Bow hunting during a storm/rain???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

remmag
500 Club

Bow hunting during a storm/rain???

Unread postby remmag » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:32 pm

So the shop I work at sits next to two agriculture fields that has a thick fenceline that separates them. During the summer when all the doors are open I get the privelage of sitting by my mahine and observing the local deer herd and there behavior.

They don't come out every night, especially if there's real high winds or thunderstorms but they do feed in rain. In fact today we have had hard rain all day and there are more deer out feeding tonight than I have ever seen before.

It got me thinking....I NEVER go out during a rain and if a steady rain picks up while on stand I pack up and leave. Am I missing out on good activity here? Since I've been on the BEAST it seems I've read alot of kills have been made while hunting during or directly after a rain shower. Any thoughts or techniques?

My main concern has always been fear of the blood trail being washed away...as well as always being told growing up that deer bed in storms and that it's low success rate arrowing one during that time

[ Post made via Android ] Image

PK_
500 Club

Re: Bow hunting during a storm/rain???

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:05 pm

We have sat through some fear inspiring afternoon thunderstorms, tropical storms and even some outer bands of hurricanes. We have killed good bucks before, during and after these events.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:24 pm

I look forward to hunting in the rain.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:45 pm

Actually, I like before and after a rain. Although, I do best when it's foggy. I can walk in the woods very quietly and they seem to move a lot more. The second day of gun season this year was foggy. You couldn't se 50 yds but I was amazed at all the tracks made just a few hrs before dark. Most likely going to 100ac of private land with several guys baiting on it. None the less, there were a lot of tracks considering the few deer up north.
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:53 pm

PK_ wrote:We have sat through some fear inspiring afternoon thunderstorms, tropical storms and even some outer bands of hurricanes. We have killed good bucks before, during and after these events.

Any lost blood trails? That's my biggest fear...no sense in hunting miserable conditions if you can't find the deer after the shot...this has been my mindset that keeps me inside on rainy days anyways :lol:

lungpuncher1

Unread postby lungpuncher1 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:02 pm

I finally saw my target buck for the first time while on stand last year 20 minutes after it started raining. I had just texted my fiancé I was about to leave due to rain.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:12 pm

I don't hunt in the rain like I used to. I prefer right after a rain storm. I only ever arrowed one buck in a torrential down pour. It was also the only non typical buck I have ever arrowed. The last buck I killed was 2009 it had rained for 2 1/2 days straight. I was camping away from home. It slowed down to a drizzle I went out and killed a buck the first 30 seconds in the stand.

In 1984 It was early season I got up before light and it was pouring outside. I went hunting and it was miserable. Did not see a deer. I don't know many hunters dumb enough to hunt in those conditions. That day stuck in my mind for a long time. I remember getting up to hunt after that day and it was raining. I went back to bed.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:40 pm

I haven't hunted much in heavy rain. I have had good luck in a light rain and right after a rain.

Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:10 pm

I have hunted an kept my seat to the middle of a couple decent showers. That was back before we could look at the radar on the phones. Now I like trying to be seated just as the back side is starting to move out of the area. Nothing like an all day rain an stops raining the last couple hours of daylight in the evening.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:20 am

I have seen good bucks right after a good rain, when that rain stops it seems to get them up

hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:24 am

I wont hunt in a storm or big downpour but a light rain or drizzle wont keep me out of the stand. It is easier to sneak about the bush especially if you want to bed hunt or sneak into a tight area. I also think the dark cloud cover especially during first and last light give deer a false sense of security and can be caught returning to bed late or making their way to feed earlier in he PM
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:54 am

hunter10 wrote:I wont hunt in a storm or big downpour but a light rain or drizzle wont keep me out of the stand. It is easier to sneak about the bush especially if you want to bed hunt or sneak into a tight area. I also think the dark cloud cover especially during first and last light give deer a false sense of security and can be caught returning to bed late or making their way to feed earlier in he PM

Same here.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:52 am

I remember when I first started bowhunting I had a successful veteran bowhunter tell me the most important piece of equipment for a bowhunter is good rain gear because some of his best hunts was in or around rain storms. He was right

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”