Big Wind Coming

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GBTG

Big Wind Coming

Unread postby GBTG » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:46 am

I like to use those big windy days to slip around and check for sign in staging areas , cut lanes , clear paths to my stands and other obtrusive things I need to get done before next week. During the rut I sit my stands that are in the tunnel. How about you?

Dabowhunter

Re: Big Wind Coming

Unread postby Dabowhunter » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:45 am

I remember hunting in 50 mph winds several years ago. Got down in a low lying area where I was somewhat protected. Was crazy watching tree top snaping off on the ridges around me. Sat all day and only saw one wary little buck who was quite nervous navigating with all the wind.
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:29 am

Hoping to get out scouting the next few days. Looks like we might see some rain tomorrow so it'll be a free scout with the rain washing away my scent so I want to go in and spot check a bunch of different areas, so where I know where to be set up for thursday morning when everything dies down. Hopefully they'll be good action that first day after the next 2 days of high winds.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:05 am

Sounds like the winds will die down exactly when my vacation starts on Thursday. Along with the cold air coming this should really get the bucks moving! :D :D
martin peters

Unread postby martin peters » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:33 am

I have seen good movement on windy days, maybe not 50 mph days but limbs and old growth trees coming down on occasion. Really depends on what phase of the rut if I'll hunt this kind of weather. One buck I remember was a halloween 3.5 y/o kill where the rain was coming down on a 45 degree angle when he walked by. Another time, in a true blizzard, the kind you have to pull your head down in your coat to read the compass, there was a brief lull in the wind and snow and I spotted a shooter buck following close to a doe up on a ridge above me. Then the snow closed in and I never saw him again. Both bucks on public land, the 3.5 y/o was in a heavy pressure area, The snow buck was a low pressure area. If its between Oct.20th and Nov.30th I'll be out there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”