Morning Hunting River oxbows..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ryan
500 Club

Morning Hunting River oxbows..

Unread postby Ryan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:00 pm

If you guys find buck beds in an oxbow, have you also found that as a buck approaches his bed he J-hooks in still, Walks straight to the bed since some oxbows don't look big enough for a buck to j-hook? or for those smaller ones that creeks form have you saw them cross the creek so they can j-hook and come straight into the bed from the creek? how do you like setting up for these morning hunts knowing that the buck is most likely using the oxbow with the wind blowing into it..

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Morning Hunting River oxbows..

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:37 pm

Good question, I watched some good bucks bed in an oxbow that was small and never cross the river with wind blowing in from the mouth... They went down wind of the beds and hooked up to them, but not enough to make much of a difference. I also saw bucks come across the river to go into the beds wind to face.

If you look at the oxbow scenario I posted a while back where I got a crack at a monster, I actually hunted that spot from upwind of the beds in the morning.
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:51 am

Thanks for the response Dan..i remember reading that thread a while back here is a link to it if everyone wants to see it viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14670&start=15 Did you set up that stand location so you could get a shot on them before they could scent check the bed, or what other considerations did you have to set up on that side vs where the other trails where going into the bedding area
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:05 am

Ryan wrote:Thanks for the response Dan..i remember reading that thread a while back here is a link to it if everyone wants to see it viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14670&start=15 Did you set up that stand location so you could get a shot on them before they could scent check the bed, or what other considerations did you have to set up on that side vs where the other trails where going into the bedding area

I set up based o9n observations and trails/tracks

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”