Scent Control... Seriously

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigCedarJack
500 Club

Scent Control... Seriously

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:28 pm

First I'd like to say that I think the best scent control is using the wind to your advantage, and my goal isn't intended to diminish the importance of playing the wind.... But after that I have a question I'd like to ask for those who are interested.

I tried some new stuff with "scent control" this last season. I did less to try and get rid of it, such as scent killing sprays, etc; instead I did more to change it, to attempt to make it less alarming. I had some interesting results, though I will admit I did not get the opportunity to observe a mature buck that was down wind of me.

1) 3 weeks before deer season I changed my diet. I did away with anything that was animal product to the best of my ability. This was extremely difficult as meat and dairy are my two favorite food groups. :L: (There were times within the season that I would give in but I tried to always keep it to a minimal and to at least give a few days without before a hunt.)

2) I did some detoxing. I've read more on this recently and plan to take further steps.

3) I switched to as close to 100% wool as I could. (note: the deer hear might have found this curious as I never see anyone else wearing wool here in southern Oklahoma.

Last season I spent some time being VERY close to deer on the ground like never before. I easily noticed a big difference in how deer reacted to my scent; however, I didn't get enough text samples to rule out coincidence. I can give more details if anyone is interested.

I am mostly interested if anyone else has played with detoxing and dieting as a form of "scent control." I particularly appreciated their possible value more because it didn't matter if I just ran out and hunted after work or had loads of prep time. My detox ,diet, and wool were always part of me. Any comments?

BigHunt

Re: Scent Control... Seriously

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:03 pm

:lol: i detox also .........

with a bowl of Chile ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Darin
500 Club

Unread postby Darin » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:14 pm

Negative. i dont understand the benefits behind this or see the point... But I am no scent control guru what so ever. Im just asking so dont get me wrong - how has this helped your scent "elimination or control"? More details? Interesting topic

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:19 pm

Nope....I think it's a waste of time ..
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:33 pm

I haven't experimented with anything like this . I would have a really hard time with the diet part and my early season insect repellent would probably cancel out any diet efforts..:)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:40 pm

BigCedar - I have not tried anything as extreme as altering my diet but from what I know about what a human's scent is composed of (it is much more complex than just a bunch of dead skin cells falling off you and has a lot to do with personal habits and diet) you are on the right track. Basically forget about anything you see in a scent control advertisement. No fancy pants spray will do anything to a human's scent footprint, it takes much more extreme measures like you are saying. I thought about taking chlorophyll years ago but never actually did that. Supposedly it significantly reduces body odor. I recall reading some native american tribes had a formal process of changing their diet, taking sweat bathes and smoked themselves to minimize scent when preparing for a hunt.

Most would say its not worth the hassle and I would tend to agree with them most of the time but there is nothing wrong with experimenting. If you are enjoying it, go for it.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:52 am

I used to go back and forth with the scent control thing and have taken chlorophyll. I never saw any dramatic difference with anything. I never enjoyed the scent control rituals so eventually I quit. To me, my scent stream and scent trail are just part of the game I have to plan and strategize for.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:04 am

I had a buddy who did the same, even took chlorophyll tablets and went vegetarian during deer season to "smell like a herbivore"instead of a carnivore/predator. He has since stopped the uber extreme but he still practices extreme control.

Does it work? For him it does. He has more deer over 190 than anyone I know here in Iowa, and that's saying something.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:14 am

I've taken chlorophyll in seasons past. Its not 100%. I did notice when a deer smelt me it wouldn't bolt and seemed more confused on where the smell was coming from. When I didn't take it they would bolt out in a hurry. I've read they give chlorophyll to elderly patients at old folks homes that can't control their bowels. If you want to use it for deer hunting you have to start taking it before season and take it everyday thru the season not just when you hunt.

BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:27 am

muddy wrote:I had a buddy who did the same, even took chlorophyll tablets and went vegetarian during deer season to "smell like a herbivore"instead of a carnivore/predator. He has since stopped the uber extreme but he still practices extreme control.

Does it work? For him it does. He has more deer over 190 than anyone I know here in Iowa, and that's saying something.

Is it the scent control or is it iowa :think:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:47 am

I know guys that practice extreme scent control yet haven't ever killed a good buck.

Playing the wind properly and having some skill is far more important than practicing scent control. Doesn't hurt to be in a quality area as well like BigHunt said.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:09 am

Never did the diet/detox thing, but know a serial killer who practices it with his extreme scent control. He always gets a good buck including some absolute slammers on public. The guy is a great hunter. He'd argue otherwise, but he likely can kill without the scent control. He doesn't leave much to chance.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:11 am

Dewey wrote:I know guys that practice extreme scent control yet haven't ever killed a good buck.

[glow=red]Playing the wind properly and having some skill is far more important than practicing scent control.[/glow]Doesn't hurt to be in a quality area as well like BigHunt said.

I don't think any serious hunter will argue that!

Going through the scent control routine got to be a real burden when I used to do it so I quit a few years ago. In hindsight that was one of the best deer hunting decisions I ever made because it resulted in me being more mobile, learning more about how to use the wind and how deer use the wind and my big buck encounters skyrocketed as a result.

I did notice a difference going through an extreme routine (fanatically clean body and clothes, baking soda tooth brushing etc) in how and at what distance deer reacted, it just was not gaining much in the big picture.
hoyt

Unread postby hoyt » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:13 am

I'd pretty much given up on any kind of scent control for a long time. I just hunted areas with unpredictable winds and thermals and I was always soaked in sweat anyway when living and hunting fl..

But now in S. Il., hunting the drainage's and ridges and still unpredictable currents..every stitch of clothes I own is covered in dog hair..nothing I can do about it but get rid of him (not an option) and then buy all new clothes after I move.

Every deer I see knows somethings up and I just got tired of getting blown at every time I was in a tree or going and coming. So..I broke down and bought a Bee Smoker. Smoked every thing I hunt in and leave what I'm wearing in the 48qt. cooler I smoke through the drain plug hole and plug back up.

I just use whatever leaves are around and haven't been blown at since I started it last yr and the little deer I killed came right up to me from down wind of me as did several more young bucks during the season.

I should know more this yr...but I'm well pleased so far.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:24 am

BigHunt wrote:
muddy wrote:I had a buddy who did the same, even took chlorophyll tablets and went vegetarian during deer season to "smell like a herbivore"instead of a carnivore/predator. He has since stopped the uber extreme but he still practices extreme control.

Is it the scent control or is it iowa :think:

Just because it's Iowa doesn't mean 190s drop like flies... you're still talking CONSISTENTLY killing deer that are beyond mature, like 6 and 7 year old or older. He obviously plays the wind and is meticulous about entry/exit routes, stand positions, and every little thing most of us think about.

Do I believe in extreme scent measures? Nope, but that's just part of his preparation regiment and is obviously working for him.

End story, do whatever you think you need to do and mentally you're in the game when that shot presents itself.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”