Dedication and patience: The all day sit

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: Dedication and patience: The all day sit

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:27 am

AC Rider wrote:You can't forget a pee bottle ;)

I used to take a pee bottle, but not anymore, I just go right out of the stand. Deer can detect in urine if it is from an omnivore or a herbivore, but can't tell if it is a human or a coyote. If they ran from every omnivore urine smell they would never stop running. I pee'd in a scrape for scientific study...lol and watched deer come to it.
I pee'd out of a stand last year on a sappling below me. A doe came by about an hour or so later and started eating the leaves and it would be a lie to say I didn't snicker. However she gave me a good broadside shot at 15 yards...so I knocked the taste out of her mouth.
I usually go down to the creek for #2 there is a long branch that hangs over the water, I call it the poopin tree :lol:
Anyway going there is more for my benefit than anything.

God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:31 pm

i bring a bible, maybe another book, a weather radio which doubles as a radio, cell phone for the occassional texting, extra clothing i.e scarf, spare gloves and hat (in case it rains), rainwear, plenty of food and water (lack of water =headache=leaving early) ibuprofen and other meds if I start feeling ill, plenty of patience and an hopeful attitude. i try to tell myself that the longer I go without seeing mr big the closer i am...i sit about 7 days all day each year
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:10 pm

I usually do 4-5 all day sits a year. My first all day sit will be Thursday followed by a 7 hour sit on Friday. It is going to rain tomorrow and then the temps are going to start dropping. It should be 15 degrees cooler by Friday. The south winds are switching to N/NW winds which means I am moving in to kill something in two of my better spots. KILL
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:40 pm

Comfortable stand is #1 - I like my Summit. Being confident in the spot is #2. Hunting in the hills - my favorite rut time period is 9-1. If you have not been hunting during that time in the hills you are definetly missing out on some action, especially in the early stages of the rut - cruzn stage.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:23 pm

I do not know how you guys do all day sits! I give you guys props for that! 6 hours is about the absolute maximum I think I can do and I've only done it maybe 2 or 3 times this year. But on the other hand if I'm seeing deer I can and have pretty much stayed in one spot all day as long as I can get down, eat, strech, and take a nap when things aren't moving. Always make sure bow is close at hand if you take a nap though or you WILL learn the hard way lol :lol: ! Sittings one thing but a few times a year I'll be in the woods all day and I tend to need water and tylenol. I think the tylenol is more needed for headaches from caffeine or lack of sleep headaches rather than dehydration. A bad headache can really ruin a nice day in the woods. I'll try to make do with one bottle of water and by the time the day is over I'm stopping at the gas station and chugging down some gatorades. Texting or playing a game on the cell phone sometimes makes the time pass, just save some battery to call for help dragging out your slob! ;)
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:51 am

I'm 24 years old and have been sitting all day for about 3 years now. It Is well worth it in November.

So far this year I haven't sat all day, but starting this weekend all sits will be all day.

Like mentioned above. Food and drink are the most important things. I bring plenty. Bring a book if you want.

Second most important thing is a comfortable stand. I use a tree walker with a net seat. I think a sling style seat is essential. No matter how plump of a seat u have, if it is solid underneath it will make for discomfort.

There is a lot of movement between 10 and 2 while everyone else is out getting lunch.

The deer don't leave for lunch....neither do I.
hotterthantiffany

Unread postby hotterthantiffany » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:15 am

Indianahunter wrote:

I used to take a pee bottle, but not anymore, I just go right out of the stand. Deer can detect in urine if it is from an omnivore or a herbivore, but can't tell if it is a human or a coyote. If they ran from every omnivore urine smell they would never stop running. I pee'd in a scrape for scientific study...lol and watched deer come to it.
I pee'd out of a stand last year on a sappling below me. A doe came by about an hour or so later and started eating the leaves and it would be a lie to say I didn't snicker. However she gave me a good broadside shot at 15 yards...so I knocked the taste out of her mouth.
I usually go down to the creek for #2 there is a long branch that hangs over the water, I call it the poopin tree :lol:

this is great news ( pee out of stand ) becuase that has always been my issue with an all day sit. I am not talented enough to use a bottle but my balance is good to hang "my stuff" over the side. I was worried about the sent issue...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:11 pm

hotterthantiffany wrote:
Indianahunter wrote:

this is great news ( pee out of stand ) becuase that has always been my issue with an all day sit. I am not talented enough to use a bottle but my balance is good to hang "my stuff" over the side. I was worried about the sent issue...

That was you up there! :o
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:12 pm

I don't waste my pee on "bottles" I save it for unsuspecting squirrels ;)
I was even thinking about mounting sights on it.. :lol:
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:26 pm

Ok... Here is my take on all day sits. They normally are not productive all day... I have done them, but prefer to hunt where the deer are active for time when I am hunting.
I am assuming most of you are talking about hunting funnels and adjacent to doe bedding areas for the cruising stage?
Those spots will be most productive between 9AM & 1PM...
Sometimes in the morning I set up in the funnel before light, but 95% of the time the buck I want comes thru between 9AM & 1PM...
I prefer to sit over a mature bucks bed in the morning, or on a funnel leading to buck bedding for the 1st light... I think most bucks that are not with does head to a buck bedding area at gray light and nap for 2 or 3 hours then get back up knowing the does are bedded and start cruising for hot ones. And some "mature" bucks don't cruise at all... So mornings near the buck beds, quick move to the funnels and doe bedding after the morning move.
So that just leaves the evening... In the evening I find the bucks right at last light cruising food sources inbetween doe bedding and the food.
The "mature" bucks don't just run into the fields like bird dogs chasing and sniffing all the does. They cruise the perimeter about 50/70 yards in
and cross all the doe trails sniffing to see if a hot one went to the field, if so, they go in after her, if not they keep going checking each trail.
So its a good thing to keep tabs on the does.
Soooo, I may hunt all day, but I will likely be making calculated moves to where my best spot for the moment might be. ;)
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:56 am

dan wrote:Ok... Here is my take on all day sits. They normally are not productive all day... I have done them, but prefer to hunt where the deer are active for time when I am hunting.
I am assuming most of you are talking about hunting funnels and adjacent to doe bedding areas for the cruising stage?
Those spots will be most productive between 9AM & 1PM...
Sometimes in the morning I set up in the funnel before light, but 95% of the time the buck I want comes thru between 9AM & 1PM...
I prefer to sit over a mature bucks bed in the morning, or on a funnel leading to buck bedding for the 1st light... I think most bucks that are not with does head to a buck bedding area at gray light and nap for 2 or 3 hours then get back up knowing the does are bedded and start cruising for hot ones. And some "mature" bucks don't cruise at all... So mornings near the buck beds, quick move to the funnels and doe bedding after the morning move.
So that just leaves the evening... In the evening I find the bucks right at last light cruising food sources inbetween doe bedding and the food.
The "mature" bucks don't just run into the fields like bird dogs chasing and sniffing all the does. They cruise the perimeter about 50/70 yards in
and cross all the doe trails sniffing to see if a hot one went to the field, if so, they go in after her, if not they keep going checking each trail.
So its a good thing to keep tabs on the does.
Soooo, I may hunt all day, but I will likely be making calculated moves to where my best spot for the moment might be. ;)

What great info!!!!! Thanks for sharing your info!! Staying mobile during this time period is a huge key to the game for sure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”