When to start using observation stands

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

fishlips
500 Club

When to start using observation stands

Unread postby fishlips » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:34 am

When do you guys start using observation stands? I have a property where I think it might be easiest to get up in a tree on an evening to see what is moving around out there. Could put a trail cam out, but the property has a decent amount of traffic going through it and am worried it might walk away.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: When to start using observation stands

Unread postby dan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:41 am

Now would be a good time if you are sitting in a spot where you won't do damage... It might not set you up for a kill now, but you will know what bucks are hanging in what areas, and the size range. I have located some big bucks in july/august and later killed them.
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:42 am

I sat in one for the first time this year on Sunday evening. I'll continue using them for the next month and a half until season opens. These are FAR from where I will hunt so never disturbing the kill zones, and I take a good set of binocs and have now added a spotting scope into the mix. To keep the spotting scope steady and usable, I made a little bipod that attaches to the front two corners of the stand via some simple clamps, and it holds it steady enough to work. It's not rock solid, but good enough to get details on the longer distances.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:51 am

I think I have a spot where I can watch from a good distance and wind should be favorable. Binocs and spotting scope are a good idea. Might need to bring those along.

After looking again at the aerial, where I want to set up is right next to a bean field. My wind should be blowing into the bean field and I should have a good view toward where I suspect the deer are bedding. Would you guys have any concerns about scent in the field? I can't hunt the other side of the field, so right now I don't care if my scent is blowing that direction.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:55 am

I agree with Dan. The thing to remember is things will change between now and the start of season. I have kind of switched to more trail camera observation now instead of observation stands. I like the observation stands much better closer to season start.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”