The Heats Effect on Buck Movement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampbuck

The Heats Effect on Buck Movement

Unread postby Swampbuck » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:01 am

Our season opens in October and its pretty warm. Outside of the days of cool fronts the average is low 80s. It cools off around Thanksgiving and thats usually when things pick up as well but for many obvious reasons. How much effect have you guys seen the warm weather have on bucks daytime movements? And how do you adjust your hunting to these warm times

Make It Happen
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Re: The Heats Effect on Buck Movement

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:18 am

I'll add water is also a non-factor here. The deer don't move to water to drink. According to local biologist the deer get 95% of their water intake from the vegetation here. Just wanted to kind of rule that out because I know a lot of the northern guys key on water holes when it's dry & hot.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:36 am

Connecticut's archery season starts on September 15th and it is plenty warm here. I usually do AM/PM hunts as it gets to got during the day.

IMO water is still a factor as the deer will lay in it to cool off on really hot days.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:42 am

Low 80's is a cool front in our early season. Boy that type of weather really gets 'em rockin' and rollin'.

Really though, it is only 1st and last hour of light you see any movement on hot days down here, sometimes a secluded shady oak hammock that butts up to a swamp with bedding you will see movement outside those periods, basically all day if the deer feel safe there.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:48 am

I usually do AM/PM hunts as it gets to got during the day.

x2
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:22 am

Its more about how hot it is relative to what it usually is. In September you get hot days in the upper Midwest deer don't necessarily have their full winter coats yet so it doesn't bother them as much.

If you get 80 degrees in October when they have their winter coats daylight deer movement gets torpedoed. I wouldn't hunt those days unless I had some really good water/bedding combo setup.

I would say its like wearing a T-shirt when it is 80 compared to a heavy jacket.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”