Cellular cams and buck beds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Arkansan1

Cellular cams and buck beds

Unread postby Arkansan1 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:35 am

Been thinking lately and was wondering if anyone has ever tried putting a cell cam near a bed and waiting for it to get hot. I feel this would be a great way to get on a buck on the first sit.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Darin
500 Club

Re: Cellular cams and buck beds

Unread postby Darin » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:28 am

Yes it would work. A cam with no flash or noise. I think you would have to locate the beds end of winter and move back in in early early summer and set them. And do NOT go back in till after a successful hunt or after the season.

The only worry I would have would be battery failure and having to go in before or during season to swap batteries...
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:08 am

It has been done. There are some long threads buried in the forum if you do a search. While widely discussed, I've yet to hear of anyone of killing a good using this approach.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:51 pm

The concept seems perfect but i think there are many variables that can reduce the effectiveness. (buck spotting camera, battery issues, scent issues, noise,
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:34 pm

I have 2 new covert cellulars that I'm trying to decide where to place. Not sure if better in a known MONSTER bed, or on a rut cruising trail in a sanctuary...

johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:36 pm

It would make for a cool story, I may try it this year although I think I can kill him based on what I've learned about him and this bed. Not sure.

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:37 pm

I tried it last year and it ran the buck off. Was about 75 yds away

Make It Happen
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:38 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19079&p=235955

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:56 pm

I might be the black sheep on the subject, but I have thought about doing this and it almost seems like a bit too much technology for me. A regular trail camera on a bed is one thing. Where do we draw the line and what is next? A live feed?

Don't get me wrong... if I had a cellular camera I would be tempted to do the same thing.

For me, even though its perfectly legal, it almost crosses the line of ethics. Kind of like building a 10' high fence on private land that is 600 yards long, then leaving a 10 foot gap in the middle right where you want it. Surely it would tip the odds in your favor, but does that make it right?

I would definitely be interested in peoples' findings, but I don't think a cellular cam on a bed is for me.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:15 pm

Lockdown wrote:I might be the black sheep on the subject, but I have thought about doing this and it almost seems like a bit too much technology for me. A regular trail camera on a bed is one thing. Where do we draw the line and what is next? A live feed?

Don't get me wrong... if I had a cellular camera I would be tempted to do the same thing.

For me, even though its perfectly legal, it almost crosses the line of ethics. Kind of like building a 10' high fence on private land that is 600 yards long, then leaving a 10 foot gap in the middle right where you want it. Surely it would tip the odds in your favor, but does that make it right?

I would definitely be interested in peoples' findings, but I don't think a cellular cam on a bed is for me.

This point is exactly why the above posted thread is locked. Valid point.

johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:47 pm

Yeah I don't know where it falls either. That's one reason I'm not sure I want to do it. I don't know if I would have the same satisfaction if successful. But, maybe having a cell cam in ANY location is a gray area. I have it in the staging area now, next to a thick wood pile bedding, for a mature grounghog. Even with this can, I still can't kill that SOB. So it doesn't just hand you kills.

johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:56 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19079&p=235955

[ Post made via Android ]

I forgot about that thread. In the end to some its just a toy, and its fun to play with. That's why I got it and its def been fun so far. It even filmed the fox carrying the wife's chickens away lol. Had to call her from work. I don't think I could sleep at night leaving this thing on public land though...

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:07 am

Lockdown wrote:I might be the black sheep on the subject, but I have thought about doing this and it almost seems like a bit too much technology for me. A regular trail camera on a bed is one thing. Where do we draw the line and what is next? A live feed?

I'm with you 100%. Putting cellular camera in bed and using as a hunting tool to determine when the bed is being used would take away from the hunt for me.

Montanna prohibits the use of game cameras during the season as it gives an unfair advantage to the hunter.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:03 am

Me too, I would not feel right about shooting a deer that my smartphone told me was there at that moment in time. I am not knocking anyone who is going to do it, but for me personally, It wouldn't feel right.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:20 am

I personally think that it would be very cool to collect data on deer and how they bed by doing this if the camera doesn't spook them out of their bedding area, as far as hunting goes I stay away from trail camera's because i like to be surprised when I see a deer, especially one that i didn't know was in the area, I feel like technology can hinder your performance as a hunter when you tend to rely on it to much, but hey if its legal and you can live stream a bucks bed to your iphone i have no problem with it in essence your hunting smarter not harder

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”