Predict Deer Movement with Mark Drury

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Predict Deer Movement with Mark Drury

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:23 am

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Re: Predict Deer Movement with Mark Drury

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:36 am

Serious analytical approach to hunting. My thinking is Mark stacks every odd possible in his favor so he can hunt farther away from bedding, but still get daytime movement.
Haus86

Unread postby Haus86 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:52 am

Great podcast! It was one of the best, in my opinion.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:03 am

Mark is a indeed a master mind as far as creating the perfect setups

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:11 am

That guy hunts some awesome property. I haven't listened to the podcast. My question is can the public land or heavy pressured private hunter relate with his techniques? If yes, then will listen. I don't watch hunting TV anymore.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:14 am

Hawthorne wrote:That guy hunts some awesome property. I haven't listened to the podcast. My question is can the public land or heavy pressured private hunter relate with his techniques? If yes, then will listen. I don't watch hunting TV anymore.

Yes. Mark Drury could hunt circles around most guys.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:18 am

Haus86 wrote:Great podcast! It was one of the best, in my opinion.

Agreed. Definitely one of his best. I like that Mark Kenyon is referencing information from other podcasts and we are getting some great analysis. The podcasts are becoming a lot more cohesive. I like em.
Last edited by BassBoysLLP on Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:19 am

Hawthorne wrote:That guy hunts some awesome property. I haven't listened to the podcast. My question is can the public land or heavy pressured private hunter relate with his techniques? If yes, then will listen. I don't watch hunting TV anymore.

No, pressured deer dont like cold weather unlike managed deer.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
WiredToHunt

Unread postby WiredToHunt » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:22 am

Glad you guys are liking this one! It's one of my favorites, and I was actually planning on posting it here, but glad you beat me to it.

I think this is one of our best too, right along with Dan's. After getting to speak in-depth with Mark and Terry for the podcast, I do think that they could apply their theories and strategies to deer outside of their properties. Of course, having great, well-managed properties helps a ton - but they of course have had to put in a ton of hard work to create those situations. That said, whether you hunt managed private ground - or high pressure public, I think we can all learn something from Mark in this one when it comes to predictive triggers for deer movement. Fascinating stuff in my opinion!

Thanks again for listening to the podcast, sharing your feedback, and spreading the word! I consider our Beast listeners as the most important of our audience, if you guys enjoy it and are learning something - I know we're on the right path. Thanks!
Mark Kenyon
Founder of WiredToHunt.com
Host of The Wired To Hunt Podcast
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:53 am

I think it is worth the listen. Those guys do know how to hunt big bucks.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:31 am

Thanx Mark great podcast.

Yes the Drury's hunt well managed low impact land. But the intensity of his research is incredible. Very scientific. Like has been debated before about Andreas' land and some of his thoughts. We're all still hunting whitetail deer. In specific mature bucks. So generally speaking alot of this should apply to where we hunt.

If anything it gives us a base tool to use to start examining how the bucks we are hunting react to all these things he's mentioned.

It all goes back to hard work. Learning as many details as possible about the deer. To many of us it will be an added fun endeavor.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:43 am

Just finished listening to the podcast. In my onion Mark is spot on about almost everything. One point I would make and holds true for almost everyone. Just because you like something doesn't mean it is the best way to do it. For instance I love hunting cloudy days. Mark states he doesn't. He is spot on from my observations deer move better on sunny days. That doesn't mean you can't kill a buck on a cloudy day. Mark shares a lot of information and most of it is good stuff. Well worth a listen.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Apex

Unread postby Apex » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:53 am

Interesting. Do ya'll think the fact Mark claims a wind flip after several consistent days of an opposite wind is due to deer scrambling to find new beds after settling into a pattern around the previous wind?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:14 am

Apex wrote:Interesting. Do ya'll think the fact Mark claims a wind flip after several consistent days of an opposite wind is due to deer scrambling to find new beds after settling into a pattern around the previous wind?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

My thoughts on this are; maybe deer in general but mature bucks no. I think deer keep a safe zone or barrier on the leeward side of deer movement. When the wind changes that means the leeward side is now the non safe zone or non barrier side. I see mature buck movement on windy days more so than non windy days. Windy days hold down general deer movement for the most part. I think an old buck knows that wind covers his movement more than him scrambling for a different bed. Just my thoughts on the subject.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:16 am

All I know is all deer, pressured or not are going to react in some way to all these outside forces that were mentioned in the show. How the deer react to these pressures where we personally hunt is still up to ourselves to figure out. Mark Drury's method of studying how they react should work anywhere. Just like Dan's methods for finding buck beds. And learning how wind and thermals move by watching milkweed thistle.

Like Dan has found out about certain moon times. It's not always as big of a difference with pressured deer but If it means a buck moves 5 minutes earlier that could be enough.

Apex you make a unique point.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”