Going where the bucks are...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: Going where the bucks are...

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:27 am

whitetailassasin wrote:Spy is being overly modest(in a sarcastic way) :lol: He knows exactly how good he is on all fronts. When I first read it, I figured since he doesn't bed hunt, he was meaning how he sits good locations and eventually one comes by. But having noticed his tendencies I think he's being a wise guy :lol:

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Yep I wouldn't bet against him or you

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:38 am

No really. I have never been a guy that took pics, spotlighted got sheds while following a certain buck.Or kill one rising from its bed. Although I had a cam for years, I recently got enough to gather some intel now.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:01 am

Antler inches do not lend themselves to skill.

Period. They may trend that way but there are tons of exceptions. Checkbooks, poachers, the perfect property and even the ol lucky standby kill big deer.

Ive hunted my off in this state and have lost far more of my soul, mind and time with my family than ive gained racks on the wall. Once you leave NY (or the NE for that matter) you see things open for deer opportunity. Ive hunted a ohio a few times and was passing 130" bucks knowing there were 150-170s there. So close a few times but didn't bring any home. I also went pig hunting in florida and they treated 100 bucks like 150s here so things could be worse.

NY blows for so many reasons. I wish I could change my mindset to give up the 100s of hours and dollars hunting here for a week out of state every year.

Off the heels of that other thread you started...lets plan a NE beast out of state hunt for 2016!!!
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:55 am

bump...

Trying to get the creative juices flowing again for my 50th b-day hunt in 2017.

Looks like it will be in Kansas.
I have a few chunks of private that has become available to me via a new acquaintance in Unit #10
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Hunter74

Unread postby Hunter74 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:27 am

I know I can't really complain being in central WI there's some giants around on the public. The one thing I do wish sometimes is they weren't so freaking smart, almost supernatural! I can't help but watch some of the hunting shows and once in a while think to myself man wish I could have one that easy and get away with that much flim flam every once in a while. But then on the other hand my biggest goal is to know how to get it done where 95% of hunters can't so having an easy one isn't gonna teach me anything!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:01 pm

ED, I hope you can get out there and make it happy. Congratulations on making it to 50, too. I've got 3 years to go.

Back in 96 I moved from CT to FL. CT had deer but we hunted more in VT, NH, ME with normal results - a deer every couple of years for the camp, I think I shot 2 mountain deer (doe in 1985 & spike in 1996) in 11 years of trying.

Moved to FL - got 2 spikes and a doe in 13 years of floundering around in the swamps, skeeters, and water moccasins. I could kill wild hogs at will, just not deer.

Decided to hunt GA. Suddenly I'm a better hunter - see more deer in some areas. Get on a good 500-acre lease with very light pressure and suddenly I'm passing bucks - 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 pointers! One weekend seen 40+ deer from the stand. Had a mature buck show up with a busted beam - let him walk! Goodness gracious!

Decide to change spots and hunt with a forum personality who seemed like a real nice guy (I was wrong - micro-manager & saboteur). Headed to SC. Now I'm on two 45-acre leases. Can see deer at a whim - get my best buck (a velvet buck) and settle in, waiting for the crazy wild rut that was supposed to happen. Did see a mature 8 pt chase a doe, that was cool. No really big bucks on trail cams during the deer season and few decent bucks at other times. Stepson saw 25+ does and young bucks in 2 days of hunting a select doe spot.

Anyway - took my dad to SC. He lives in VT. He said the deer were small and there were so many of them it wasn't hunting. He saw 15 does/yearlings in a weekend hunt.

It will blow your mind when you see double digit deer in a day from stand. Enjoy it.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:15 am

Rich M wrote:ED, I hope you can get out there and make it happy. Congratulations on making it to 50, too. I've got 3 years to go.

Back in 96 I moved from CT to FL. CT had deer but we hunted more in VT, NH, ME with normal results - a deer every couple of years for the camp, I think I shot 2 mountain deer (doe in 1985 & spike in 1996) in 11 years of trying.

Moved to FL - got 2 spikes and a doe in 13 years of floundering around in the swamps, skeeters, and water moccasins. I could kill wild hogs at will, just not deer.

Decided to hunt GA. [glow=red]Suddenly I'm a better hunter[/glow] - see more deer in some areas. Get on a good 500-acre lease with very light pressure and suddenly I'm passing bucks - 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 pointers! One weekend seen 40+ deer from the stand. Had a mature buck show up with a busted beam - let him walk! Goodness gracious!

Decide to change spots and hunt with a forum personality who seemed like a real nice guy (I was wrong - micro-manager & saboteur). Headed to SC. Now I'm on two 45-acre leases. Can see deer at a whim - get my best buck (a velvet buck) and settle in, waiting for the crazy wild rut that was supposed to happen. Did see a mature 8 pt chase a doe, that was cool. No really big bucks on trail cams during the deer season and few decent bucks at other times. Stepson saw 25+ does and young bucks in 2 days of hunting a select doe spot.

Anyway - took my dad to SC. He lives in VT. He said the deer were small and there were so many of them it wasn't hunting. He saw 15 does/yearlings in a weekend hunt.

[glow=red]It will blow your mind when you see double digit deer in a day from stand[/glow]. Enjoy it.

Thanks, great dialog..!
My out of state endeavors have produced the same insight:
TX, AL, OH, MO - I've seen more deer in a few days of hunting than a normal year in NH...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”