Putting all your buck eggs into one basket

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Putting all your buck eggs into one basket

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:09 am

I thought about this after posting some information on a couple other threads. So I thought I'd start a new thread. Dan mentioned about bucks bedding in between the hunter and the doe bedding. I spouted off how I don't let that happen. This is one example of what I was talking about. I Like to be able to illustrate what I say.

This is one example of what I'm talking about. In the picture below this is public ground. The buck is bedding on private ground that I don't have permission. I had a buck patterned last year and he was going down through that bottle neck right at dark. There is boots to the ground scouting, this was tires to the ground scouting. ;) I put together a plan of attack. I was going to have someone drop me off on the East side where the timber is narrow. The moving car would be a diversion so to speak. I was going to walk the timber edge and set up where the yellow dot is.

I'm all about low impact with good results and second chances. I wanted a SW wind. I could have hunted with many other winds. But I wanted my wind blowing into an area that wouldn't burn any more timber/hunting area. I think I called this blowing into waste land. I don't know if there are more deer bedded in the timber so why ruin any chance? Thus I wouldn't put all my eggs into one basket.

As it turns out I didn't get the wind I wanted. The buck changed his pattern, as I was hunting another area that I killed a buck in. So I never did hunt that pre planned set up. :cry: I know, I know, poor me!!! :lol:

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Putting all your buck eggs into one basket

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:34 pm

Looks like a great setup. A southwest wind looks like the best. I would wait for that southwest wind. Northwest doesn't look bad blowing torwards the road to the southeast. I'm not sure if the bucks pattern would change greatly on a northwest wind with it blowing into the bucks back. Hopefully this year you can get on that buck on the perfect wind.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:41 pm

Thats a good set up Stan...
lungpuncher1

Unread postby lungpuncher1 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:20 pm

Judy curious Stanley, if you came in from the road where you were dropped off and walked to your stand wouldn't your wind have blown into the eastern woods? Maybe I'm misunderstanding where you were walking in from... I'm not questioning but learning

[ Post made via Android ] Image
lungpuncher1

Unread postby lungpuncher1 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:22 pm

Never mind... I see your travel route marked now.

jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:54 pm

Thanks for sharing, always nice to see set ups drawn out

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:56 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:Looks like a great setup. A southwest wind looks like the best. I would wait for that southwest wind. Northwest doesn't look bad blowing torwards the road to the southeast. I'm not sure if the bucks pattern would change greatly on a northwest wind with it blowing into the bucks back. Hopefully this year you can get on that buck on the perfect wind.

I haven't seen hide nor hair of him. He very well could have been killed by other hunters. I'm still looking though.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
rutjunkie

Unread postby rutjunkie » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:18 pm

Love the maps, maps are worth a thousand words. Lol

There is only so many Novembers in ones life, make the most of them.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:37 pm

lungpuncher1 wrote:Judy curious Stanley, if you came in from the road where you were dropped off and walked to your stand wouldn't your wind have blown into the eastern woods? Maybe I'm misunderstanding where you were walking in from... I'm not questioning but learning

Ed wonder who Judy is?
:lol: LOL
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:57 pm

I started another thread as not to hijak this one.

I think you have a good question and will provoke great conversation, however, I'm stuck on "having choices to hunt more than one buck"...
For me; reality is I hope to see a good buck, and my definition of a good buck is +100". A great buck would be worthy of scoring +120"!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:51 am

Looks like a good setup. Hope he or another buck moves back in for u.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”