what was the hardest deer or deers you ever had too kill

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraphunter

what was the hardest deer or deers you ever had too kill

Unread postby backstraphunter » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:00 am

i dont mean the hunting of the deer but sheer will too live and or get away you ever went through to get get your tag on it. i have had a few hard too kill deer the one that sticks in my mind was a few years ago hunting in ohio during black power it was right down to the last 10 to 15 min of light left and big 7 point steped out into the food plot i cracked him with my 50 cal at 80 yards or so my son and i both sat togther that night he killed his buck a day or 2 earler and he still had a doe tag he could fill so anyway the buck hit the ground we basked in the GOT HIM . started packing things up to head over to check him out just walked around frount of bline UP POPS HIS RACK and off he goes on frount legs for the hells canyon he came out of man a deer can move only on frount lets let me tell you that i grab my sons 45 cal and we both take off at a full run 50 yrd sprint i get up too him he spins around and takes a leep at me at the same time im leveling off to shoot gun goes off i for and some reason end up flat on my back my son jumps on top of the buck with a chock hold on this neck i scrambled too my feet to help mike onlt thing i can think of is knifeing the deer what is what i did my son laughs about it today he calls it a jail yard shanking. after getting the hide off i did hit him with the 45 cal and spined him good with the first shot from the 50 cal ohio kinda sucks with there hunting laws you only can hunt with one gun here in mi i would have had my 45 cal black power ruger with me. same during gun i have shot 2 deer to date with my side arm to dispatch them during gun season in michigan another tme we were fillng doe tags in the corn country in michigan i had about 6 or seven does come by in a group with a real nice huge lead doe leading the group i droped her in her tracks the rest all took off but 1 who looked at the lead doe on the ground as if too say GET UP COMMON too late busted that one right through the shoulders this deer plowed ground for 60 to 70 yards too the barb-wire fence at woods got over the fence went another 40 or so yards till dieing i,m amazed at what deer can do.

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: what was the hardest deer or deers you ever had too kill

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:03 am

The toughest buck I knew was one my brother killed last year with his muzzleloader, story here: http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=287&t=28355 It took three pretty good shots to go down with a 300 grain soft lead hollow point muzzleloader bullet.

The toughest buck I ever shot was actually a forkhorn when I was a teenager. Shot it in the shoulder facing me with a 380 grain buffalo bullet from my muzzleloader as if memory serves me right, smashed the shoulder and broke a few ribs going back and lodged in its hindquarter. Really major damage but no internal organs hit. Basically a very bad shot. We tracked that deer 3 days and many miles, probably close to 10, around and around till we finally wore it out. We were wore out too but glad I was able to finish the job. And that was only a young buck!
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:44 am

Bunch of years ago buddy shot a doe during blackpowder and we tracked that deer up and down many steep ravines and through standing corn fields to only lose the blood. when we walked out to the road we were nearing a 1mile walk...
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:49 am

Shot a fat doe opening morning of gun season a couple years ago. Was sitting on stand when I heard shot from a distance behind me so I turn around and sure enough 2 does are running straight towards me. They j hooked around me and ran broadside in front of me at about 60 yds so I shot the first one with a 12ga slug.

She first dropped to her stomach and then got back up, jumped over a log and slowly trotted away quartering to me. She was limping bad and I could see the blood pouring out of her so I held off on another shot. She went about 50yds where she piled up, so I turned around and sat back down and continued hunting.

A half hour went by when I turned around to check on the deer and she was now sitting in a bedding position. I got out my binos and checked her out and could literally see her side was covered in blood as well as the ground around her..I couldn't pull off another shot so I once again turned around and waited her out.

After 10mins. Or so I check on her again and she's GONE! So I immediately start packing up and climb down and headed to where I last saw her. The bed looked as if someone dumped a 5gallon bucket of red paint in it. There was blood and hair on all surrounding trees and limbs and a bright red blood trail to follow from there. From the look of the blood trail and the matted down underbrush I believe she crawled from her bed 30 yds. Or so to where she finally expired.

When I found her the whole side of her was covered in frothy red blood bubbles. I dressed her and seen I nicked the heart and one of her lungs was complete butter. Yet she still survived for another hour or so and managed to get away from me. Quite surprising considering the amount of deer I've arrowed who expired a very short time afterwards and left little to no blood behind

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:15 pm

the hard part is watching all those deer walk past at close range and not dropping the hammer on them.

:D
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:04 pm

I hear about a lot of muzzleloader shot deer that don't die quick. I've had much better luck with my bow in getting a quick kill.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
backstraphunter

Unread postby backstraphunter » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:24 pm

i have killed a lot of deer dead with black power. deer just can do some amazing things at times with what ever wepon used
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:14 am

mheichelbech wrote:I hear about a lot of muzzleloader shot deer that don't die quick. I've had much better luck with my bow in getting a quick kill.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

There is some truth to that I think, a lot of guys use a muzzleloader but don't really understand their load or their gun. Then again the same could be said about some bowhunters I guess. Also muzzleloader bullets are generally slower than rifle bullets and some hunters don't take that into account shooting at moving deer, resulting in some poorer hits as well as the bullet causing less damage because its moving slower. Just what I have seen. There is just less margin for error. If you hit a deer solid through both lungs with anything its dead though.

I have shot about 20 deer with a muzzleloader with a variety of loads and just about all the ones that were good double lung hits went less than 100 yards and were dead within 20 seconds, even back when I was shooting round nose conicals.
backstraphunter

Unread postby backstraphunter » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:46 am

i have seen shotgun partion gold dubble lung shot deer go a long way 150 yrds and more a time or 2 the reason for the post was hard too kill deer not black power miss haps agin deer are amazing at what they can survive or how far they can go after being mortaly shot or even what it took to recover a deer you shot.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:36 am

my hardest deer to kill was probably my first. as in getting over the hump/getting the monkey off my back.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”