Cigars/Cigarettes attract deer?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ryan
500 Club

Cigars/Cigarettes attract deer?

Unread postby Ryan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:25 pm

My grandpa's old hunting buddy always swore that if he smoked a cherry or strawberry cigar in the woods he would see more deer hunting cause they liked the smell, I told him he was crazy and i was only 12 years old lol but everytime he came over hunting he shot a deer, every single time, so He let me try it, i took a cigar and went and sat in his favorite ground hunting spot , was smoking it and sure enough i shot my first buck that day, a basket racked eight walked right up within ten yards of me and i could see the smoke blowing toward him, he was sniffing then saw me try to draw and took off, i shot him on the run, i dont know if it was just a major coincidence or not but it sure seemed to work for me that day, and i saw it work for him everytime he hunted, iv been a believer since, what do you guys think? coincidence or something deer might like?

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Cigars/Cigarettes attract deer?

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:38 pm

When I was a kid my dad always claimed when he smoked he shot alot of deer. He was just a gun hunter back then. If a deer is downwind you would think they could pick cigarette and human scent up at the same time. I don't smoke so I have no experience with it.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:42 pm

I know quite a few guys that killed nice bucks while smoking. I attribute it to just being lucky and their own human scent must have never reached the bucks nose more so than it being an attraction.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:44 pm

Its a confidence thing. He has convinced himself and that state of mentality is working for him. If the deer can smell the smoke, they can smell the human.

Zap

Unread postby Zap » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:54 pm

I have smoked a few deer while smoking.

:lol:

Not anymore thou, I quit.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:01 pm

The magic was that your GrandPa was a good hunter and picked good stand locations.

I don't see how you could separate the human scent from the cigar scent so that the deer would only get the strawberry scent from the cigar though I can see how it would work as an attractant. There is a company that sells incense type sticks that you can set up and burn as an attractant.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:09 pm

I don't believe it at all. I used to chew and smoke. If I chewed n spit on the ground my stand would burn out way faster then if I didnt. Same with cigarette butts. if I flicked em around my stand it was toast in a couple hunts. I believe any deer with a yr or 2 behind it our well aware it means human. I did kill alot if deer while smoking or chewing but I spit in a bottle n ashed in a bottle. Good wind goes a long way.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:53 pm

oldrank wrote:I don't believe it at all. I used to chew and smoke. If I chewed n spit on the ground my stand would burn out way faster then if I didnt. Same with cigarette butts. if I flicked em around my stand it was toast in a couple hunts. I believe any deer with a yr or 2 behind it our well aware it means human. I did kill alot if deer while smoking or chewing but I spit in a bottle n ashed in a bottle. Good wind goes a long way.

Assuming. Good wind does the smoke have any negative effect? As you know cig smoke smell can hang around a while.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:02 pm

Good wind? The smoke is negative either way IMO. Ever stand around a fire and your upwind of it? Then there are those bursts of smoke pulled towards you? I like to think this is possible in the woods too... Maybe not to that extreme but a little bit. Some scent will travel upwind and perpendicular to it. Smoke does goofy smoke things

bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:55 pm

I shot a nice 9pt buck while smoking a cigarette. 1993. I was 20 feet up to the base of my stand. It was looking up at me. I drove one down through its back with my 30-30. I don't know if it smelled the cigarette but it was looking up when I shot it. It was maybe 30 minutes after I shot a different buck and I have no idea how it got in on me without my seeing or hearing it. I think it may have just been curious about my tracks or something like that. Who knows. I don't smoke anymore.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:08 am

I have never tested it but would suspect deer can correlate cigarette smoke with humans, meaning both are bad. Cigarette smoke is very distinctive, not like it can be confused with wood smoke or anything.

I have smelled on a tree where other hunters smoked on stand the day before and also smelled other hunters smoking from 200 yards upwind. If you want to lay down some serious scent just light one up.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:12 am

I have also been able to smell other hunters smoking hundreds of yrds away.

cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:24 am

Several years ago a buddy and I doubled up about a hundred yards from each other on opposite sides of a cut that separated two bedding points. I could smell it every time he lit up. We had several deer come up around the top of that cut and move between our locations. A couple acted a bit spooky. Two bucks that moved through busted him. A few deer didn't. One doe stopped dead downwind of him and freshened a scrape. Checking the wind revealed fluctuating thermals.

rutnbuck

Unread postby rutnbuck » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:35 am

I smoke on stand and have shot mature bucks. I am aware of my scent traveling and can see how the smoke drifts with the thermals. Hasn't affected my hunting to date. Not saying it couldn't or screw up a once in a lifetime moment, just hasn't yet.i do let my clothes get smoked by a campfire. I think it mask the human scent and people are always burning in the fall so I don't think deer are to leary of it. I'm not changing now because it's working for me. When it does I will adapt.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:32 am

mheichelbech wrote:
oldrank wrote:I don't believe it at all. I used to chew and smoke. If I chewed n spit on the ground my stand would burn out way faster then if I didnt. Same with cigarette butts. if I flicked em around my stand it was toast in a couple hunts. I believe any deer with a yr or 2 behind it our well aware it means human. I did kill alot if deer while smoking or chewing but I spit in a bottle n ashed in a bottle. Good wind goes a long way.

Assuming. Good wind does the smoke have any negative effect? As you know cig smoke smell can hang around a while.

I have seen em wind the smoke n bust out.. but I would imagine my scent stream is mixed in. I would never say its an attractant.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”