Water / thermal question...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Re: Water / thermal question...

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:18 am

Bump.

PK posted this in another thread about thermals... So I'm bumping for those who foolishly passed this by. Great read.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:32 am

Thanks good brush up!!
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:07 pm

Good read.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Sat May 05, 2018 7:46 am

Bump

I've been looking through old threads for an answer to my question with no luck.

Does anyone have experience with cold shallow creeks that have a good amount of cover over them? I am planning on using it for access, likely in the morning. My concern is thermals rising up from the creek to the bed im hunting. I'll try milkweed a few times before season but I'm mostly curious if there is a big difference in thermals on a creek that has no cover and may be exposed to more sunlight vs a cooler creek with heavy canopy cover. Would it still have the effect produced by warmer waters? I would anticipate that warmer water would pull my scent in and then it would rise as discussed in the beginning of this thread.
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Sat May 05, 2018 9:19 am

NYBackcountry wrote:Bump

I've been looking through old threads for an answer to my question with no luck.

Does anyone have experience with cold shallow creeks that have a good amount of cover over them? I am planning on using it for access, likely in the morning. My concern is thermals rising up from the creek to the bed im hunting. I'll try milkweed a few times before season but I'm mostly curious if there is a big difference in thermals on a creek that has no cover and may be exposed to more sunlight vs a cooler creek with heavy canopy cover. Would it still have the effect produced by warmer waters? I would anticipate that warmer water would pull my scent in and then it would rise as discussed in the beginning of this thread.

iv seen some guys set up with the current of the creek, where what ever the current direction is that will most likely pull your scent that direction. so if main trail crosses the creek east to west and the current is running south, probably best to set up south of the current to pull your scent down stream. but dont forget about the wind too. im no dan but i hope that helps
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Sun May 06, 2018 2:51 am

Awesome, thanks for advice JP. Has anyone else experienced this as well? This scenario would be perfect for this particular bed, creek current is running away for the bed with prevailing wind that I would hunt it on going towards the creek.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun May 06, 2018 3:30 am

NYBackcountry wrote:Awesome, thanks for advice JP. Has anyone else experienced this as well? This scenario would be perfect for this particular bed, creek current is running away for the bed with prevailing wind that I would hunt it on going towards the creek.

In the mountains elk hunting my brother and I walked up a creek for an afternoon hunt. On the creek bank the thermals were pulling up hill. Down in the creek/ravine the cool water was pulling scent downhill.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”