A pocket full of tags? Or...???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Slumpy

Re: A pocket full of tags? Or...???

Unread postby Slumpy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:46 am

You have me deepest sympathies. As a nurse I can tell you that your hunting will be postponed until she is done with school. Please accept my condolences.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bayshorebuck8
500 Club

Unread postby Bayshorebuck8 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:09 am

I will have my combo buck and doe tag and then ill have about 4 crop damage antlerless tags for freezer meat i fill them every year, theres way to many doe

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:39 am

Sounds like a bunch of us are in the same boat. I will have a 2 1/2 year old and a 1 year old come season. They are a handful :lol:

I will have plenty tags - at least three either sex tags in Iowa including my landowner tag I can use on my couple small parcels - but I would be surprised if I go on more than a dozen hunts start to finish. I am hoping to go back up to northern WI for a gun hunt, I didn't last year because my daughter was born, but doubt I will get any scouting trips up there beforehand. Just going to enjoy the few times I do get out all the more.

I need to get two deer for the freezer one way or the other.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:00 am

Lockdown wrote:I live in West Central MN, and I am afforded [glow=red]ONE[/glow] deer tag. I can hunt all seasons and am handed an over the counter buck tag with any weapon (archery is good for buck or doe... gun tags require a drawing for a doe). Long story short I can shoot ONE deer. I'm a 99% bowunter, 1% gun hunter.

As far as tags go... what will YOU have in your back pocket this fall?

One is a good number if it is the [glow=red]RIGHT[/glow] one!
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:14 am

3 tags. 1 buck 2 doe. Any weapon 10/1 thru first Sunday in January. Perfect. You may wind up with more time than you think. Put in for that doe!

Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:55 pm

burkhart wrote:I don't think you have a misfortune. Things are going to happen with ur daughter and memories made a deer can't replace. Yes deer are fun to hunt and cool to look at but nothing compared to babies.

And to be fair the whitetail won't be picking your retirement home for you :)

Enjoy every moment they only happen once! Congrats!

x2 that, my little guy is about to turn one, i take him in the woods scouting with me, may not get to cover every square inch but its way more fun getting to spend time with him, my wife is a nurse to, HANG IN THERE!! once she graduates she can work night shift..mine works nights 3 nights a week which means unlimited hunting... :dance: she does get onto me about my son being to young to take into the woods right now lol
SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:40 pm

burkhart wrote:I don't think you have a misfortune. Things are going to happen with ur daughter and memories made a deer can't replace. Yes deer are fun to hunt and cool to look at but nothing compared to babies.

And to be fair the whitetail won't be picking your retirement home for you :)

Enjoy every moment they only happen once! Congrats!

Totally agree. Just as with hunting mature whitetails, you have to have the long game in mind. In the long scheme of things you're not missing out on nearly as much as you're gaining. It might feel like forever- but it's just a season so enjoy it for what it is- investment in the long term scheme of life.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
[glow=green]1 Chronicles 8:40, "The sons of Ulam were brave warriors who could handle the bow..."[/glow]
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:25 am

Sounds like a tag issue and a time issue. With tags--I get up to 3 tags on public, plus more if military/wildlife refuge/state park reduction hunts. Indiana.

I've been there with the time issue. My kids are 7,6, and 4. Things have eased a little by now with the time crunch. And your creativity will help you. Find ways to include them, as long as it is safe and fun for them. We are all going to the gun range today. I'm packing movies, snacks and drinks for an army, and there's a fishing pond nearby. Papaw and I will take turns. I have a small goal for today, collect bullet drop data at ranges up to 200 yards. If I have limited goals and expectations, it makes it easier to include the kiddos and enjoy our time.

Limited tags is likely a blessing! It matches your limited time and help you focus your goals and not reach too far and neglect your family. Hunting seasons come and go. Your kids are children once only. No second chances if you miss that.

Your wife and little one will need lots of your energy and time. Especially in the next few years. Being a great husband and father is a lot harder than being a great hunter. Sorry if I'm preaching.

My hat's off to you buddy!

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Arrowbender
500 Club

Unread postby Arrowbender » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:05 am

Been there.
Done that.
Lifelong MN resident. There have been many seasons where I had one tag and two infants; toddlers; kids; teenagers.
It definetly does put pressure on the decision to pass up bucks. I spent many of my late seasons looking to put a doe in the freezer.
But as mentioned. No regrets.
Definetly helped mold the way I hunt today.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:17 am

Lockdown wrote:Due to the fact that I'm a new Dad and my wife just got accepted into RN school, its a misfortune of mine that I will be spending most of my days at home watching my daughter and doing my best to keep the house in order. I love them both to death but this is BAD NEWS for my deer hunting obsession :cry:

There will be no out of state hunts for me this year. From those of you who feel my pain, I will accept a moment of silence on my behalf :lol:

I live in West Central MN, and I am afforded ONE deer tag. I can hunt all seasons and am handed an over the counter buck tag with any weapon (archery is good for buck or doe... gun tags require a drawing for a doe). Long story short I can shoot ONE deer. I'm a 99% bowunter, 1% gun hunter.

I know it is a far cry from really hunting, and it doesn't help your tag situation, but you can take your daughter glassing during primetime. (She may nap, or bring along her favorite snack, toys, w/e) Keep notes of what you see, where, when etc.. If you do get a chance to hunt, the info may help you tremendously. It could also help you for years to come, so many times we are so busy hunting during hunting season we don't take the time to observe. Not to mention it would probably be enjoyable to get out of the house...

Just a thought.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:09 am

Lockdown wrote:Due to the fact that I'm a new Dad and my wife just got accepted into RN school, its a misfortune of mine that I will be spending most of my days at home watching my daughter and doing my best to keep the house in order. I love them both to death but this is BAD NEWS for my deer hunting obsession :cry:

There will be no out of state hunts for me this year. From those of you who feel my pain, I will accept a moment of silence on my behalf :lol:

I live in West Central MN, and I am afforded ONE deer tag. I can hunt all seasons and am handed an over the counter buck tag with any weapon (archery is good for buck or doe... gun tags require a drawing for a doe). Long story short I can shoot ONE deer. I'm a 99% bowunter, 1% gun hunter.

:lol: I have 3 kids and haven't been on an out of state hunting trip in years, this is how I go about every season.
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:28 am

PK_ wrote:2 per day, any sex with bow. 2 per day buck only gun and muzzle… So basically 2 per day August-February… (Not sure if I will make it out in Aug)

3 total out of state this year.

Sorry.

Me too. I've killed one basket 6 in Florida the last 8 years. Tags aren't my issue. Young kids, however, have between a mainstay. They will be 2, 4, 6, & 8 this season. Obviously I live having kids more than hunting. :lol:

I am doing an in state sambar deer hunt again this year, so if I get one of those, the freezer will be full at 300-500 lbs dressed.

http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:37 pm

To all of you who get tags in multiples, just be thankful for that! We haven't been able to get extra doe tags here for quite a while. I can live with one buck tag, but having to watch does pass by really stinks when you could use the meat!

I'll definitely enjoy the time with my daughter. She is 4.5 months and growing like a weed. I'm trying to enjoy all the little things as much as I can.

I'm really going to have to make each hunt count. With low populations I normally need to spend a lot of time in the woods to get what I'm after. I think I have extra nervousness due to the fact that I didn't tag one last year (first time in 20 years that I didn't kill a deer) and also due to the fact that I have some awesome bedding located and want to kill one coming off a bed in the worst way. It will be my 2nd season bed hunting.
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:24 am

Like somebody already posted..its not all that bad if your strictly a big buck hunter. It takes the pressure off of filling tags and gives you more time to be patient and arrow the big boy.
Also there's plenty of more years to go out deer hunting. Kids grow up FAST and you never get that time back. Enjoy it

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:01 am

Don't forget, once the kids are old enough you are looking at 12+ years of "young hunter training". Before long your ambitions are less about you and more about having fun with them, big bucks are just a bonus.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”