anything new in deer hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Zap

Re: anything new in deer hunting?

Unread postby Zap » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:59 am

dan wrote: My point was not that you should not use advancements, I use plenty myself... My point was that most people don't learn woodsmanship, but they spend there time buying, reading about, and learning about the latest greatest gadget that will supposedly help them kill way more bucks...
Learning how deer move, bed, and how terrain works, wind works, etc... Will help you way more than a case full of acorn crunchers...

Todays world, Dan. Folks think they can achieve success by spending money or should that be "going further into debt"?

The trail cam and corn pile is by far the main "scouting" method used today.
Aimless wandering thru the woods and fields is second.

:D

"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:00 am

Zap wrote:
dan wrote: My point was not that you should not use advancements, I use plenty myself... My point was that most people don't learn woodsmanship, but they spend there time buying, reading about, and learning about the latest greatest gadget that will supposedly help them kill way more bucks...
Learning how deer move, bed, and how terrain works, wind works, etc... Will help you way more than a case full of acorn crunchers...

Todays world, Dan. Folks think they can achieve success by spending money or should that be "going further into debt"?

Agreed, exactly my point.
Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:21 am

I'd probably be a better hunter than I am if I knew red meat wasn't guaranteed as long as I had a paying job :D.

That said, since joining the beast and now hunting public land instead of private has brought the drive I had as a teen, to get out and scout, sleepless nights, excitement that hunting had lost for me. I was so used to going out and killing deer in the same old places that it just got boring.

Going simpler and on public land has brought back and old flame that waned in my early 20s.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:31 am

Zap wrote:

I agree with you that the lack of learning woodsmanship or even an appreciation of nature is or can be an issue...no disputing that. I just dispute the notion that Fred Bear or the Indians or whomever were necessarily better than "us"...it's apples and oranges as far as conditions and circumstances and should not be compared. Was Fred Bear one of the greatest...of course! Are there hunters just as good as he was today? I am pretty sure there are. I just see statements in various places that some other group that existed in some other place and time were so much better...it reminds of these liberals always wanting us to feel guilty about success.

Also, the main gist of my post was not really meant to be about gimmicks and gadgets but more about useful knowledge....and thanks to this website and you guys....I don't think there are major new discoveries from a knowledge standpoint....this doesn't mean that we stop learning or experiencing but I just don't know what else can be said that would improve someone's ability...ONLY GETTING OUT AND DOING IT.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:14 pm

Dewey wrote:
DaHunter wrote:Drone scouting will be big soon IMO

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Hoping states make these illegal on public lands. If not we will enter the era of the lazy hunter. Don't know about you guys but scouting for me is all about exploring while learning and experiencing nature firsthand plus getting some well needed exercise at the same time. Last thing I want to see is drones buzzing around my public lands ruining for what to me is a relaxing activity where I enjoy my peace and quiet.

Yep, I agree with you 100%. Scouting, for me, is just as fun and exciting as hunting. I look forward to it year round. BUT, we may be the exceptions.

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:31 pm

Anti-hunting is getting too much press and public sentiment on it's side.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”