Farmland islands

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Farmland islands

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:08 am

Thinking about wooded islands or strips of woods (with creek maybe) dividing ag plots, does anyone see these areas getting a lot of use by mature bucks? The ones I know of are 1 to 3 acres or less in size. Looking to hear any experience on this, strategy for hunting, etc.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
hunter10
500 Club

Re: Farmland islands

Unread postby hunter10 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:15 am

Any of these islands ive seen in my hunting grounds usually hold a good buck at some point or if they are not pressured ive heard of bucks dogging a doe into these small parts to have her all to himself but still have the cover, food and water needed
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:40 am

Bucks love bedding on the down wind edge of farm islands watching the field while smelling the woods. They pick the ones with a combo of good cover and no human scent... As soon as someone hunts, scouts, or walks the wood lot they move to another. Its a great way for bucks to survive.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:11 am

Dan,

Have you ever noticed with these small areas or small woodlots in general to have deer not always bed on the downwind side looking over the field and smelling behind? would options such as 1. thicker bedding in the bush be more attractive or 2. would a buck setup on downwind side of the bush to watch a standing corn field?? the 2nd option seems somewhat pointless because of limited distance to view
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:21 am

hunter10 wrote:Dan,

Have you ever noticed with these small areas or small woodlots in general to have deer not always bed on the downwind side looking over the field and smelling behind? would options such as 1. thicker bedding in the bush be more attractive or 2. would a buck setup on downwind side of the bush to watch a standing corn field?? the 2nd option seems somewhat pointless because of limited distance to view

Good question... As humans we think of everything in the form of vision. Deer survive based on scent, we are vision oriented, they are scent oriented. Because of this, they will bed up against a cornfield with a wind coming from the direction of the wood lot, so they can smell the woods where danger is likely to come from and see the edge of the corn whick creates a natural trail for predators to follow, but also a good escape wrought.

Do I see them bed elsewhere? Of coarse. They will bed on interior transitions, they will bed based on thermals and air currents using elevations of wind funnels, etc... Basically they are going to be in a great and safe spot to detect danger from all directions, with an escape wrought. It just so happens, that one of the very best spots for this is often the down wind side of woodlots that don't see much pressure.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:53 am

Those super small wood lots are very hard to hunt. The best chance is early season when they are not bothered by humans. Most of those dry up as the season goes on. A 1 acre parcel is only about 70 yards X 70 yards. :think: It takes a good windy day and some stealth to hunt something that small. I have hunted a couple that were 2 acres and 3 acres. I could hunt these each one a year. You could tell the deer knew you were there. I personally like bigger parcels.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:14 pm

Do you think the farmer cutting grass around the edge (some do) or working his crops would pressure them out or would they recognize this for what is, move and come back?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:20 pm

dan wrote:Bucks love bedding on the down wind edge of farm islands watching the field while smelling the woods. They pick the ones with a combo of good cover and no human scent... As soon as someone hunts, scouts, or walks the wood lot they move to another. Its a great way for bucks to survive.

And how would you try to set up on a buck doing this? Set up on the same edge out of sight and sound in the direction that is traveling after he gets up if that is what he is doing? It's hard to see any alternative.

Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:08 pm

mheichelbech wrote:Do you think the farmer cutting grass around the edge (some do) or working his crops would pressure them out or would they recognize this for what is, move and come back?

In my observations they look at it as normal daily activity. I have seen bucks walk out of the woods into standing corn, towards the combine, as the farmer was shelling corn. And not be phased by the farmer spreading manure, either.

Early season is the time to hunt islands IMO. I missed a good buck that walked out of a small island 60 yards to the field edge, I was in. It was last light, he smelt my scent trail under my tree. He jumped back 15 yards, and I let the arrow fly over his back....
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:08 pm

mheichelbech wrote:Do you think the farmer cutting grass around the edge (some do) or working his crops would pressure them out or would they recognize this for what is, move and come back?

Regular farming practice will not bother them as long as they aren't disturbed repetitively. I've talked to farmers about this, and it seems the bigger the equipment, the less they are concerned.
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:28 pm

I hunt a 25 acre woodlot in the middle of ag. There are two fence rows running from it. Early season is indeed the best action and as the crops come out it tends to dry up and then get better post rut. But I've noticed the thicker fence row running to the south gets deer traffic when the lot dries up.
As to the question of machinery, I watched two nice three year olds follow a grain cart down a county road in daylight once. Crazy. Not the norm. But that experience and stuff I've read on this sight led me to use a combine as cover last year to get in this woodlot and I ended up having one of the best hunts I've ever had there. That evenin the deer walked into the field while it was still being combined.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:17 pm

If its done on a regular basis it would certainly hamper to some degree...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:28 pm

mheichelbech wrote:
dan wrote:Bucks love bedding on the down wind edge of farm islands watching the field while smelling the woods. They pick the ones with a combo of good cover and no human scent... As soon as someone hunts, scouts, or walks the wood lot they move to another. Its a great way for bucks to survive.

And how would you try to set up on a buck doing this? Set up on the same edge out of sight and sound in the direction that is traveling after he gets up if that is what he is doing? It's hard to see any alternative.

There have been some recent posts on this subject, and I know I have posted example maps recently... But to some it up, most hunters screw it up by scouting the woods just before hunting, or they walk within site or smell of the bedded buck falling into his set up of why he beds like that in the 1st place.
If you do any deer drives you have probably noticed the bucks that bed like this exit there beds running when you step out of your trucks before you even get set up?

The main key is to know they like to bed like this and think about it in your access plan. It does not hurt to find these beds in spring if they are still visible, or to remember where you have seen bucks bed like this in the past.
There are a couple ways to go about killing them. You can set up on the same treelin e they are bedding on, using it for cover as you slip down and set up...
You can use an observation stand or position to watch bucks exit there bed and determine the vulnerable position.
You can send someone in up wind of him and sit on his escape wrought..
You can hunt across the field where he enters the 1st area thick enough or hidden enough for you to get an ambush.
mheichelbech
500 Club

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:03 am

I didn't like looking At that these threads as it shows how bad my memory is!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”