Staging

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TNstalker

Staging

Unread postby TNstalker » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:45 am

So the last 3 out of four trips I have found a bed or couple beds but no place that jumps out a says hey we are hanging out here until we feel safe. There are big rubs going to an from the beds but not in a clumped area. So my question how many of you have found beds but no real definded staging area one you had to guess on?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Re: Staging

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:53 am

Im relativly new to beast style but remember spokes of a wheel theory and try and peice it together, dan explains it in
Marsh bucks.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:41 am

A lot of times in more open style bedding, there is not a defined edge or perimeter of the staging area that you can see. You have to sit in the bed, now as far as that buck can see/smell in each direction KNOWING it is safe out to whatever distance, that is his staging area. Another tip from SB is hang an orange hat at the bucks eye level in the bed. Now start walking away from the bed to pick kill trees, this lets you know how close and how high you can get away with visually.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:48 am

Yeah I'm trying to stay real close at least 50 at max at all possible an not hunting from tree all ground Ghillie an a sitting hawk chair. Very comfortable chair more Moblie than a deer stand way easier to pack

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:21 pm

At 50 yards you are well within his staging area most cases. That is going to be some exciting hunting.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:58 pm

Yeah I fig it would be close enough was just trying to get an idea since this will be first year hunting the beds if there is tendencies if how they leave stage whatever u wanna call it.Took me a minute to get it down to be able to read Topo then be pretty sure one would be there. Now just tryin to pick the right trail bucks will leave on I know that varies day to day. Found enough beds this summer to get started with just don't wanna let them know I'm there if I don't get him first time so I'm looking at wind angles thermals his possible exit his entry an mine trying to make the best plan possible.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:34 am

Calling it a "staging area" is a little bit misleading, cause there is really not much different between the staging area and the rest of the trail coming out of bedding. Its just a buck don't like to leave his safe area to far in daylight, and the area a mature buck moves in daylight is often an area where he can hear, see and/or smell from his bed.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:33 pm

Yeah after posting I've seen that several times now lol oh well. Btw dan thank for the info on the nobs of side hills an small details to look for bedding ha become way easier to find have 4 beds found on my private places an 2 more spots to check that have the cover with elevation one of those should have a bed. an a new small farm to check.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”