Hanging a treestand before first light questions

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Hanging a treestand before first light questions

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:59 am

Hey all

Ive never actually hung a stand before first light before but I plan on doing it this weekend in a spot that has never been pressured by my hunting party.

Im pumped to try this out but I can see it becoming a big headache fast. Now for some questions...

For all the guys who have set up in the pre morning light how long does it usually take you to get set up?

Would you reccomend the climbing sticks or pegs?

Would using the headlight on my cap to set up the stand spook deer if they saw it you think?

Anymore advice would be very helpful thanks guys. :)

PredatorTC
500 Club

Re: Hanging a treestand before first light questions

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:12 am

I dont know whats true or false but here is what i do....
I have used pegs and sticks. But i would recomend using whatever is quieter for you. It usualy takes me the same amount of time in the morning as at night. Most of the time ican set up without a light and feel my way around because i have done it so many times.

One thing i take into consideration is if the deer can see you when your setting up with you light on. For example. If your setting up in a thick cedar swamp your light will nont shine far and you should be fine. But if your setting up in a few trees in the middle of cattails your going to stick out like a lighthouse.

Just give yourself plenty of time especialy if you have not picked your tree. Because rushing results in extra noise and movment and a sloppy setup
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:15 am

My suggestion is to practice as much as you can in your yard and get to know your equipment as much as possible. I don't put a time limit on how fast i can setup; I take my time and give myself an extra 30 minutes. I think in this instance being quiet, going slow and being safe, are the most important aspects.

Also, I don't use lights...It may be dumb but I typically don't need a light to get setup properly.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:27 am

Go slow and give youself plenty of time so you don't make a lot of noise. I try not to use a light unless I am at ground level especially on public land because I don't want to be up in a tree with a light giving away my position.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:34 am

I used to not use a light... But two close calls almost getting shot changed my perspective on that...
Setting up in the dark is no harder than setting up in the day with the exception morning hunts that are set up in the dark you should have a predetermined tree. Wandering around in the dark searching for a tree seldom has good results.
I have a really low light hat light that you really cant see for long distances that would work well if needed. However, I generally go up the tree and set up with no light.
Go in early and be really quiet. I noyiced that you can hear all the other hunters walking in and setting up in the morning when the woods are silent. If you can hear them, you can bet the bucks can too.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:25 am

I use a red LED light for going in a setting up. It's very dim, but lets me see where to put my foot to avoid breaking branches and making unnecessary noise and helps in avoiding clanks while setting up. On a full moon, I turn off my light when I get to the tree. But always use one going and coming for the reason Dan mentioned.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:46 am

Thanks guys

Yea I have the tree already picked out and how I want the stand facing. Im not in a race either so I will go in really early. Practicing it in the backyard is a good idea too. Im putting up in a red oak which hopefully still has leaves on to give me extra cover. Im really excited about the whole surprise factor. Like I have said earlier, it seems the deer have literally patterened our treestands and have patterened our habits. Its going to be cool to see how much action I see out of this "surprise setup" I plan on hunting this spot all day as well. Right in between two doe bedding areas about 200 yards apart and Im on a ridgetop which is a saddle where I am at. I need a Westerly wind though to make this work. Maybe I will post a topo of it later on tonight if I have time to see what you guys think of it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”