Rain and thermals

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DeerDylan
500 Club

Rain and thermals

Unread postby DeerDylan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:39 pm

I was wondering if anyone has any hands on experience or theories about rains effect on Thermal activity?

If there was a bedding point in hill country on the leeward side and thermals normally come up during the day, could rain,cloud cover and lower temps surpress the thermal activity or be enough to draw it down ?

That's probably a very generel question with too many variables but worth a try.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Crazinamatese

Re: Rain and thermals

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:15 pm

Rain, cloud cover, lower temps, and even wind do have a negative affect on thermals. I been tinkering the idea of doing an experiment this year by seeing if surface temps on a non-leeward hillside are the same as a leeward hillside on an overcast day with little wind, or a day with precipitation. Its something to look into IMO.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:16 pm

As air temperature changes it goes either up or down. Sun effects this quite a bit as does the direction a slope faces.

Not sure rain alone would do anything but if its a front that changes the temp that means that warm or cool air is moving in. The new air would have to warm or cool to have a thermal effect. So, if a cool front moves in at noon on a sunny day the thermal would not automatically turn to drop.

that make any sense?....... :think:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:00 pm

Yeah Zap I see what you're saying. I've got a point that I have to hunt from the lower side I'm not sure how to beat the thermals other than setting up right as the thermals drop before dark.

I thought maybe some other weather factors could help. I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks guys!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:08 pm

You are on the right track as the thermal flow is one of the most important things to consider when setting up to hunt early or late.

Thermal flow and temperature change are not the same item and an important thing to consider is the amount of sunlight and the compass direction that a slope faces.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”