Whatcha think? hunting moon days

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter10
500 Club

Re: Whatcha think? hunting moon days

Unread postby hunter10 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:28 am

I dont really have a strong grasp over the whole moon issue and not everyone has the time to drop everything to hit the woods when everything changes.

Personally I will try hunting whenever I can. To me, The moon may say that buck is going to move well today but if that buck knows theres 5 hunters in the woods he likely wont move, same as if there is 1 hunter in the woods but his wind is stinking up the whole place.. that bucks body and senses may tell him to get up and move around but his brain knows there is danger nearby.

Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:10 pm

Stanley wrote:
Bigb wrote:The problem is for some of us, we can't hunt at the drop of a hat when a cold from is coming and need to plan our hunting trips out weeks in advance since we hunt hours from home. For people like me, we need to find every advantage we can when trying to plan out a trip a month in advanced. I won't say the moon determines anything for me but it may have an influence.

I hunt quite a bit hours from home. It is hard to predict anything with the exception of the rut timing. If you hit a good moon day and the weather turns sour you are still out of luck. I base my hunts on wind direction and weather for the most part.

Those two things give me a much better constant for predicting buck movement. If you could predict wind, weather and moon phase weeks in advance I might agree with you. :think: I would just never set a hunting trip date based on a moon phase. that is just me though, if it works for you keep doing what your doing.

I wish I could predict it, my hunts would be a lot better!

This year I finally have enough trail cam evidence (running 10 to 15 cameras for the last 3 years) and have made a chart when I saw the most mature buck daytime movement. This will be my main factor this year. As of right now, November 8 to 14th is looking like when I'll be heading for a week long hunt, always seem to have the most daytime pictures then. Of course, weather has something to do with that but whenever we have any snow on the ground, it really seems to get deer on their feet. I usually go the first week in November but the second week looks like it might be my choice this year.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:05 pm

Moon transit times (when the moon is overhead or underfoot) might be a secondary factor, behind primary factors affecting deer movement like weather, food sources, hunting pressure and stage of the rut. I think it has a small effect all else being equal...but rarely is all else equal. Frankly I have spent a lot of time crunching numbers trying to find a trend from all my past hunts in my hunting log and have not found anything solid. I always think you should be proportional with your time crafting a strategy. Look at primary factors first, then dabble in moon days if you wish.

Now moon phase is different to me. I have noticed a pretty solid trend between peak rutting movement and when the so called rutting moon occurs. I see a major build-up of rutting activity in the 8-10 days leading up to the full moon and the first big peak of chasing and cruising in the five days or so after the full moon. Unlike what is claimed in the article, I think most studies have shown peak breeding stays pretty consistent every year in the northern latitudes but for some reason I do see this spike in rutting activity coinciding with the rutting moon every year. Can't explain it but thats what I see. There seems to be more late rutting activity with a late full moon and early rutting activity with an early full moon. I think its significant enough that I pay attention to when the rutting moon occurs. This year it is on Oct 26th and I am prepared for an early surge of rutting activity. That is not to say I blindly follow a rutting moon - I pay just as much attention to lots of other factors.

Anyway, just the way I see it. Everything is pretty subjective :D
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:26 pm

Looks like an early rutting moon this year. I wonder if its going to be a strange rut like two years back? Seemed like a "trickle' rut from what I saw and from what I heard from a lot of other people in my area.
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:09 pm

As far as the moon goes, when you guys say hunt seven days after a full moon/new moon does that mean deer are more likely to be going to their beds later in the morning and coming out of their beds earlier? or it just means their likely to be moving around during the day more? i have the scoutlook app and it says peek activity times/based off moon but i havent used it enough to say if its worked for me or not
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:25 pm

Pressure and weather both have a far greater impact than the moon.
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:10 am

JoeRE wrote:Moon transit times (when the moon is overhead or underfoot) might be a secondary factor, behind primary factors affecting deer movement like weather, food sources, hunting pressure and stage of the rut. I think it has a small effect all else being equal...but rarely is all else equal. Frankly I have spent a lot of time crunching numbers trying to find a trend from all my past hunts in my hunting log and have not found anything solid. I always think you should be proportional with your time crafting a strategy. Look at primary factors first, then dabble in moon days if you wish.

Now moon phase is different to me. I have noticed a pretty solid trend between peak rutting movement and when the so called rutting moon occurs. I see a major build-up of rutting activity in the 8-10 days leading up to the full moon and the first big peak of chasing and cruising in the five days or so after the full moon. Unlike what is claimed in the article, I think most studies have shown peak breeding stays pretty consistent every year in the northern latitudes but for some reason I do see this spike in rutting activity coinciding with the rutting moon every year. Can't explain it but thats what I see. There seems to be more late rutting activity with a late full moon and early rutting activity with an early full moon. I think its significant enough that I pay attention to when the rutting moon occurs. This year it is on Oct 26th and I am prepared for an early surge of rutting activity. That is not to say I blindly follow a rutting moon - I pay just as much attention to lots of other factors.

Anyway, just the way I see it. Everything is pretty subjective :D

Solid advice.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:44 am

Mike wrote:Weather trumps moon but when they line up we have had great success, specifically earlier in the season on feeding patterns.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Yes to this . /\ After Heavy or prolonged precip events with cold front, I'm in a tree regardless of moon ...., deer are up and moving .

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:23 am

bowhunter1322 wrote:As far as the moon goes, when you guys say hunt seven days after a full moon/new moon does that mean deer are more likely to be going to their beds later in the morning and coming out of their beds earlier? or it just means their likely to be moving around during the day more? i have the scoutlook app and it says peek activity times/based off moon but i havent used it enough to say if its worked for me or not

Starting a week after a full moon is approximately when the moon is directly overhead or underfoot at dawn or dusk depending on the time of year, when the sun is setting. So yes, the theory is deer are on their feet more when that happens. Like I mentioned in my previous post though, I have not noticed a significant effect, too many other bigger factors IMO.

Bigb wrote:Looks like an early rutting moon this year. I wonder if its going to be a strange rut like two years back? Seemed like a "trickle' rut from what I saw and from what I heard from a lot of other people in my area.

Just my opinion but in general yes. I think there will be a big early surge with mature bucks on thier feet at the end of October that a lot of guys are not going to be ready for then less than average rutting activity through the first two weeks of November. There still will be flurries of rutting activity through November just less than average. There will be lots of posts on here during the second week of November about how 2015 rut activity sucks. Anyway, that's just my opinion. I have been wrong before. :D
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:56 pm

good post thanks for explaining it, i didnt understand the moon concept before
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:07 pm

JoeRE wrote:
bowhunter1322 wrote:As far as the moon goes, when you guys say hunt seven days after a full moon/new moon does that mean deer are more likely to be going to their beds later in the morning and coming out of their beds earlier? or it just means their likely to be moving around during the day more? i have the scoutlook app and it says peek activity times/based off moon but i havent used it enough to say if its worked for me or not

Starting a week after a full moon is approximately when the moon is directly overhead or underfoot at dawn or dusk depending on the time of year, when the sun is setting. So yes, the theory is deer are on their feet more when that happens. Like I mentioned in my previous post though, I have not noticed a significant effect, too many other bigger factors IMO.

Bigb wrote:Looks like an early rutting moon this year. I wonder if its going to be a strange rut like two years back? Seemed like a "trickle' rut from what I saw and from what I heard from a lot of other people in my area.

Just my opinion but in general yes. I think there will be a big early surge with mature bucks on thier feet at the end of October that a lot of guys are not going to be ready for then less than average rutting activity through the first two weeks of November. There still will be flurries of rutting activity through November just less than average. There will be lots of posts on here during the second week of November about how 2015 rut activity sucks. Anyway, that's just my opinion. I have been wrong before. :D

So whats the best way to hunt a rut like that?
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:59 am

ozzz wrote: So whats the best way to hunt a rut like that?

In a nutshell I try to fill my tag before the rut because I expect November to be unpredictable. Sorry that statement is a little deceptive because obviously I am always trying to fill my tag, what I meant is I will be trying harder than usual to tag out in October.

I will be prepared to hunt my pre-rut buck bedding areas and travel corridors (typically in the direction of major doe concentrations where they are sneaking around checking does) a little earlier this year. I also am prepared to be hunting peak rut cruising funnels a little earlier. I think Halloween should be awesome to catch a mature buck on his feet cruising checking bedding areas weather dependent.

During the month of November I do not have a magic bullet for hunting a trickle rut. I just try to be even more careful about matching my hunting strategy to what I am seeing in the woods. If the bucks are not on their feet I have gone back to hunting buck bedding areas in November with some luck. If the does look like they are really dispersed into areas trying to get away from bucks but I am not seeing bucks on their feet I also might try hunting more outlying fringe cover as well. What I mean by that is outlying areas of cover in the farm country I hunt and where does seem to hole up to get away from bucks, that is sort of my lock down phase strategy every year and what I go to when cruising activity decreases and I see bucks locked down with does. The big boys seem to be all out there in those little pockets of cover with the does so that's what I start targeting then.

I want to stress though, this is my initial plan. I will be looking at what sign I see in the woods and what I see on trail cams. I think that is the best strategy. The end of October is when I typically pull cameras from spots they were out all month and move them to rut setups to be left all November. This year I might move some of them a bit earlier, maybe Oct 20-25th. If what I am seeing does not support my theory of an early spike in rutting activity I will change my strategy and keep working on those buck bedding areas until I do see serious cruising.
sunset samurai

Unread postby sunset samurai » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:28 am

dan wrote:My observations have shown me there is definitely a correlation between moon overhead / underfoot and deer movement... But I would agree with Bucky that a cold front has even more of an affect.

I have just started paying attention to this last year, and definotely did notice some correlation to the moon days that were listed on here last year. I am eager to observe this closer this year! Dan, have you compiled the list of moon days for this year? Or better yet, could you sum up how you find which days are moon days? Im sure its been on here before but I havent found it. Thanks

I have found the moon phase to be a good predictor of deer movement when they are on a bedding / feeding pattern. When rut kicks in everything changes.

I kinda disagree, YOUR 1ST sentence is right on, but, I really have noticed a strong correlation in some of the areas i hunt with rut... The number of deer I see within an hour of moon time out cruising while hunting western Wisconsin and North Eastern Iowa hill country is eye opening in comparison to the number that are outside of moon time. That, or I should buy a lottery ticket.

Ironically, I don't see the rut correlation in the swamps and farm land around home, but thats probably due to not seeing any midday cruising around here. Pressure probably has an impact.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:13 am

I have just started paying attention to this last year, and definotely did notice some correlation to the moon days that were listed on here last year. I am eager to observe this closer this year! Dan, have you compiled the list of moon days for this year? Or better yet, could you sum up how you find which days are moon days? Im sure its been on here before but I havent found it. Thanks

I actually just bought the Murry moon chart, because for $9 it was worth not having to search the internet and moon calendars, but im not going to pay the much higher new fee considering the info is out there free. When I post my moon predictions I will try to remember to include links so you can use it yourself...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:25 am

I've killed two bucks on moon days, both times they were at least on their feet an hour before last shooting light, extremely rare for public land. Now it may be a coincidence but I've seen enough evidence to plan some hunts around moon days. All I really hope to gain is that earlier movement, the bucks I hunt still aren't moving more than 100-200 yards from bedding in daylight. If I am not inside that circle I have very little chance of the moon doing me any favors. Maybe 80-90% is me scouting and getting close, the rest is maybe the moon getting them riled up a touch earlier than usual.

I have seen some morning mid-day rut activitiy during moon times, not a whole lot but enough to try and be in the woods. Like others have said, I will hunt whenever I can get time, however if I can plan some moon day hunts I will do that as well. Have to take advantage of every angle I can, especially on public.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”