Rattling

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BHC

Rattling

Unread postby BHC » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:52 pm

Rattling is something I've started doing more and more over the last few yrs... I have been lugging around a nice heavy set of sheds. Bit they are kind of a pain, they're bulky, and I work about them making unwanted noise. Wanted you guys opinions: real antlers, rattle bags, or these newer pack a rack things that are out..

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Rattling

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:42 pm

I can't bring myself to use anything but real antlers, I just don't trust that anything else sounds exactly the same. I also use a new set of rattling antlers (sheds) every couple years because I think really old dried out ones don't sound the same either. I don't have any proof of that its just what I am comfortable with. I sometimes cut the tips off tines to make them a little more compact.
Tapeworm

Unread postby Tapeworm » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:11 am

JoeRE wrote:I can't bring myself to use anything but real antlers, I just don't trust that anything else sounds exactly the same. I also use a new set of rattling antlers (sheds) every couple years because I think really old dried out ones don't sound the same either. I don't have any proof of that its just what I am comfortable with. I sometimes cut the tips off tines to make them a little more compact.

I've heard of guys wiping or soaking them with linseed oil. They say it keeps the antlers from drying out. Supposedly helps to maintain the natural sound.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:56 am

I use a rattle bag with wooden sticks. Used to have one with plastic sticks and it didnt sound realistic
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:58 am

Tapeworm wrote:
JoeRE wrote:I can't bring myself to use anything but real antlers, I just don't trust that anything else sounds exactly the same. I also use a new set of rattling antlers (sheds) every couple years because I think really old dried out ones don't sound the same either. I don't have any proof of that its just what I am comfortable with. I sometimes cut the tips off tines to make them a little more compact.

I've heard of guys wiping or soaking them with linseed oil. They say it keeps the antlers from drying out. Supposedly helps to maintain the natural sound.

If you keep them someplace with a little more humidity during the off season and soak them in a bucket of water just before pre-rut time they last for years. I've used fakes and had good results.

Just like people sound different because of mouth neck and nose shapes so do antlers. Antlers grown during years with good moisture are generaly denser and sound louder than those grown in dry years which aren't as dense.

The biggest thing is don't use antlers that sound "to big" for the area your hunting. If there aren't any massive 150" bucks in your area. But only thin !30" max. use the appropriate size.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:25 am

hunter10 wrote:I use a rattle bag with wooden sticks. Used to have one with plastic sticks and it didnt sound realistic

Same here. I don't rattle much on public land as it doesn't take very long before the bucks wise up. In general I hunt quiet and without the use of scents.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:42 am

I thought about making a rattle bag out of spike sheds I have found...

ERICBROOKS

Unread postby ERICBROOKS » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:05 am

Nothing sound as good as a set of sheds. But they are a pain to carry/pack.

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:30 am

Im skeptical about rattling in my area, I'm getting farther and farther away from rattling.
I've called in a buck early November by using a soft buck grunt then immediately changing to a doe bleat. Had a 2.5 yr old six point come charging.
What I do when I decide to try rattling, is I carry two same size smaller 8 point antlers both are right sides and they fit together nicely. They both had brow tines removed also. Then use a small bungee to hold them tight together. They fit in a fanny pack fine.

Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:43 am

I mainly only use real enters. I have a set of 140" that are pretty heavy but when I rattle, I want the noise.

I did pick up a set of the "Black Rack" antlers on sale to have as a back up set and honestly, they sound pretty good, surprisingly good and they fit together pretty well. If I was to recommend any set of non-natural antlers it would be these.
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:38 pm

I've had good luck with the pack racks, my buddy is more into calling than I and I saw his success and picked up the pack rack magnum. We hunt together some and we've called in at least a dozen bucks in the past few years, even the buck he shot last season. But I've yet to call a 4+ yo in, so it's used sparingly on private.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:34 pm

Was hunting with a buddy one time. Had him listen to me using real antlers, pack rack and fake antlers. He said the real ones sounded most realistic and you could tell a difference however I can see the argument that every buck sounds different. I don't rattle that much as I've never gotten a big one to come in. Don't think the numbers are there in my areas.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:56 pm

I think it's a timing thing. Gotta catch the right buck in the right frame of mind with in a couple hundred yrds. I'm yet to have one blow at me doin it. We've rattled in several on our property the last few yrs. I got the black rack as a gift. However I noticed they produce an odor when u hit them together so I never have used them.. I dunno what they are made of.. What brand pack a rack do you use?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”