Hunting small parcels

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Hunting small parcels

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:20 pm

I was reading through some old threads n seen something about hunting small parcels n how they play into the "first time sits" philisophy. Obviously the first time sit theory starts twisting a bit when u get into guys hunting small parcels. I feel that only hunting one piece of land is another game where scent control n conditioning deer comes into play. In my area parcels over 20 acres are becoming rare. Although I mainly hunt public, I do hunt very small chunks of private...10,13, n 7.5 acres. I just hunt them in my rotation n use mainly to kill does. The 7.5 acre parcel burns out quick n when it does the deer just wont use it at all. The 13 never seem to burn out because it is a funnel connecting 2 large woods. The ten I havent hunted yet. What do you guys consider to be a small parcel n how do u hunt them?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

johndeere506
500 Club

Re: Hunting small parcels

Unread postby johndeere506 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:49 pm

The smaller the parcel the more ive noticed how important it is to be downwind of every deer trail. A couple parcels this doesnt let me get to the best area. If I stay out for a few weeks, Ill hit the good spot during prime time, November. It seems to work for me, and the risk has been worth the reward on high percentage days. The rotation is a good start, but determine when the good bucks, or whatever deer your after there is actually using it.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:23 pm

If you're hunting a small woodlot surrounded by ag, definitely be on the downwind side. Typically I hunt by standing corn, which either allows me to 1) get to the grove thru the cornfield undetected or 2) know that the majority of deer will be in the corn and coming back to the grove. (So obviously they're not going to see my approach if they're already in the corn when I head in)

Does seem to pop in from any direction, but the nice bucks are normally on the downwind side so they can keep a tab on things with their nose. That goes for both bedding, and for entering the grove from the field. Especially if you call a buck in, the 1st thing he'll do is head strait down wind. He knows he should be able to smell whatever made that noise. If you're in a little 5 acre grove he can wind the whole thing in a matter of seconds.

Typically it takes me a year or two of hunting and [glow=red]running trail cameras[/glow]to figure out their habits for that particular piece. Sometimes the deer prefer to bed in the corn, sometimes they like the grove.

If there is any rock piles, terraces, or anything that offers structure nearby the grove for bedding, they will use those quite a bit.

I do have a couple spots where does have their preferred bedding areas, and they use them no matter what way the wind is from. If its rut and a buck is hanging with those does, forget about the wind... he'll be bedded up with them at their favorite local.

If you look at my diagram of the farm grove in the "Success On the Ground" thread in best all time tactical, he and the does came out of the SE portion of the grove, with a SE wind. They did it 3 nights in a row.

Not sure if this pertains to your specific situation(s), but it is what I have found with small parcels in farm country.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:33 pm

Here is the image I was talking about.

Notice the gap in the trees on the right side (south side) of the grove. There's a bunch of canary grass and young tree growth on that end, and the does love it. Once again... STRUCTURE. They like whatever is different.

My strategy for this particular grove is STAY OUT until rut. There will normally be 4 or 5 does and fawns that reside here, a yearling buck, and no shooter bucks. There are huge properties on both sides of this one, so I know once rut hits, the big boys know there are does to check. This isn't a one and done type of situation either... during rut anything can happen. I'll hunt this grove 4 or 5 times. As long as the does are there and comfortable, the bucks WILL be there.

The one thing I have going for me, is they are used to a small amount of human presence. This is the kind of sleeper spot I like to find... small property near prime whitetail woods.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:14 am

Great points guys. I like the idea of waiting for the rut to hunt some of these areas. That should b possible for one of the spots because I have sole access. The other property I own and it seems to go dead when hunting pressure starts. It is hot the first couple weeks. . then nothin till late Dec. The other gets hunted so its not in my control but is between 2 cornfields n large woodlots.

Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:23 am

I like hunting properties with 10 acres or less of deer habitat. I'm alot more successful at getting permission because most guys don't even bother asking. That being said, they are difficult to hunt and be successful and access is extremely important. Some of them you just can't get to unless there is standing corn and some I have to wait until gun season. Post season scouting and glassing from the road are very important to my strategy for hunting these parcels. Most of them I've only got one or two shots to make it happen. Foggy days are my favorite, I've had a lot of success.
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:34 am

I believe the best way to hunt these properties is...not to. Stay out until primetime and focus on access. Since the properties are so small, if you are there on the right day you will be in the action. Below is an example of a property I hunt. In addition, to just being good rut stands (funnels, near doe bedding and transitions) I can access each stand without alerting deer. Stand one I drop into the creek and travel a deep ravine right up to the base of my stand tree. Stand 2 wasa little trickier; this spring I cut trees and formed a barricade to prevent deer from crossing my scent trail and prevent them from the utilizing the entirety of the inside corner. I piled veg behind me in a "v" with the bottom of the "v" being my stand tree and the top of the "v" being an ag field. I walk the inside of the "v" all the way to my stand.

If I stay out until the bucks are on their feet and the does aren't educated on my setups, I will be able to hunt this property all Nov long (notwithstanding wind direction)...but I hope it won't take that long ;)

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:41 am

If you hunt small woodlots in farm countrt during the rut wait till the sun is up to go out. If you walk out in the dark you'll blow the deer out of the fields. My success went up after I started doing this.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:49 am

I like the idea of building a baracade. I think this would really help me on my property. I also want to cut one main trail that leads from the large woods across the rd into my property. I had a moped trail back there when I moved in an I had to le it grow in cause the deer were using it to move around me.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:28 am

Property lines are not noticed by deer, just humans... Whats small to you, is just one part of a huge area the buck sees. Its like any other property, you need to be carful of how much you hunt there.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:43 pm

Good point Dan
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:07 pm

I think another good way to hunt small parcels is small organized pushes. If there is bedding n u know the trails in and out a couple guys can get pretty creative. It only takes a few minutes to do and if nothing happens hunt somewhere else for the day.

Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:50 am

oldrank wrote:I think another good way to hunt small parcels is small organized pushes. If there is bedding n u know the trails in and out a couple guys can get pretty creative. It only takes a few minutes to do and if nothing happens hunt somewhere else for the day.

I know of several big deer killed this way during gun season around here.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”