Anybody use a Cellular trail cam that uses Verizon?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Anybody use a Cellular trail cam that uses Verizon?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:58 am

I can't use one with ATT or t-mobile in my area, I think Verizon ones would work for reception in my area..... I see spypoints have a Verizon model, but it didn't get very good reviews... anybody?

johndeere506
500 Club

Re: Anybody use a Cellular trail cam that uses Verizon?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:04 am

dreaming bucks wrote:I can't use one with ATT or t-mobile in my area, I think Verizon ones would work for reception in my area..... I see spypoints have a Verizon model, but it didn't get very good reviews... anybody?

Im using a covert ATT. They have a verizon version thats going to be available very soon.
Model year 15 cameras I mean. Turns out ATT works here, so thats what I went with. Call them and ask about when it will be sold. Im happy so far with my code black.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:15 am

Great question. I have been wondering the same thing.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:15 am

johndeere506 wrote:
dreaming bucks wrote:I can't use one with ATT or t-mobile in my area, I think Verizon ones would work for reception in my area..... I see spypoints have a Verizon model, but it didn't get very good reviews... anybody?

Im using a covert ATT. They have a verizon version thats going to be available very soon.
Model year 15 cameras I mean. Turns out ATT works here, so thats what I went with. Call them and ask about when it will be sold. Im happy so far with my code black.

So, do you have yours out already, have you received pics already? Just wondering about picture quality or battery life? How long have you had it out already if so?
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:23 am

Last time I checked Verizon plan was about twice as high as ATT. I don't know why we cannot just add another device to our current cell phone plans as I have unlimited texts? A little ridiculous if you ask me.
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:56 am

I really want one, but dunno if I have good enough service..

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:57 am

so, i just got done chatting with Covert, and they say that they will indeed have a camera out in September for Verizon, for a small nominal fee of $419.. ;)
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:13 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
johndeere506 wrote:

So, do you have yours out already, have you received pics already? Just wondering about picture quality or battery life? How long have you had it out already if so?

Its been out for about a week. I have it close by getting a target groundhog pics and a chciken killing predator so far. Seems to work well, but I only chose to send pics to my phone for now. Quality is plenty good enough to know what Im looking at in good detail. The card is in the cam when I pull it in. Those pics will be the 12MP pics. The detection is amazing from what Ive seen so far. It was even picking up pics of me on the tractor 50 YARDS away. My second one just showed up :)

I was thnking of waiting to check all my areas for ATT service in case I needed the Verizon. I decided I just wanted to use these to learn more about bedding and travel habits, so Im not too worried if they dont have service in my other hunting spots.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:51 am

Here is the description of the new covert blackhawk coming out in Sept, that uses Verizon! I might have to break the bank and try one ($419)... I have one hunting spot that I think a cell cam, would be priceless!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
trapper57
500 Club

Unread postby trapper57 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:24 am

Reconyx came out with a Verizon cellular cam this year.
Big money though, over a $1000.

moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:35 am

I may be demonstrating my ignorance here, but why is that phones are not service specific but cams are?
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:43 am

moog5050 wrote:I may be demonstrating my ignorance here, but why is that phones are not service specific but cams are?

That's a good question, maybe someday it won't matter like the phones.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:08 am

The covert sounds interesting.... Are they still going to make you sign up with their plan or can we use the Verizon plan we already have with our cell phones

justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:22 am

moog5050 wrote:I may be demonstrating my ignorance here, but why is that phones are not service specific but cams are?

They actually are specific. The ATT network is a GSM network and the Verizon network is CDMA. The iPhone actually has two models one that works on a GSM and CDMA network. Same reason why back in the day iPhone wasn't available with Verizon or US Cellular; they were GSM only at first.

My hunch is these are configured the same.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”