Sggestions on Approach and Stands

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Sggestions on Approach and Stands

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:49 am

hunter10 wrote:Well done Stanley! The areas you marked as observation stands, are you observing field movement or positioning it to look into the woods mainly. Just figure the chances to pattern a mature buck along the field edge may be minimal because of their natural instinct to stay hidden?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I'm giving up the open fields. In other words letting my scent blow into those fields. When you hunt you normally ruin some of your hunting with encroachment, ground scent, noise things like this. There are more deer in the timber than in the fields. Your only using the observations stands to help you pattern where the bucks are moving. Then you adjust your stand position from there.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:16 am

I'm giving up the open fields. In other words letting my scent blow into those fields. When you hunt you normally ruin some of your hunting with encroachment, ground scent, noise things like this. There are more deer in the timber than in the fields. Your only using the observations stands to help you pattern where the bucks are moving. Then you adjust your stand position from there.

thanks for clearing that up
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:29 pm

I agree Stanley's approach will give u the most hunts. I would try to find specifically where those deer are bedding. Specifically are they watching into the field. But find the best bucks bed in there. If you see him moving near that spot from an ob stand it's time to move in immediately. D suspect he likes using the field at night that he can leave his bed into the wind. If want to have a pre selected tree near what I thought was preferred bedding on both sides, and set up very acutely so that he just might miss your scent but he feels safe because it's in his favor. Some easily accessible trail cameras on those fields could really help you see if there is any pattern to when a buck uses which field. I'd also like a camera on that inside corner. I think that's a good peak chase phase stand also.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”