bowhunting deer in grizzly country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

john1984

bowhunting deer in grizzly country

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:50 am

Have any of you bowhunted deer in grizzly bear country? Did you ever walk in the dark to or from your stand with no sidearm? Do you avoid bowhunting by yourself in grizzly country out of fear??

[ Post made via Android ] Image

welded34
500 Club

Re: bowhunting deer in grizzly country

Unread postby welded34 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:30 pm

I have never bow hunted in grizzly country but I would be nervous if I did. I would probably hunt with someone else.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:52 pm

I am from Michigan but have family in Montana and have been out there to hunt. They live right in grizzly country n have run ins with em frequently. Although I never bow hunted out there its still a different feeling walking around.You always gotta be aware of ur surroundings. Not just grizzlys but mountain lions also. My cousin bow hunts elk and deer.. im pretty sure he carries at all times..

Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:45 pm

I would carry a sidearm if allowed during bow season, better safe than sorry
Milk Weed Seed
500 Club

Unread postby Milk Weed Seed » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:50 am

Sidearms are nice but the bear spray works good too. Kinda makes you taste better to them :lol:
[glow=red]Happiness is only a gut pile away[/glow]
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:56 am

The last time I was out there an elk hunter was killed an eatin by grizzlies.. He was gutting his elk when the sow attack him. She had 2 cubs with her. They hunted them all down while is was there n had stories daily in the paper. .

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:08 am

I lived in Montana for years. Most areas I hunted didn't really have grizzlies. So I only carried my bow.

Most bowhunters that hunted in grizzly areas just carried bear spray.

Actually it's more of a problem for gun hunters. The grizz have learned that a gunshot could mean an easy meal. (At least a gut pile). So shooting a gun in grizz country is almost like ringing a dinner bell.

Though grizzlies ,cougars and wolves need to be respected for the possibility of a dangerous conflict. These are actually few and far between. The media just likes to hype it up into a bigger problem than what it is.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:13 am

Bring a guide, girlfriend, or wife and just make sure you're faster than they are. Lol

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:26 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:Bring a guide, girlfriend, or wife and just make sure you're faster than they are. Lol

I think I'll take my wife lol

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:34 am

I haven't hunted around grizz but am planning a hunt out there one of these days. I hear hunting pressure is lower in those parts :D

I think a pistol, any pistol, is a waste of time for most people (probably anybody that doesn't have combat training) unless you just plan on shooting yourself to end your suffering. A 1000 pound griz is running 30 MPH at you, you just wet yourself, and you think you can hit it in the right spot? Take a shotgun filled with buckshot, bear spray, or nothing.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:01 am

I like the shotgun light like the one John Candy used in The Great Outdoors. :lol:
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:14 pm

I tip my hat to any guy walking into the bush with bow with grizzlies nearby. your nuts! lol
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:38 pm

JoeRE wrote:I haven't hunted around grizz but am planning a hunt out there one of these days. I hear hunting pressure is lower in those parts :D

I think a pistol, any pistol, is a waste of time for most people (probably anybody that doesn't have combat training) unless you just plan on shooting yourself to end your suffering. A 1000 pound griz is running 30 MPH at you, you just wet yourself, and you think you can hit it in the right spot? Take a shotgun filled with buckshot, bear spray, or nothing.

While I wouldn't want to be caught face to face with a Grizzly, my biggest fear in the North American woods are the Mountain Lions. In my opinion they're the most underrated predators we have. Regardless your best option is to carry a Bible, first to pray and if that doesn't work you can always use it to smack them ;)
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
GRFox
500 Club

Unread postby GRFox » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:19 pm

I rifle hunted for mulies in Shoshone National Forest in WO. Bear tracks were literally everywhere. I didn't really think twice about it, and I don't think is as big of a deal as people think it is.

Ive heard bear spray is significantly more effective than a pistol. I'm not sure I subscribe go it, but the locals in Cody WO, told me that the moose were way more dangerous than the bears

I know if I went back out there I would bring bear spray, but I still think the odds of getting attacked are slim. I am way more fearful of getting tagged by a rattlesnake in the back country than a grizzly.
olivertractor
Facebook: what's facebook

Unread postby olivertractor » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:52 pm

JoeRE wrote:I haven't hunted around grizz but am planning a hunt out there one of these days. I hear hunting pressure is lower in those parts :D

Lol, you paint a good picture

"Sad state of affairs when I'm voting for who's gonna hurt us less, than who's gonna help us more"

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”