WEEGEE

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WEEGEE

Re: WEEGEE

Unread postby WEEGEE » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:47 am

thanks guys ,you make me feel good about being here.
i might re post some of the stories i started on AT to give those that never read any of them, to break the ice...just to get a feel if you guys like the tips that go along with the stories.

but i won't get carried away :naughty:

close shot artist PSE AXE-PSE DNA
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:55 am

I can assure you that any tips or experience you would like to share will be greatly appreciated by this group.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:03 am

WEEGEE wrote:thanks guys ,you make me feel good about being here.
i might re post some of the stories i started on AT to give those that never read any of them, to break the ice...just to get a feel if you guys like the tips that go along with the stories.

but i won't get carried away :naughty:

Get carried away. It's the offseason so we need some hunting stories

Make It Happen
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:10 am

Feel free to post those stories WEEGEE. Then I don't have to go on AT haha
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:15 am

Swampbuck wrote:Get carried away. It's the offseason so we need some hunting stories

X2

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:24 am

x3.. we need some good reading to get through the next month.

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:50 am

WEEGEE wrote:i started a post on AT a few months ago to pass on my knowledge using a fictitious pair named JOE and EARL.

I'm about half-way through your thread on AT on Joe and Earl..........probably the best I've read on that site. :clap: Thanks for posting.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:04 am

Lets hear em weegee :D I wont take your trophies the wrong way. most of the time it drives me to be a better hunter!
WEEGEE

Unread postby WEEGEE » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:27 pm

some things i learned in 50 yrs bow hunting
I would like to share some things I learned,mostly the hard way. let me start by saying this.
I'm 66 now and have only 1 grandson(2.5yrs) and the son-in-laws don't care to hunt. so I would like to pass some knowledge on to newer bowhunters,before i go to hunt with FRED.

I have hunted deer, with a bow since i was 15, but had a bow at age 5.hunted all over the Midwest and Canada.i've killed over 400 with a bow.I'm not here to brag,few really know me and my story ,but that's for another day.

a few days ago there was a thread about hunting in the mornings ,in early season. there were many sides to that thread and many different views,on this subject.
what i want to do is share some insight,as to the percentages of killing a deer,period.

this post has no one right answer or no wrong answers.nothing, is in concrete,concerning bowhunting, for deer. what works for one ,might not work at all for another,at all. too many different situations, to say one way works,we know that's not the right answer.
about every two weeks or so i'll come up with some tips/ideas that might help a newbie on his desire to kill a deer.

for the sake of arguing and trying not to ruffle feathers,this is only what i have learned in the deer woods for a half century.
there is no debate as to what i post ,because this is my thoughts and things i learned.

let's start by the thread on hunting early season ,with bow and let me give you something to think about.
let us use this example, for starters.
young hunter with 30-40ac woods to hunt he is the only hunter and lets just say he has two stands in his woods.
first thing he has to ask himself is.what deer do i want to kill.do i want a mature buck-doe for freezer-1 buck and doe-shoot a doe first then buck hunt the rest of the season? these questions must be thought out before he begins. each answer has it's problems and has consequences.
the whitetail comes in different series. you have the mature buck 3.5 and older-the old doe that's 3.5 and older-your bucks 1.5 old and 1.5 does and fawns. each one of these has different ways they deal with surviving in their world.

ok lets start his hunt with his decision to kill a doe for the freezer as a start. the very first time on a stand has your highest percentage of killing a deer.that means no one has been in that woods for anything(stands-cam-mushrooms etc.etc)
every trip to that stand ,your percentages go down.
his first trip in he jumps some deer,it doesn't matter which deer at this point we'll cover each one later. so he gets excited to his encounter on his first trip to the stand.

lets say he can hunt three days a week and he does just that.every sat and tue. and thus. he goes to the woods.
ok now 2 weeks have gone by and he has seen some deer but no shots yet,sound familiar?

now lets look at one deer ,the big old mature buck and what has he done?
lets say joe got in and out of the woods undetected
,with the leaves still on and not much sound going in and out.
if he is bedded in the woods or close by he gets up and starts his normal routine at this time. he finds joe's trail the first time joe went to the stand. he comes to alert mode. he's not scared ,but alert as to that trail. and again on sat night he runs across that same "hot" trail.this time he will leave that part of the woods,if joe is lucky. now joe goes to the stand again,here's where trouble begins he might be seen or heard at anytime he goes,but lets say he finally gets seen on his fourth trip in. that buck was alerted the first time ,nose got burnt again on joes second or third time going and coming out. now he has seen the human predator.

GOOD BYE he will leave for a week or longer,if he comes back a week later and joe now has a super hiway going to his stand,that buck will leave for the season!
joe might see him in a near by field, but now that buck won't come back ,even for acorns,in joe's woods.

you see joe's decision to to kill a doe first just cost him a buck later on. there is some things that might happen,but that's for a later topic.
now did joe ever get his doe? every day he goes in his chances go down.
but joe now has a bigger problem, than the buck leaving! that old nag that's 5-7 yrs old,that has twins for 5 yrs she is on to joe too. she is on the same playing field as the buck,but with different concerns of her own.she too has smelled joes trail several times and she just might have been one of the deer joe spooked the very first day. she won't leave her woods quite as fast as the buck ,but will soon. now joe has a bigger problem now than ever. nag is on to him but she is a protector of the herd. all her sisters daughters and all the fawns will follow her!

if joe keeps this up he can and without a doubt wipe out his chance of not only getting a doe,but almost no chance of that mature buck that was staying there.

i said ever time joe goes after that freezer doe his percentages goes down but ,that was his decision to hunt that way.
could it be done a different way? you bet it can!
what's joes decision cost him this season?

he hunted his 30 ac woods all of the month of oct for a freezer deer /or just to be out in the woods because he could.he now has run the buck and momma doe off and no chance they'll be back ,any time soon. when the buck starts to run her,she won't come back to joe's woods and she took all the other does with her.

could he do it another way? you bet he could it takes some different decisions,on joes part.
what could joe do differently?
could he have gotten that buck???yes could he have gotten the doe,for the freezer??? yes.

next post i'll talk about joes trail back and forth the thing he did ,or did't do and what he should have done to get his deer.

remember this is just an example of just one situation,in time!
WEEGEE

Unread postby WEEGEE » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:35 pm

joe's problems part 2

Joe made some decisions that didn't turn out ,the way he wanted.he never got the deer for the freezer or a buck on his wall.
what other ways could Joe have made a good season?
well lets see what he could have done better.

Joe was limited on his hunting ground (30-40ac) he could have asked for more permission,from nearby farmers. etc.etc.
the more places he has, the higher his percentages of accomplishing his dreams.
but for now, lets say Joe was stuck with his 30 ac woods.

joe's decision to take a doe first and hunt the rest of the year for a buck,wasn't a bad idea. he just went about it wrong!

here's where Joe went wrong.
before the season started Joe has to know a buck is in ,or nearby his woods.he might have seen him,or someone told him they saw a big buck outside of his woods. but for this example Joe heard about him,but never laid eyes on this buck.
his decision has to be made now,not next month ,when season opens.

Joe has some options available to him and he has to follow them to the letter,no short cuts here.
Joe can start this process now.
he has the following options, get a cam and some mineral blocks- a spotting scope-binos. these are tools he can use.
now if he plays to win he can "see" this buck ,with some luck,if indeed that buck lives there. another thing he needs to do is walk the edges of the fields and creeks to see the tracks the buck leaves. once he is convinced the buck is there ,stop walking.

Joe needs to set his cam up on the very outside perimeter,of his woods,never on the inside he has to get in and out with the least amount of scent
he must ,at all cost, stay out of the woods. he can check his cams bi weekly. another tip Joe needs to learn here while checking his cams or putting up his stand the first time make some noise.
when he gets there going to check his cam lets say Joe walks back a lane to the woods,he needs to be heard for a long ways.
i would tell him to wear a cow bell around his neck.that buck cannot be jumped or scared at this time. he must be aware your walking toward the woods. if he can see or hear you a long way off,he's not scared ,but alerted a predator is coming his way.
he will just stay where he is and watch you.
this works to joe's favor two ways. the first is Joe is seen as an inconvenience and not a predator and the buck will already know that trail was made by that human he saw/heard today.
Joe has to spend time with the spotting scope /binos in the month of July thru Sept. he has to put in time watching every deer and keeping notes as to when,where,how many,where they came out and which way they went and most importantly what was the buck doing.

joe's cam might be in the wrong side of the woods and never gets a pic of him.. but he knows he lives there.
soon Joe will know where that buck comes out and what field/creek/fence row/low spot he uses.
the season is near so Joe needs to put up his stand.
more decisions to make.Joe has to know the prevailing wind and how to get to the woods with out being seen,heard,or leaving a trail that might be discovered .
he has to use caution here, he knows the buck has been feeding in the been field right at dark so he needs his stand on the edge(never inside his woods)the woods are too small.any noise can be heard across the woods and that wont work.
now if i was there with Joe i would tell him,Joe there's a storm coming tomorrow this is the perfect time to set your stand.
Joe needs to go in making the noise(cow bell) to set and cut a lanes making noise all the time.

Joe could go to the woods with a chain saw all day and old momma doe will lay there and sleep listening to that saw run.
also when Joe leaves she might even go over to see what joe's wood pile looks like and the scent won't bother her at all.
so if they know your there and your not a predator,they won't leave joe's woods.

ok joes first time on stand.his stand was set up a month ago and he hasn't been back there since he has just watched from the road.
Joe now has the best chance of getting his buck.but remember every time he goes to that stand his percentages go down. he can't afford to burn it up now.
if Joe doesn't get a shot today he must let that stand sit for a few days. he has time on his side now!
now Joe is in the position to get his buck better than last yr. he has his stand set,he hasn't run the buck ,or momma out .

now lets take a look at joe's trail to the stand.did he walk along an edge of a field/fence row/creek?
is the deer going to walk the same trail? Joe has to be in stealth mode all the time to protect his deer ,in his woods.
Joe could put some scent on his boots,but lets look at that.

Joe takes ,in this example ,fox urine and sprays the bottom of his boots.did this help or hurt his trail?
well lets look at it from a deer's perspective. how many times has that buck come across a foxes trail,in his life?
he can smell two tracks and tell which way the fox was going. now look at how many tracks in a 10' trail.
that fox has a one inch sq track and maybe two or three tracks a foot. now here goes joe walking with his size 10 boots with fox urine,
can that mature buck/doe tell the difference? if they can tell which way the fox/yote was going ,do you think they can tell something isn't right with that trail? does it look like a fox was rolling through the woods? was there a herd of fox?

it might not scare them ,but it will put them in an alert mode. Joe really can't take chances now,he must get in and out without letting the deer knowing it.
can Joe try something else? could he use something natural,that might not scare them?
he could try cover up scent,he might come up with some scent elimination spray many things to try to help.
yes he could ,he won't make his trail disappear,but it might help dissipate it enough to help. or if joes neighbors have cows or horses he just might have a better cover up. he could get a bucket of cow patties and a scoop with a lid. when Joe gets out of the truck he could put a pile down and stomp in it. it would be a natural smell to the deer and just a chance they won't be alerted ,so much.

Joe just might have to go up wind right out across an open field to go a direct line to his stand.
lets see if we can help Joe get this buck.
WEEGEE

Unread postby WEEGEE » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:39 pm

joe's on the right track now!
he has a better chance to get that buck he has pics/seen and let's see we can help him with his stand placement too.
Joe has seen this buck come out to feed several times now.he comes in to the field about 50 yrds. or so from a corner of the woods.

it's going to rain in the morning so Joe is going to put his stand up today.
he is going to the woods ,making noise and talking all the time.he doesn't want to sneak in and spook the deer at this time.they will hear/see him,but he's no threat now.
he can't go on the trail the buck used or really get near it. but there's a spot Joe needs to find.this spot will be easy to find if Joe knows what he is looking for.
he really needs to look for two,or three things that will cover the most in this spot.
first he really doesn't need a stand very far from the edge(too small of a woods) his entry and exit will play a major part here.
he also needs to know at some point that buck will use a different trail for the rut purpose
that faint trail will be appx 20 yrds. inside the woods edge from end to end. he will use that trail to spot check the does entering the woods from their feeding. he will walk parallel to the field,just inside the woods. now if Joe is lucky here he can place his stand on the down wind side of the bucks trail to the field(he hasn't changed his summer/fall feeding pattern yet) and still be close enough to the (rut) trail.

Joe can use any stand ,but it must be high enough and his back ground must be brushy,so he isn't sky lined.
he also must clear his path and not cut too many limbs for shooting lanes. he can't leave the cut limbs laying around and try very hard not to disturb the ground around his tree.
now will all of this help Joe get his buck?

lets look at his position now. he can get to his stand early without leaving too much of a scent trail-he can get in quietly and he is in a brushy tree with back ground cover. the rain will wash away today's scent. now Joe has to wait for the right wind ,so he can go to the stand with the wind to his face and it's blowing back out in the field where Joe just come from. he hasn't stunk up his woods ,he has minimum disturbance to the deer,and he's one step closer to getting his buck!
now Joe can only use that stand in the right wind and he can't use it every day.remember we want him to get the very highest percentages he can get. now Joe can go to his other stand that we'll help him with ,later on.

we will give Joe some "tricks" to help him get his buck closer and keep Joe undetected. now Joe can concentrate on his freezer deer ne
WEEGEE

Unread postby WEEGEE » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:43 pm

i thought this over for awhile and i have come to this conclusion.

i could post my trophy wall,man cave,bow collection,atv,4x4 but,do you judge a man's collection,as to what his real hunting abilities are?
these things, are only tangible items that only means something to me.
all these things will be pasted on to my family.

if i hunted all my life on a high fenced ranch and paid many thousands of dollars for my collection,but i couldn't tell a doe track ,from a buck track
does my wall impress anyone?
what i'm giving here is some wisdom,that you can't buy. how could you put a price on 50 yrs of bow hunting deer?
these things i want to pass on to the younger hunter ,that needs some insight,to help them get a better hunting experience.

posting my deer wall would serve no purpose here. you remember i said ,i'm not here to brag or tell anyone they're right or wrong,only to think about choices and trying to make the most ,of what they have.

we are going to help joe put up a doe/buck stand next, and see what his choices will be, and how he uses theses stands.
WEEGEE

Unread postby WEEGEE » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:47 pm

OK joes got his "buck" stand set and now he has another stand to set.
joes second stand needs just as much thought ,maybe even more,that the first one.

joes overall problem is his woods size. at 30 ac he could mess everything up with too many stands.
what Joe has to keep, in mind is wind and his approaches.Joe needs to know his woods long before season is upon him.
Joe needs to know lay ,of the woods-oak trees - thickets - previous rubs/scrapes - water holes - trails in/out to the fields-food/farm crops.
these all play a part in his 2nd stand as opposed to his buck stand.

lets keep in mind joes decision to get his buck is foremost,then his freezer deer later on. he might get lucky and do just that in one day.
but Joe isn't that lucky. so some things he must look for now.
is there a creek-fence row leading to his woods? could there be a pencil of woods that jot out away from his woods?
is there any unusual characteristics about his woods,that stands out?

any one of these could be a place Joe needs to consider in his next step. these places are doe magnets and each one needs to be looked at with the approach/wind direction being front and center.
the same thing applies to this stand as the first stand.not too far in and to the down wind side.he needs some openings to shoot through.
if its a creek coming in to his woods just inside the woods 15 yrds. or so.
if it's a pencil sticking out,same thing,just inside,a little ways.
same with a fence row. now Joe doesn't know this, but most of the does, will walk along those "edges" some might veer to one side or the other just as they are about to enter the woods itself. but joes buck will be from 20-50 yrds. out when he comes through in daylight.

Joe has to be just inside,but far enough to get cover and not be picked off. deer will look to the trees when coming in, more than going out.
when they're going out they will watch the field more. joes stand should be facing the field for two reasons.
one, is deer coming from the field make no noise and when they look ,Joe is standing up next to the trunk and won't be seen easily.
two the deer coming from the woods make more noise and Joe can slowly get stood up and ready. joes percentages go up when they pass him going out to feed. in the mornings Joe can let them enter the woods. at that time their eyes will be scanning the woods.

lets say Joe is right handed so the stand should be set to him taking the shot to his left,more so than to his right.
Joe isn't done yet same as first stand, he must enter with the least amount scent trail he can. and never go in the woods.
another choice Joe has to look at, is the food when making his stand choice. beans =early corn=late acorns=both.

joes buck can be caught in any field but the percentages go to beans first just by a little. corn however is the more preferred
because of several reasons they can eat ,sleep,never be seen and can get away from the bugs.
if Joe picks the the right spot he can watch the deer come out of the corn for water and acorns.and his buck scent checking later on ,if joes first stand doesn't pay off.
joe must understand the wind in this game too.
in this example lets say joes stand is on the outside the woods not far from the corner,maybe 50 yrds. or so.
ol Joe looks to see a deer walking about 50 yrds. inside the woods going down wind to the back.the deer is straight across from joe and they both are 50 yrds. to the end of the woods.she stops ...head jerk...stomp....blows and runs back the way she came.

now Joe is going to swear that doe could not have smelled him.the wind was blowing straight toward the end of the woods and same for her. she had to smelled something else! see Joe didn't realize the wind is slower inside the woods ,than on the outside .outside the wind speed is going to be higher. so what happens is on both outsides of joes woods the wind is stronger than the inside,so when the wind got to the back of the woods it spins like small tornadoes on each side. then it blows back into the woods until the speed is equal. yeah that doe smelled Joe and he got caught.

poor Joe just as he thought it was a walk, in the park ,we lay down something else on him.
don't worry Joe we'll get those back straps on the grill soon!
WEEGEE

Unread postby WEEGEE » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:53 pm

OK now let's see where Joe is now.

he has two stands up and he learned where the buck "might" come from and where the does "might" be going to feed.
he has his approach to the stands figured and what foot scent he could use.

but before we can go much further we need to ask Joe somethings.
we really need to know the deer density in joe's section. we need to know just how many deer has seen this summer.
how many has he seen driving back and forth to work. also how many roadkills he has seen.

you see Joe has to know for certain ,because it means, what tools we can give him.
Joe said he only seen 2 bucks and about 6 does at his woods and maybe 1 doe or so in a week driving 10 miles to work and back.
he also said he hasn't seen over 25 or so deer all summer in the fields.
so with this information we can limit the tools that Joe takes to his stand. if joe's woods were full of deer...lets say Joe had the top spot in his county to hunt. he had 200 ac full of crp fields swamps,food plots ,corn,bean fields. every time he sat on stand he could see deer,somewhere.
we could open up the tool shed and give him all the tools.

we could give him the robotic buck with 2 doe decoys,that turned his head and wagged his tail-monster rattling horns- drip bottles a case of deer lure.a canister full of fogger scent-9 different grunt calls -and several can calls. this way the more lines you have in the water ,the more chance you have to catch a fish!

but this is far from what Joe has to work with. he is going to be very limited on his tools he can take to the woods.....here's why.
lets say Joe is sitting on his stand early one frosty morning in the first week of Nov. he looks across the field and about 75-100 yrds. away ,Joe sees his 8 pt buck he's been after. Joe uses either the grunt call or smacks his rattling horns together. the buck stops and jerks his head up and immediately stares at the sound. he stands there for 10 sec. and jumps the fence or goes back into the woods,headed a 180 away from Joe!

Joe says what the.....why did he do that?

well lets look at just what happened. the buck obviously didn't like what he heard.....why?
well this can be explained fairly easy. you see that buck was educated, at one time or another. he could have had his but kicked by a dominate buck,or seen/heard a human making that same sound. it could have been one of joes neighbors was calling and was seen or shot at,or even shot at and hit! that deer will never come to that same sound ,the rest of his life. he will not only remember that sound ,but where he heard it.
if he heard it and didn't see the human and was not shot at and not hit,he might stay in the area,but won't respond!

just like putting an electric fence around some horses. they only have to touch it a couple of times ,and they'll not go near it again.
same with a dog shock collar for barking ,or a perimeter wire. once they get shocked they learn .
call a yote in and let him see/smell you,or you get a shot at him. he won't come to that call again. he will be call shy for a long time maybe forever.

as i said in the beginning nothing is in concrete....joes buck might hear those bones rattling and here it's two young bucks getting it on,he;ll walk right out there.

so as of right now we're going to send Joe to the woods with a grunt call for the time being. with the instructions call very sparingly and not over twice an hour for awhile....if he does see a buck only call loud enough for him to hear you. if the buck stops don't call...if he walks on..call again.
if he doesn't respond stop calling.
because joes woods only has a limited amount of deer Joe has to be cautious,in the tools he can use.

Joe also needs to make a mock scrap and here to he needs to error on the safe side!
Joe needs a friends woods that he can find some perimeter /border scrapes. he needs a pair of rubber gloves and a clean 5 gal bucket and a set of pruners. he needs to cut some limbs ,that are chewed on and about 2-3" of the dirt from every scrape he can find.
then he can find a tree within 20 yrs or so of his buck stand. Joe can find a tree limb hanging down ,about head high and use tie straps to tie the chewed limbs to. then he needs to use his trowel to make a 3' circle and spread his dirt on top of it. before he leaves he should take a small handful of leaves and scatter on the scrap. this way he can set in the stand and see if it gets "hit"

could Joe use store bought dripper? how about the bottles of buck urine ? doe-n-heat? yes he could....but why take a chance on the fake stuff,when he can get the real stuff,we know will work.

remember not everything works all the time and in joes case we'll give him the very best chance to get the highest percentages we can.
next we'll see what joes next door hunter has done,or didn't do that might effect joes season
WEEGEE

Unread postby WEEGEE » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:56 pm

we have to look at the whole picture right now. we are trying to get Joe, to have the highest percentages, to get his buck!
many things Joe has to consider to do this job.
you see Joe just might be working with EDUCATED DEER!!!!!
this is why Joe is limited in the tools we give him. Joe will learn about his neighbors properties next.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”