Buck direction after getting up afternoon.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Buck direction after getting up afternoon.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:40 pm

I have found several beds on Lee side points . In the am when the buck j curves into his bed. When he gets up in the afternoon will he go into the wind or go back down his j curve on the point. When he gets up the thermal should be blowing down the hill along with the wind making a easier kill if he heads east in the afternoon. It would make sense to me he would walk west into the wind . I have never hunted afternoon buck bedding so I'm curious what you experts have encountered in the field. My thinking of stands in black his trail red bed blue depending which way he goes. His bed is half way up the point about. 30 yards from the end of the point. The hillsides are very steep on sides of his bed.Image
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
WEEGEE

Re: Buck direction after getting up afternoon.

Unread postby WEEGEE » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:24 pm

sorry i can't make heads or tails out of your map ,but i do know mountain buck movements.
you must pay attention to the air temps for changing thermals. as to which way they will go when he gets up the answer will not be found in one answer...why? too many things could have occurred during his bedding ,such as pressure from?????,is he curious about something?is he hungry? is he going to check/make scrapes? did he see/hear some danger on the far side today?
you see there's just too many things that might or might not of happened during that day.

your odds are going to be better to pick out a place he "might" go as to where he might not!
scrape line/buck trail/oak trees/field/crop edges. now your only advantage is knowing those spots along with prevailing winds and prevailing bedding zones. mountain bucks are a whole lot harder to kill,than flat land farm bucks,because they can use the terrain and wind/thermals,better, to their advantages and not yours!
most deer ,in general are creatures of habit and the sense of survival is on the top of that list. but a mature buck is that too,but in a whole new creature. him and old does are very "smart". it takes years to sorta figure them out. then when you think you got it figured out.....they show you,you don't!
close shot artist PSE AXE-PSE DNA
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:17 pm

in the morning they most often approach from down wind... But in the evening they go off in the direction of food, water, or does, and do not use the wind much. I have seen and killed them leaving on a cross wind, wind to face, and wind to tail. It really don't seem to matter. I would say they tend to get a little farther from the bed in daylight when the wind is in there favor though...

In the evening look to sit the most active well used trail leaving the bed. Thats where the odds are.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:52 pm

So what if the bed is in heavy cover closer to the middle of that cover it's say 1 ac in size. Would they still tail wind or head into the wind? I'm talking crp or 3 yr old logging thick.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:03 am

TNstalker wrote:So what if the bed is in heavy cover closer to the middle of that cover it's say 1 ac in size. Would they still tail wind or head into the wind? I'm talking crp or 3 yr old logging thick.

Again, regardless of wind in the evening he is going to walk out on the staging trail in the evening. Sometimes there are more than one way they stage out, sometimes only one, but they go in with wind to face in the AM.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:51 am

I have a hillside bed that has two trails or more exact two general directions that a buck might take. The obvious bed to food route leads down the Vally the buck has been observing all day. Option two is following the finger Ridge he is bedding on up to the north south main Ridge.
My plan so far is to hunt the Ridgetop trail first. It hopefully will up the odds of the food trail being used. I think the food trail is the early season high percentage but once prerut starts it won't be as preferred.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
whitetailassasin

Unread postby whitetailassasin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:17 am

justdirtyfun wrote:I have a hillside bed that has two trails or more exact two general directions that a buck might take. The obvious bed to food route leads down the Vally the buck has been observing all day. Option two is following the finger Ridge he is bedding on up to the north south main Ridge.
My plan so far is to hunt the Ridgetop trail first. It hopefully will up the odds of the food trail being used. I think the food trail is the early season high percentage but once prerut starts it won't be as preferred.

I would agree with that assessment. Early season his focus is on food. Pre rut rut wI'll be on receptive does. Post rut will be back on food again.

WEEGEE

Unread postby WEEGEE » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:24 am

justdirtyfun wrote:I have a hillside bed that has two trails or more exact two general directions that a buck might take. The obvious bed to food route leads down the Vally the buck has been observing all day. Option two is following the finger Ridge he is bedding on up to the north south main Ridge.

your assessment is well founded....oak trees on that ridge would be the early ticket too.
close shot artist PSE AXE-PSE DNA

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”