Hunting the rut do you hunt different than at other times?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

shaff1101

Hunting the rut do you hunt different than at other times?

Unread postby shaff1101 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:42 am

Other than the typical answers like hunt as far away from roads and other hunters,
funnels, saddles, ridges.

How do you hunt the rut differently than other times, and how do you choose the area you want to hunt.

msailor

Re: Hunting the rut do you hunt different than at other time

Unread postby msailor » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:46 am

Think like a buck, his whole train of thought changes during November. Prior to the rut a buck's priorities look like this.

1: Protection
2: Food/Water
3: Breeding

During November this list turns upside down.

There are hundreds of tactics that exploit the up-ending of this list, could you be more specific?
dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:50 am

I like to focus more on doe bedding, or travel routes between doe and buck bedding. My favorite way to hunt, and it's typically a pretty small window(3-4 days), is by putting my cameras on entry/exit routes of doe bedding and trails running parallel with the bedding- I like to place it where the entry/exit and parallel trail intersect. If I can't find a good intersection I'll set a camera up over a primary scrape near the doe bedding. These cameras can be checked and when a mature buck is in the area, I start to hunt the bedding until A) I shoot him, or B) there is no sign of the doe having entered estrous. It's the most exciting way for me to hunt... granted sometimes it just doesn't work out to hunt like that.

But before all of that I like to have my cams set up over a scrape I feel is getting hit frequently by most of the bucks in the area. I like to do this as soon as it opens up. However, I will be setting one up tomorrow over a primary scrape that I know gets used this time of year for it's licking branches- but that's rare for me(probably only check it early October to make sure the batteries are strong and switch out the card if its full, then check it again before my rut hunt starts). Once I find a good buck I want to go after I then set up the cams like I previously mentioned.

If you have the patience to let the cams sit for an extended period of time and only check them when the conditions are right(rain) this can be a really fun and informative way to hunt. I've screwed areas up by checking cams too frequently, but also had some success doing this. Still dialing it in, and can't wait to get it as close to perfect as I can.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:47 pm

Once the rut comes you need to start putting longer hours in the stand, no matter the weather IMO. Midday hunting is prime
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:56 pm

Rut = any time of day can be good. Non rut I concentrate on early and late in the day.

I will hunt close to a road anytime during the season since deer cross roads all the time.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:42 pm

Zap wrote:Rut = any time of day can be good. Non rut I concentrate on early and late in the day.

I will hunt close to a road anytime during the season since deer cross roads all the time.

I hear hunting by deer crossing signs can be hot. :mrgreen:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:44 pm

Dewey wrote:
Zap wrote:Rut = any time of day can be good. Non rut I concentrate on early and late in the day.

Too many other hunters in those area's...... :P
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:26 am

Zap wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Too many other hunters in those area's...... :P

It works.... Lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:05 am

Traditionally those deer crossing signs are put in spots where deer cross a lot of have been hit multiple times. There is one sign that is about 20 yards from a insane trail that goes across the street. If you look at it in the winter it looks like someone has shoveled in on both sides of the street. A lot of times those signs are put in spots for a reason.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”