Passing on Bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

moog5050
500 Club

Passing on Bucks

Unread postby moog5050 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:58 am

Just curious how many of you will pass on a quality buck waiting for a specific buck that you targeted? I would not as I am not yet at that stage and may never get there. I simply don't have enough interactions with bucks 3.5 or older to do that each season, but I suspect some of you do. That is some serious self control or perhaps an obsession with a target buck.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Passing on Bucks

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:13 am

2.5 are hard for me to pass also. I have passesd a few up tho when I only had one tag left. Usually there is a 3.5 in my area but they are hard to hunt down in Michigan.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:27 am

If you know there are bigger... you can pass
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:32 am

Being brought up in the era of if it has "horns" shoot it. It was really hard at first to pass up any buck. As one gets older though or has maybe killed some nice 2.5 y.o.'s. It gets easier. Also if one shifts gears a little and starts hunting areas that actually hold mature bucks. You start seeing them and you get hooked on letting the smaller young bucks go.

Just remember to keep things fun for YOU!! Don't let peer pressure make you hunt in a way that makes you lose the enjoyment of hunting. Progress at your own pace.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:35 am

I think that it mostly boils down to how many tags you have and what your main goals are.

My main goal is to put meat in the freezer so I have a hard time passing deer. Given the choice I will always shoot the bigger bodied deer regardless of rack size.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:49 am

Does eat well too and they are easier to drag. No use dragging or eating bucks if they are also not what you have targeted.

That being said, shoot what makes you happy.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:56 am

If the buck trips my trigger I'll pull the trigger. I pass on a few bucks almost every year.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dkoy85

Unread postby dkoy85 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:04 am

Like Bucky said, "If you know there are bigger... you can pass." Now, passing on a 3.5 y/o 120's 8 point not knowing if there are bigger makes it difficult... especially in a state that is hard to hunt.

My skills and will were tested in Iowa last year when I passed up some beautiful 3-4 y/o bucks, up into the 140's to hold off for a giant I knew was in there and I had an opportunity at him on the 8th day of a 10 day hunt, only to miss and shoot a 3.5 y/o the next day. If I didn't know he was in there I would have certainly shot a few of the bucks I passed and never had an opportunity at the beast. But because your question was about passing up quality bucks to go after a target buck, then I'd have to say it's easier than you think if you're confident in your skills.

On a side note, that giant beast of an Iowa buck was incredibly vocal with his roars- in fact they were very eery and sent a chill down my spine the first few times I heard them. I've heard many roars before but never heard anything like his roars, ever. Needless to say him and the doe he was with were the only two deer in that block of timber, so go gentle on those roars guys and gals.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:05 am

Never...

If it's over 100" it's dead if I have a say so...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:09 am

If I have a target buck, which here is probably a 3.5, Ill shoot any other 3.5 yr old if Im lucky enough to see a different one. I pass anything that isnt the oldest age class that exist in each area.

In my main hunting area I see does groups every day, so if Im after meat Ill take those. Its still lots of fun.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:28 am

I guess my point was that I have no problem passing 2.5s, but when a 3.5 wanders by, I won't hold off even if I know there is a bigger one around. Here in NY, I just don't have sufficient opportunities to do so. I know some areas a 3.5 is no big deal, so in those areas, do you hold off on a 4-5 year old because of you know of a better target in the area?

Perhaps the better question is are you really targeting a specific buck or 2, or looking for a certain age class? Yes, we always have targets picked out preseason, but it seems I am really looking for an age class and not necessarily a specific buck to let an arrow fly.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:36 am

I have passed many bucks and was glad I did, have passed a few bucks which I later regretted, and even passed some really nice bucks then happily killed somewhat smaller bucks later in the year. If you want to see a buck grow or don't want to quit hunting, let it walk. If you want to shoot it fire away. Always base your judgement on where you hunt and keep in mind standards are not worth bragging about.

Just to me standards are best kept fluid depending on time and circumstance. I will go after a specific buck but typically am not single minded about it - that generally ends bad for me. I like to challenge myself but that helps keep the fun in it.
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:02 am

moog5050 wrote:
Perhaps the better question is are you really targeting a specific buck or 2, or looking for a certain age class? Yes, we always have targets picked out preseason, but it seems I am really looking for an age class and not necessarily a specific buck to let an arrow fly.

Ive never thought I chose a "target" buck, but at home by 3.5 they dont have much competition. Its clear to me they are the biggest I have, and pictures make it clear they are few and far between, but Ill take any similar buck. This year I have a surviving 3.5 and 4.5 at my main hunting ground. I dont know if Id pass the 3 waiting for the 4yr old, but I know I wont be shooting any 1's and 2's.

As said, it comes down to knowing your area. You cant shoot what isnt there, so personal restrictions need to be relative to the area.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:14 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Never...

If it's over 100" it's dead if I have a say so...

I respect your honesty Ed! 8-)

For me if the buck is respectable and I have a clean kill it's going down. I have eaten too many tags over the years waiting for a big one. Shot a few but it's getting harder as the years go on. My prime years physically are behind me so now I'm hunting for fun and if I like the buck and it's a memorable hunt I'm pleased. Only shot's I'm passing on are the low percentage ones.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:26 am

Dewey wrote: My prime years physically are behind me so now I'm hunting for fun and if I like the buck and it's a memorable hunt I'm pleased. Only shot's I'm passing on are the low percentage ones.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

That is an issue for me as well. Too many aftermarket parts.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”