Bucks bedding in Lee side pines?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Bucks bedding in Lee side pines?

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:35 pm

Hey guys sorry to create 2 topics in a day. After about 57 hours scouting this week . I noticed none of the buck beds I have found have been in Lee side pine points or ridges but I have walked at least 30 Lee side pine points and ridges this week. Do bucks bed in pines? Is the beds just harder to see because of how soft they are ? Does the pine smell or lack of noise make it harder for them to detect predators so they avoid bedding their?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
PK_
500 Club

Re: Bucks bedding in Lee side pines?

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:57 am

Are the bottoms/valleys thicker than the hillsides?

They definitely love bedding in pines down here in flat country. But when I hunt northern FL with some topography they seem to stay off the hillsides(pines) and bed in the thicker bottoms(usually swampy). All the hunter access is from above so I think this has something to do with it.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:10 am

yes they do I see it all the time in western Wisconsin.....most of the valleys around me are covered with tall pine and oak
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:29 am

What kind of pines are you talking about - size? I see bucks bedding on the leeward side of cedar thickets quite often around here if they have good visibility that direction.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:30 am

Fully grown mature pine trees. 50 foot or so is common here. Yes the valleys are very thick creeks brush thickets lots of blowdowns . I walked one area for several miles oddly the thermal tunnel was in the bottom near the creeks. My other areas I hunt the thermal tunnel is midpoint on the hill . Most of my buck beds have been in very thick points with some downed trees some in open woods. Most are bigger around then ones in photo. Photo is just only pines I have a stand spot in this year.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:35 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Fully grown mature pine trees. 50 foot or so is common here. Yes the valleys are very thick creeks brush thickets lots of blowdowns . I walked one area for several miles oddly the thermal tunnel was in the bottom near the creeks. My other areas I hunt the thermal tunnel is midpoint on the hill . Most of my buck beds have been in very thick points with some downed trees some in open woods. Most are bigger around then ones in photo. Photo is just only pines I have a stand spot in this year.

looks pretty much like my land
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”