Licking branch scent (mock scrape)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Licking branch scent (mock scrape)

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:32 am

Just wondering if you guys put anything for scent on a licking branch when making a new mock scrape, or do you just let the deer take care of putting the scent on after they check it out?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

phade
500 Club

Re: Licking branch scent (mock scrape)

Unread postby phade » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:22 am

I use the real thing. Find a scrape from outside the area where you can snip the licking branch off and then zip tie it to the branch over the mock you make. Also do the same with the dirt from the scrape.

Its probably a small violation in some parks or states, but parks often have plenty of scrapes to choose from. Or if you have multiple licking branches on one scrape at one property, snip one. That's all it really takes.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
south

Unread postby south » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:29 am

http://smokeysdeerlure.com/product/pre- ... land-lure/

I have used this with decent success.

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:30 am

phade wrote:I use the real thing. Find a scrape from outside the area where you can snip the licking branch off and then zip tie it to the branch over the mock you make. Also do the same with the dirt from the scrape.

Its probably a small violation in some parks or states, but parks often have plenty of scrapes to choose from. Or if you have multiple licking branches on one scrape at one property, snip one. That's all it really takes.

well, I was hoping to get this going before they actually start making their own.
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:51 am

i've used paul pollicks preorbital gland lure on licking branches with excellent results. every deer that passes by within sniffin distance will come check it out. and they return too. eventually they take it over for themselves.

http://deerlures.com/listing-buck-preorbital-10.html
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:26 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
phade wrote:I use the real thing. Find a scrape from outside the area where you can snip the licking branch off and then zip tie it to the branch over the mock you make. Also do the same with the dirt from the scrape.

well, I was hoping to get this going before they actually start making their own.

Licking branches are used year-round....
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:29 am

I think that using a good pre-orbital gland lure on the licking branch may work the best. But I used to just use the same lure as I used in the scrape also. I never used a straight urine but a good gland lure. Most also had some urine and other ingredients in it. Make sure to use a clean pair of pliers to smash up the end of the licking branch. This creates a paintbrush effect. Which helps hold the lure longer.

Somebody posted Gene Wensels newer method of making mock licking branches a couple months ago. I'll try to find it.

There is an article in the July 2013 BOWHUNTER MGAZINE.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:33 am

phade wrote:
dreaming bucks wrote:

Licking branches are used year-round....

Well, that may be, but without a scrape on the ground, I have a hard time finding them, and I don't see scrapes on my land, until 2nd to 3rd week of October.

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:36 am

stash59 wrote:I think that using a good pre-orbital gland lure on the licking branch may work the best. But I used to just use the same lure as I used in the scrape also. I never used a straight urine but a good gland lure. Most also had some urine and other ingredients in it. Make sure to use a clean pair of pliers to smash up the end of the licking branch. This creates a paintbrush effect. Which helps hold the lure longer.

Somebody posted Gene Wensels newer method of making mock licking branches a couple months ago. I'll try to find it.

There is an article in the July 2013 BOWHUNTER MGAZINE.

I actually use 3/4" Manila rope for my licking branches, just looking to put something on them to get them started.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:12 am

I finally found the other thread and you posted it. Deer and Deer Hunting has really been pushing the Smokey's brand.

All I know from what I read of Gene Wensel's stuff in the past. He's not gong to use or push something if he doesn't feel it works. He's using Smokey's.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:27 am

stash59 wrote:I finally found the other thread and you posted it. Deer and Deer Hunting has really been pushing the Smokey's brand.

All I know from what I read of Gene Wensel's stuff in the past. He's not gong to use or push something if he doesn't feel it works. He's using Smokey's.

Thanks, I just might try it out... if it don't work, no biggy.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:32 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
stash59 wrote:I finally found the other thread and you posted it. Deer and Deer Hunting has really been pushing the Smokey's brand.

Thanks, I just might try it out... if it don't work, no biggy.

I actually read about 4 other articles on guys using it with good success.
Bowhunter74201

Unread postby Bowhunter74201 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:40 am

i've used both smokeys and pollicks. i like pollicks better because it comes in a spray bottle for easier application, and it's much cheaper. i got equal results from both brands.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:31 am

Bowhunter74201 wrote:i've used both smokeys and pollicks. i like pollicks better because it comes in a spray bottle for easier application, and it's much cheaper. i got equal results from both brands.

Good to know!! Thanx!!
feutza
500 Club

Unread postby feutza » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:35 am

I use smokeys and have decent success

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”