What makes you able to compete with the pros?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: What makes you able to compete with the pros?

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:47 am

Well said Adrenaline. I think attention to detail is key, along with thinking how deer use the land, to get their primary desire/need, be it food, water, shelter/cover or urge to breed etc. at the time you are hunting. My problem is I am not a detail oriented person, and I have to force myself to slow down and take it all in, then when I do I overanalyze it to death, and talk myself in cicles. :evil:

Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:47 pm

Many have made all the correct responses to your question. And this is what really irritates me with the deer hunting programs on TV. The networks demand high quality footage. I have watched some of the no name southern shows with bad footage, unpolished camera presence and they are not on for long. To get what the big networks want you must have the means to supply it. Multiple farms, food, big deer and the time to do it. Not to name drop, but the guy from WI who was on Dream Season, the farmer. He was a no name with all the above but never on TV. His footage was just as good, if not better than the Druy's stuff. The downfall of most of these shows is the unrealastic outcomes. I have a hit list, but its two deer, and both are probably on most of my neighbors trailcams also. I can not modify, and somewhat control the behavior of the deer movement on 100acres. Compared to the "Pros" with 24 farms and 4,000 acres. Non the less, I think most if not all the Beasts on this site could whack a good one on any of their farms within days.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:16 am

Last year I had permission to hunt 80 acres of central WI land that was pretty good. Most, not all, but most practiced some sort of big buck management.

What an eye opener good land can do for the average hunter.

Just applying the knowledge I had from hunting poor to average public spots allowed me to milk this little 80 all it was worth. Some neighbors hadn't shot a buck in (2) years, bow or gun. I could have shot (8) 120" or better bucks that year, most were right at that 120" mark but a few were in the low 130's. Real monsters, 150" plus were/are hard to come buy but were there, just didn't frequent the 80 I had very often.

Long story short, some of the TV pros have paid their dues hunting public and or average private land with success. Now on TV most now run from one outfitter to another, shooting multiple bucks a year.

Don't know if I could even do that....the added stress of taking a buck on film or the "show"/business won't make it would take the fun out for me. Hunting all fall from one outfitter to the next not even thinking about what tree to hunt next, or what way to access this swamp would drive me nuts.

I just can't see that being fun, showing up in camo and bow in hand asking where do you want me to hunt? Now doing the same thing next week at a different outfitter, then the next week and so on. Once a year or everyother year would be ok, but every week of the season? I really don't envy the "pros".
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:02 am

magicman54494 wrote:I have pixie dust! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I have hunted many years and never quit trying to learn one more little tidbit that will up my % by even a part of a %. I would say that attention to detail is one key. I'm not afraid to try new tactics. I learned a long time ago that deer don't do what their "supposed" to do.
I just started tracking deer 3 years ago. I can not stress enough the value of following mature tracks. I learned more about mature bucks in a few seasons then the rest combined! Following tracks gets you thinking like a mature buck. Believe me, they will do stuff that you wouldn't believe unless you saw it with your own eyes.
I never give up. My motto is "you only have to win once". When the season isn't going good I remind myself of this.

Thats a very good motto in deer hunting! I like that. I grew up hunting the hard hunted PA deer, where have you have to out-smart other hunters first. Started holding out for older bucks around 97 and had so many close calls, near misses and more screw ups than i care to admit. I think I take a lot of those experiences and a never give up attitude with me in the woods. One of my mottos is "trust your instincts". :)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”