2nd year they had him on camera, and Gabe had him at 100 yards the first year. He was following a doe. Close but no cigar.

Year #2 The big 8 was on camera again and Gabe had tagged out early. Zach hunted him all season, then took a week off work for rut. Catching a quick glimpse a few days prior to his vacay, he was PUMPED. :dance: He hunted every day and he hunted hard. It was either day 5 or 6 of his rut vacation when I talked to him on the phone and he told me he was going duck hunting that night with Gabe. "I've been up early every morning and hunting hard... I just need a change of pace for a few hours"... I understood how its fun to change it up and get rid of the monotony, but I felt he was making a mistake. He was burnt out from all of the early mornings and long sits with minimal results. We've all been there.

You guessed it... Zach went back to bowhunting the morning after his waterfowl reprieve and checked the camera later that day. The big 8 had passed by the camera at last light about 75 yards from his stand, heading right to where he would have been sitting. :naughty: I felt really bad for him, but at the same time he was foolish to give it a rest. The stands they had were low impact as far as enter and egress, there were lots of does in that tract, and it was rut. He mentally cashed out from deer hunting for one hunt and it cost him a monster.

Like Zach in the previous story, I had a full week off of work just prior to gun season. On day 1 (Monday morning) I had an incredible experience. 4 bucks chased a doe into the small grove I was hunting. One was the 7.5 or 8.5 yr old 8 point I had been chasing, and another was a smaller 10 that I considered a shooter. Big 2 y.o. or small 3 y.o. Long story short I was in perfect position and they skirted around me. :doh: I was SO close.

I did see the 10 that evening but he never came closer than 100 yards. In 18 years of hunting I had never seen 2 bucks chasing a doe before, let alone 4. Tagging out didn't seem like it would be a problem. 8-) This grove had been money in the past.

Tuesday was a bust. Wednesday I hunted a different area and saw 1 fawn. Thursday I went back to the farmer's grove but nothing again. I had lost all faith in my spots. Not only was I not seeing any shooters... I wasn't seeing deer period. I saw one fawn Tuesday thru Thursday. All I had left was one day before gun season, and around here things get cleaned out pretty bad. To say I was at the bottom of the barrel is an understatement. I'm not sure if I was more mad or depressed. 1 day left.

Thursday night after the hunt I decided to go get a trail camera from one of my private parcels so it didn't get stolen by the gun hunters (I only had bow rights on that piece). When I got home and checked the card, a new buck had showed up.

Looking at the dates on the pictures, I think gun opener was November 3rd, and I pulled the camera November 1st.

This tract of land is NOTORIOUS for night time activity, so the fact that he was there didn't help my mood all that much. This was the 3rd year I'd hunted this piece and I'd never laid eyes on a shooter there in the daytime. Not once. "So what... he's big but nocturnal. Same as always for this place!!"

Like Zach, I was burnt out from giving it 100% with little to no results. I made my mind up that I'd sleep in, recharge, then head out for a 11 to dusk hunt. A quick break would help my moral.

Laying in bed with my head on the pillow, the guilt set in "What are you thinking?!? Its rut! Anything can happen! Stop feeling sorry for yourself and GO HUNTING IN THE MORNING.... don't take the easy way out." I reset my alarm and headed after the newly discovered 11 pointer.

I had a doe come by at 10 yards just before legal shooting time, and a yearling buck worked a scrape and swung thru on the same trail 15 minutes afterwards. "Well holy %$&# I saw some deer!" Bowunting was all of the sudden fun again just like that. :lol:

Just as the sun peaked over the horizon I caught movement to my left. No way... it was him! He was on a trail 60 yards away heading right to me. For some reason he took a right angle and veered off but I was able to grunt him back for a slam dunk 8 yard shot. :dance: The morning that could have easily been spent with my head on the pillow turned into the biggest archery deer of my life.

NEVER (5x) GIVE UP! Ever since I killed this deer, going 3-5 hunts in a row without seeing a single deer (which happens to me every year) doesn't mean much anymore. Hunt smart and hunt hard.

If anyone else has a relatable story, let's hear it!

Dewey

Re: The 7 most important words in deer hunting

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:28 pm

Here is the thread from my buck kill last year and think it fits in with your theme of "never give up"

viewtopic.php?f=287&t=27571&p=362791

Some may be tired of hearing this story already but thought I would post it for the new members who haven't seen it yet. It was an amazing day that proves you should never give up because things can change in an instant. ;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:37 pm

Beauty deer!! I know I have been in your shoes before. Much easier to sleep in when things haven't been going right

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:14 pm

Great post...
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:45 pm

Nice!

Your never out of the fight, no matter what you are fighting to achieve. :mrgreen:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:31 pm

Spectacular! :clap:
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:00 am

Good stories lockdown..your right it can be a grind with ups and downs, just gotta keep after it

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:31 am

Great post Lockdown!

Love the shredded bark in the rack :clap:

[ Post made via Android ] Image
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:58 am

Excellent post! I think never giving up has been the essential keys to why I have been successful in my neck of the woods. I've stated that it's not uncommon for me to lose 10-15lbs in hunting season. The constant push for me to walk those long walks in, stand on my back, doing what it takes to get on mature deer is a grind. One such story comes to mind of a hunt I had a few years back. I had located a big 8pt and had his bedding pinpointed. I had literally hunted him for like 5 days in a row. With seeing younger bucks and does, I was getting restless from hunting all day dark to dark. I had one day to hunt before opener of Michigan gun season and it was brutally cold. I had set up a stand in a rut funnel that was litered with scrapes and fresh sign. I had to push myself that morning to get out of bed and give it one last try before gun season opener. As I sat in my stand waiting for daylight, I kept telling myself sit till noon no matter what. The cold weather was making it hard to sit that morning and I was seeing no deer and I just kept telling myself 10 more minutes. After at least 10x of that I stood to stretch and I caught movement coming from the funnel. A young doe came out and worked her way toward my stand as she got to about 20 yards I saw the 8pt emerge from the thicket. Nose to the ground and following that doe he passed by me at 17 yds and within seconds he was crashing back where he came from on a death run. I watched him fall about 45 yds from my stand. I wasn't cold anymore the adrenaline was flowing. I remember smiling to myself and thinking you pushed yourself to the brink and look what happened when you did. Other guys would have gotten down. Second guessed the spot. Given up. It was one of the sweetest walks back to the car. Our hunting friends had set up camp earlier that morning and were prepping for gun season, when I rolled in with a huge smile and blood stained hands, it sent a spark of electricity and excitement through our camp. We laughed and one of the guys we hunt with hadn't been seeing any deer at all. I told him of a 2.5 yr old 8 pt I had been seeing pretty regularly from this spot but he wasn't what I was after. I told him how to get to a good location and at first light of gun he killed that 8pt at 30 yds. Made my season. Another time I can recall was my 8pt from 2012(which turned out to be a 9pt with a 8 in drop tine. I posted this story as I was after this buck from spring scouting till the day he died. I had placed a trail camera up and hadn't checked the pictures all season. I hunted observation stands trying to get a peak of this guy. On October 25th at 11am he came through one of my sets at about 75 yds. I watched him walk right to where I thought he was bedded and disappear into the blowdowns. I snuck out of there and walked a creek out trying to leave the area without jumping him. As luck would have it the wind wasn't right for me for days and the rut was in full swing and I couldn't hunt that bed. Finally second week of nov the wind changed and I got a chance to get in there. I hunted from dark to dark and man it was a long sit, but I saw a lot of deer moving and chasing and as it started to get darker and the sun was going down I wondered was he even using that bed with all the rut activity I was seeing. Then about 5:20 I heard the splashing of water and could see a deer coming. Big body and a very stiff legged approach. I couldn't see his antlers, but I knew it was him. I grabbed my bow and waited. He walked in and worked a scrape 15yds from my stand. As he turned to leave, I drew and buried one inches from his shoulder. He didn't go far and I heard him collapse in the water. I was so pumped. Literally on moments away from too dark and I had harvested another P&Y buck from a high pressured area. What I left out of this story was the parking lot had 6 cars in it and 5 guys walked in every day and hunted a huge crp field trying to get the deer that was leaving all these huge rubs. What they didn't know was he had them patterned and they didn't know about 1/2 mile from them was where his bed was located. Still to this day that's the buck I'm most proud of. He's not my biggest, but despite all the odds and pressure for this deer. I ended up being the guy who claimed him.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:09 am

Zap wrote:Nice!

[glow=red]Your never out of the fight[/glow], no matter what you are fighting to achieve. :mrgreen:

that's the moral of the story!

Jackson Marsh wrote:Great post Lockdown!

Love the shredded bark in the rack :clap:

Thanks I thought it was pretty cool. I asked the taxi if he could keep it and he said absolutely! I love the mount...
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:15 am

whitetailassasin wrote:Excellent post! I think never giving up has been the essential keys to why I have been successful in my neck of the woods. I've stated that it's not uncommon for me to lose 10-15lbs in hunting season. The constant push for me to walk those long walks in, stand on my back, doing what it takes to get on mature deer is a grind. One such story comes to mind of a hunt I had a few years back. I had located a big 8pt and had his bedding pinpointed. I had literally hunted him for like 5 days in a row. With seeing younger bucks and does, I was getting restless from hunting all day dark to dark. I had one day to hunt before opener of Michigan gun season and it was brutally cold. I had set up a stand in a rut funnel that was litered with scrapes and fresh sign. I had to push myself that morning to get out of bed and give it one last try before gun season opener. As I sat in my stand waiting for daylight, I kept telling myself sit till noon no matter what. The cold weather was making it hard to sit that morning and I was seeing no deer and I just kept telling myself 10 more minutes. After at least 10x of that I stood to stretch and I caught movement coming from the funnel. A young doe came out and worked her way toward my stand as she got to about 20 yards I saw the 8pt emerge from the thicket. Nose to the ground and following that doe he passed by me at 17 yds and within seconds he was crashing back where he came from on a death run. I watched him fall about 45 yds from my stand. I wasn't cold anymore the adrenaline was flowing. I remember smiling to myself and thinking you pushed yourself to the brink and look what happened when you did. Other guys would have gotten down. Second guessed the spot. Given up. It was one of the sweetest walks back to the car. Our hunting friends had set up camp earlier that morning and were prepping for gun season, when I rolled in with a huge smile and blood stained hands, it sent a spark of electricity and excitement through our camp. We laughed and one of the guys we hunt with hadn't been seeing any deer at all. I told him of a 2.5 yr old 8 pt I had been seeing pretty regularly from this spot but he wasn't what I was after. I told him how to get to a good location and at first light of gun he killed that 8pt at 30 yds. Made my season. Another time I can recall was my 8pt from 2012(which turned out to be a 9pt with a 8 in drop tine. I posted this story as I was after this buck from spring scouting till the day he died. I had placed a trail camera up and hadn't checked the pictures all season. I hunted observation stands trying to get a peak of this guy. On October 25th at 11am he came through one of my sets at about 75 yds. I watched him walk right to where I thought he was bedded and disappear into the blowdowns. I snuck out of there and walked a creek out trying to leave the area without jumping him. As luck would have it the wind wasn't right for me for days and the rut was in full swing and I couldn't hunt that bed. Finally second week of nov the wind changed and I got a chance to get in there. I hunted from dark to dark and man it was a long sit, but I saw a lot of deer moving and chasing and as it started to get darker and the sun was going down I wondered was he even using that bed with all the rut activity I was seeing. Then about 5:20 I heard the splashing of water and could see a deer coming. Big body and a very stiff legged approach. I couldn't see his antlers, but I knew it was him. I grabbed my bow and waited. He walked in and worked a scrape 15yds from my stand. As he turned to leave, I drew and buried one inches from his shoulder. He didn't go far and I heard him collapse in the water. I was so pumped. Literally on moments away from too dark and I had harvested another P&Y buck from a high pressured area. What I left out of this story was the parking lot had 6 cars in it and 5 guys walked in every day and hunted a huge crp field trying to get the deer that was leaving all these huge rubs. What they didn't know was he had them patterned and they didn't know about 1/2 mile from them was where his bed was located. Still to this day that's the buck I'm most proud of. He's not my biggest, but despite all the odds and pressure for this deer. I ended up being the guy who claimed him.

:clap: 8-) awesome stories whitetailassassin! I know what you mean about that "euphoric" walk to the car. Its an incredible feeling.
dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:33 am

Very awesome! Great story and great buck! The ups and downs, or ebb and flow of bow hunting tests even the strongest minds and I completely respect you and anybody else who pushes through adversity. It's those times that really make everything worthwhile.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:11 am

Lockdown wrote:
[glow=red]"Never, never, never, never, never give up"[/glow]

The most successful Beasts have THAT mindset. They do whatever it takes, no matter the circumstances or consequences.

Great post, I wanted to highlight these two lines, it very much describes a lot of the guys on this site. I've been hanging around here for 5 years now and I can tell you one of the very most important things to have is a positive and never give up attitude.
Bow_Badger

Unread postby Bow_Badger » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:32 am

Great message and great stories.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:47 am

Good thing to bring up before the season. Great post! It happened to me last year. It was the lock down phase of the rut. We weren't seeing any deer for a couple days. My uncle hunts the property next to me and he got frustrated and went home. I stayed for the next morning and shot a nice 8 pointer at 11:30 in the morning in snowy windy weather. You have to keep on keeping on.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”