He's bedding on the neighbors.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

He's bedding on the neighbors.

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:03 am

Let's say you're getting pics of a target buck, but he only shows on camera a hour after dark, and your pretty confident that he is bedded on the neighbors property about 150 yards away.

How do you go about hunting this deer? More importantly, when?

Do you wait until later in the season, maybe that last week of October, when they are venturing out a little farther before darkness sets in?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

hunter10
500 Club

Re: He's bedding on the neighbors.

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:19 am

I deal with this issue on a few of the farms I hunt. Some times I wait until the pre rut and rut to enter the farm hoping does will stay in the bedding areas pulling the bucks across the fence. Other times it comes down to food. Early season on "bobs" farm may be beans but come late season, my side of the fence is corn.. so the deer come my way. I hope you smack one. I have had some troubles getting onto bucks that live on the neighbours
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:56 am

It all depends on what the property border is like, woods to woods, beans to corn, corn to beans, corn to corn or beans to beans. If he is only 150 yards over the line he probably visits your property at least occasionally during day light. The transition at the property line will clue you into when he is more likely to come your way.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:47 am

I run into these situations a lot. I try and pattern the buck on the property I can hunt. Observation stands, glassing, cameras things like this. I also think you have to hunt your property by not putting all your one eggs in one basket.

This is one example of what I'm talking about. In the picture below this is public ground. The buck is bedding on private ground that I don't have permission. I had a buck patterned last year and he was going down through that bottle neck right at dark. I put together a plan of attack. I was going to have someone drop me off on the East side where the timber is narrow. I was going to walk the timber edge and set up where the yellow dot is.

I'm all about low impact with good results and second chances. I wanted a SW wind. I could have hunted hunted with many other winds. But I wanted my wind blowing into an area that wouldn't burn any more timber. I don't know if there are more deer bedded in the timber so why ruin any chance? Thus I wouldn't put all my eggs into one basket.

As it turns out I didn't get the wind I wanted. The buck changed his pattern, as I was hunting another area That I killed a buck in. So I never did hunt that pre planned set up. I know, I know, poor me!!! :lol:

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”