Draws

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Draws

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:24 am

I was reviewing my topos today n plotting some of my buck movements over the yrs and have noticed a lot of big buck movement seems to utilize draws in the terrain. I believe the bucks r using these to stay low n hidden, sneaking through the woods by connecting these to thickets n old clear cuts. I checked on the "All time best tactical threads" n didnt see much info on draws. What do you guys think of draws for pressured buck movement?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

WEEGEE

Re: Draws

Unread postby WEEGEE » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:09 pm

here's a little tip....change position with him. think about him hunting you what terrain would you travel? would you stand in a thicket and watch for you? where would you walk to be the less seen?
we used to play hide and seek with our cars back in the 60's i soon learned i could hide right up town almost in plain sight.most every one would go to the back street alleys to hide. that buck will use those same tactics on us!
close shot artist PSE AXE-PSE DNA
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:16 pm

Great tip Weegee !! Very good way to think about things.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:27 pm

WEEGEE wrote:here's a little tip....change position with him. think about him hunting you what terrain would you travel? would you stand in a thicket and watch for you? where would you walk to be the less seen?
we used to play hide and seek with our cars back in the 60's i soon learned i could hide right up town almost in plain sight.most every one would go to the back street alleys to hide. that buck will use those same tactics on us!

Great way to put it...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:30 pm

oldrank wrote:I was reviewing my topos today n plotting some of my buck movements over the yrs and have noticed a lot of big buck movement seems to utilize draws in the terrain. I believe the bucks r using these to stay low n hidden, sneaking through the woods by connecting these to thickets n old clear cuts. I checked on the "All time best tactical threads" n didnt see much info on draws. What do you guys think of draws for pressured buck movement?

Depends on where your at... Around here I usually don't see bucks in draws... But, in parts of Illinios, Iowa, and out west, where its relatively open, and the thickest cover is in the draws, you bet thats where I found them... Like Weegee said, put yourself in his shoes, where would he hide...

I like that comment cause its found me a lot of big bucks... When you know ones living in your hunting area, and your not finding his hide out, its cause your over looking something.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:50 pm

Dan .. when a buck exits his bed from a pot hole marsh he stages in his safety zone, the red brush area..then exits into the woods. What I am seeing is its at this point he uses the draw to enter the woods. I believe I have read about them also entering fields in simular fasion. What I am thinking is it could be the next step out from hunting the bed.. a way to work from the outside in while hunting new unhunted terrain. Does that seem plausible?

Rome

Unread postby Rome » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:04 pm

Sometimes the low spot or draw into a field gets the wind sucked down into, depending on terrain, so that's why bucks will enter there, for scent reasons. Same goes for some draws...mini wind tunnels can make it a very safe place to travel. Some do not get that wind tunnel. My point, all draws are not created equal. That's just the scent piece too...the draw needs to be from a bed, into food, along doe bedding in rut, etc...I hunt a lot of draws.

Buckbuster28
Facebook: Alex Slosser

Unread postby Buckbuster28 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:19 pm

In Michigan where I live my dad is a firm believer in hunting what I guess would be more of depressions or shallow trenches then a draw but anywhere that there is a a foot or more of of elevation difference that a buck can walk in...the biggest buck he's ever seen in the woods he said walked 40 yards from where he came out of a thicket in the woods to hit a 100 yard long trench that was only 2 foot lower then the rest of the woods and prolly 4 foot wide but he said the buck went out of the way to get in that trench and followed it the whole length of the trench...he's hunted them ever since haha...and has luck doing it...

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:10 pm

Buckbuster28 wrote:In Michigan where I live my dad is a firm believer in hunting what I guess would be more of depressions or shallow trenches then a draw but anywhere that there is a a foot or more of of elevation difference that a buck can walk in...the biggest buck he's ever seen in the woods he said walked 40 yards from where he came out of a thicket in the woods to hit a 100 yard long trench that was only 2 foot lower then the rest of the woods and prolly 4 foot wide but he said the buck went out of the way to get in that trench and followed it the whole length of the trench...he's hunted them ever since haha...and has luck doing it...

I have also seen this a lot, and if you keep an eye out while scouting you will generally see rubs along these low areas. One area I hunt has traditionally had large rubs along a low area like this that runs from a dried up, overgrown beaver swamp toward a crop field that's about a quarter mile away. Nighttime movement for the most part early season, but can be good during rut when bucks are moving between cover like you say.
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:30 pm

On my property where a draw tops a ridge, is where the tracks/ trail is. Everytime. Usually these draws are coming from a point. I think it has a lot to do with air currents.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:26 pm

oldrank wrote:Dan .. when a buck exits his bed from a pot hole marsh he stages in his safety zone, the red brush area..then exits into the woods. What I am seeing is its at this point he uses the draw to enter the woods. I believe I have read about them also entering fields in simular fasion. What I am thinking is it could be the next step out from hunting the bed.. a way to work from the outside in while hunting new unhunted terrain. Does that seem plausible?

Sounds plausable... But, if it were me, I would be trying to get on the edge of the red brush where he comes out of his safe zone. Mature bucks just don't move far in daylight most of the time and sitting back just to far the 1st sit is going to alert him that your hunting him... He is going to smell that you have been there and you no longer have the advatage of 1st strike.

Its important to be in position to kill your 1st time in. I do sit back and observe, but when I do, its from an obswervation position I don't think the buck will find, or won't associate with a threat.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:28 pm

Rome wrote:Sometimes the low spot or draw into a field gets the wind sucked down into, depending on terrain, so that's why bucks will enter there, for scent reasons. Same goes for some draws...mini wind tunnels can make it a very safe place to travel. Some do not get that wind tunnel. My point, all draws are not created equal. That's just the scent piece too...the draw needs to be from a bed, into food, along doe bedding in rut, etc...I hunt a lot of draws.

Very true... Evening thermals often suck down these draws, but the layout will depend greatly on how much its used.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:06 pm

Watched 2 of the biggest bucks in an area (that I have seen) use draws to get from one woods to another.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:33 pm

WEEGEE wrote:here's a little tip....change position with him. think about him hunting you what terrain would you travel? would you stand in a thicket and watch for you? where would you walk to be the less seen?

8-) Awesome post! Great info guys!
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:09 am

thanks for the replys.. some great points to think about.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”