Spray down your trail cameras?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

Spray down your trail cameras?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:29 am

Do you guys spray your trail cams with some scent away, or anything after hanging them? I sometimes wonder if big mature bucks can smell those cover up sprays, and relate THAT smell to human danger... I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.. Lol

[ Post made via Android ] Image

BigCedarJack
500 Club

Re: Spray down your trail cameras?

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:39 am

I do.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:45 am

I do not. I have a feeling it would do very little. I doubt it hurts anything though.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:07 am

Stanley wrote:I do not. I have a feeling it would do very little. I doubt it hurts anything though.

exactly my thoughts
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:10 am

I don't as I don't practice any scent control during deployment. I'm often hot, sweaty and stinky.

The only thing I apply to my trail cameras is permithrin or bifenthrin for insects.
Last edited by BassBoysLLP on Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:10 am

What do you mean Stanley, by it doing very little to help? Wouldn't it be a good thing to get any human scent off the camera?

dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:13 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:I don't as I don't practice any scent control during deployment. I'm often hot, sweaty and stinky.

The only thing I apply to my trail cameras is permithrin or bifenthrin for insects.

But wouldn't you rather not leave behind any human scent on your cams? Maybe it's not that big of a deal, I may be over thinking this.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:14 am

dreaming bucks wrote:What do you mean Stanley, by it doing very little to help? Wouldn't it be a good thing to get any human scent off the camera?

I can't speak for stanly, but my thought is that you can remove human scent from a camera body fairly easy. However, you can't place it without adding human scent to the enviroment around it. So having a scent free camera placed in an ocean of human scent really wouldn't make any differance at all.
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:22 am

Ya, I get that we are stinking up the place just by standing there hanging camera, but I would think if you have your hands all over the camera, that direct contact scent would hang around a little longer, but I'm not sure...

I also hang my cams, while standing on my 4 Wheeler, never putting boots on the ground, hoping the deer just relate smelling me, to the 4 Wheeler driving through the woods, if that makes sense?

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:28 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:I don't as I don't practice any scent control during deployment. I'm often hot, sweaty and stinky.

But wouldn't you rather not leave behind any human scent on your cams? Maybe it's not that big of a deal, I may be over thinking this.

As noted, it can't hurt. Likely more of a benefit if you never get off the wheeler. I just don't see a tangible benefit if I've already polluted the whole area with human scent. This is all speculation. I personally never compared the response time.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:37 am

ATV might help... I don't know? But me personally, I would have the cams back far enough that it don't effect the buck in the kill area, or I would hang them during or just before a heavy rain, in which case your scentless camera might actually be a good thing.
Jdaukontas

Unread postby Jdaukontas » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:40 am

This is my first year running cameras since joining the beast, and I make it a point to put out and take down cameras in the rain. I have noticed an increase in activity. Have also been using my sticks to put it high in the tree and I no longer have pictures of animals looking into my camera and spooking. In all, it has been a lot better. Thanks HUNTINGBEAST!
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:10 am

I've tried a lot of methods. I started out spraying camera and everything I touched. Have fresh clothes I slipped on for hanging cams. Now I've come to just hang them just where whatever and no sprays. I would not hang a cam with in 100 yrds of a bed I intend to hunt. But on fields and salt licks, I just hang them dripping sweat. I've even come to think when I put corn out in the summer. Why not just get as much scent on it as possible. Get the deer to associate me positively. If I were going to hang a cam near a bed I'd hang it, in and out quick, don't hang it to close. Need to strategically place it where the deer won't be seeing the camera. Don't check it until u hunt it. Then take what u can from it. Or place it on a bed u do not intend to hunt. Scrapes, I place them in main hollows not so close to where I hunt. I typically hang them when I go in to hunt or hang them early and check them when I hunt. During the heat of the rut u can check them a little more freely...

Trail camera can be one of your biggest assets, but used incorrectly can be detrimental to your success... Timing and placement is everything. I do love to scout/ hang cam in a thundershowet or just before. Just don't get moisture in your camera...

dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:22 am

dan wrote:ATV might help... I don't know? But me personally, I would have the cams back far enough that it don't effect the buck in the kill area, or I would hang them during or just before a heavy rain, in which case your scentless camera might actually be a good thing.

I store my cameras in a tub of activated carbon and spray it down with the same after deployment.
I set them during/before a heavy rain to help with my human scent, but if something as a camera that is staying in the woods, I will try to make sure it is treated.
In my mind, a treated camera that is left for months would continue to smell if the odor is embedded in the strap, housing etc. not saying it's right, just have had better results.

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:32 am

dreaming bucks wrote:What do you mean Stanley, by it doing very little to help? Wouldn't it be a good thing to get any human scent off the camera?

I think Dan covered it pretty well. When you set a camera out the scent left on the camera is slight compared to the rest of the scent scattered about. The more time you spend in one small area the more scent you leave. You could wear surgical gloves to keep the oils from your hands getting on the cameras also.

Truth of the matter it is more about thinking your making the camera deployment more scent free than actually doing anything for real. Like I said it doesn't hurt one thing though. So if it gives you a better feeling keep doing it.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”