Spray down your trail cameras?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Re: Spray down your trail cameras?

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:13 am

I would think that your scent from being there and the scent on the camera would dispearse at the same time, so no need to spray down the camera.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:16 am

Bowhunting Brian wrote:I would think that your scent from being there and the scent on the camera would dispearse at the same time, so no need to spray down the camera.

Great point. The wind is a great scent washer. The cameras probably get wind cleaned faster than the ground scent in some cases.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Rubline

Unread postby Rubline » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:39 am

I will clean the camera up after its been inside over the winter/spring, but let the rain keep it clean after that. As far as position I'll set cameras at waist level for photographing rubs/scrapes, otherwise I angle the camera high off to the side of trails and other spots. Depends on the situation. At least high up there are no doe nose shots of 15 in a row.
From my experience I think deer and especially bucks hear the camera go off and are not necessarily smelling the camera.
Brett

Unread postby Brett » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:58 am

no. but i do put mine ~10' or more. have never had a video of a deer attempting to smell cams that high, but did encounter it when i used to put cams at deer eye level.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:54 am

Brett wrote:no. but i do put mine ~10' or more. have never had a video of a deer attempting to smell cams that high, but did encounter it when i used to put cams at deer eye level.

Great point that may be one advantage less deer snot on the cameras. I have had a few licked by deer.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:10 pm

Man I have cams that make noise and covered in my scent and have multiple mature bucks coming in repeatedly. They stop, stare, stay on the corn and flick their ears. Same thing on mock scrapes during late October and November. Maybe I'm just lucky on private land.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”