NAW: Best Spots for Bowhunting Wisconsin’s Trophy Bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: NAW: Best Spots for Bowhunting Wisconsin’s Trophy Bucks

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Interesting. Back in the mid to late 70s I used to hunt Wisconsin. There were way more deer than Iowa had. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:10 pm

Also interesting to note that nearly half of WI top counties were under intensive herd reduction due to CWD during this period.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:54 pm

Cool article

MN Slick

Unread postby MN Slick » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:25 am

I'm surprised to see my old stomping grounds Polk County producing so many P and Y's lately. Must be a lot more guys passing young ones now days.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:41 am

Makes me grateful for living in this state. We've got it pretty good.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:49 am

Michigan may have the most bowhunters but I believe Wisconsin has more hard core bowhunters/deer hunters.

That being said alot of the counties at the top are also heavily populated. More hunters? Maybe. Probably more QDM being practiced in these areas also. This goes along with how hard core us Wisconsinites are about our deer hunting.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:21 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:Also interesting to note that nearly half of WI top counties were under intensive herd reduction due to CWD during this period.

Interesting to note that half were not .Those counties produced long before EAB or herd reduction ever took place.Give the credit to hunters passing up bucks and letting them mature.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:06 am

That can't be right, to hear most Wisconsin boys talk they have to walk uphill both ways to their stand and big bucks are as rare as hens teeth in the state :lol:

Just kidding guys......
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:16 am

JoeRE wrote:That can't be right, to hear most Wisconsin boys talk they have to walk uphill both ways to their stand and big bucks are as rare as hens teeth in the state :lol:

Just kidding guys......

If WI had the same # of hunters as Iowa the statistics would be laughable.... WI is the better deer state.

Iowa simply gets more deer to 4-8yrs of age.... but I believe times are a changing in WI. More and more people are letting young deer walk and trying to "grow" trophy class deer on their properties
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:24 am

Pretty good stats right there. I know WI has a pretty good archery population (not what MI has), so I am sure that helps the #s a bit. That being said, there is a lot of good terrain around here to grow big deer and plenty of food for the most part. It would be interesting to see what would happen to WI if it became a one buck state. Like was mentioned by someone else, a number of those counties were under pretty strict CWD rules that allowed unlimited earn a buck for a number of years. I am sure that did not help more bucks reach maturity.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:28 am

Bucky wrote:
JoeRE wrote:That can't be right, to hear most Wisconsin boys talk they have to walk uphill both ways to their stand and big bucks are as rare as hens teeth in the state :lol:

Just kidding guys......

If WI had the same # of hunters as Iowa the statistics would be laughable.... WI is the better deer state.

I absolutely agree...WI has FAR more cover and has a far bigger deer herd. The only limitation is high hunter numbers as well.

One twist is that I think the vast majority of big bucks don't get registered to any recordbook in Iowa, whereas a much larger percentage do in WI. Out of dozens of hunting acquaintances here in Iowa that have shot some really good deer I only know of a couple who ever registered a buck in Iowa to P&Y, B&C, or the State of Iowa record book. But I still know WI has far more trophy potential just by the size of the herd.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:39 am

JoeRE wrote:
Bucky wrote:

Just kidding guys......

I absolutely agree...WI has FAR more cover and has a far bigger deer herd. The only limitation is high hunter numbers as well.

One twist is that I think the vast majority of big bucks don't get registered to any recordbook in Iowa, whereas a much larger percentage do in WI. Out of dozens of hunting acquaintances here in Iowa that have shot some really good deer I only know of a couple who ever registered a buck in Iowa to P&Y, B&C, or the State of Iowa record book. But I still know WI has far more trophy potential just by the size of the herd.

I agree with you... there are a bunch of high end trophies in Iowa that never get registered... but in West WI the same is true. Last year I met a group of locals at a social gathering... the racks they brought in were unbelievable. Most just skull plates... no mounts :think: :lol:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:57 am

Bucky wrote:
I agree with you... there are a bunch of high end trophies in Iowa that never get registered... but in West WI the same is true. Last year I met a group of locals at a social gathering... the racks they brought in were unbelievable. Most just skull plates... no mounts :think: :lol:

Yep, I still maintain the real WORLD RECORD is nailed to a chicken coup somewhere in the rural midwest. Most good old boys are smart enough not to brag about a deer like that if they ever shot one.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:13 am

It would be ludicrous to say Wisconsin is not a great deer state. You have cover, great terrain, tons of public hunting and the list goes on. The only thing Iowa has over Wisconsin is more food sources, and that doesn't hold true in some areas. Iowa is one big food plot.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”