Having To Change Approach Due To Physical Injury

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NaturesEcho

Having To Change Approach Due To Physical Injury

Unread postby NaturesEcho » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:47 am

Has anyone had to change the way they hunt, either temporarily or permanently, due to a physical injury? Did you feel it helped or hindered you?

I ask because I unfortunately am having my knee reconstructed and will not be able to climb trees or access locations this season as I have in years past. Dragging deer from the woods this season will be impossible without help.

This is an extremely difficult pill for me to swallow. I have always been very independent and athletic, never seeking assistance (sometimes to a fault). I also will not be able to utilize my primary method of hunting, which is the Tree Saddle.

I will literally be forced to change my entire approach to hunting this year, by going primarily ground-based with the slight possibility of hunting out of a few ladder stands (which I have strategically carved into the densest cover I can find only where possible), or maybe a climber if my rehab goes well enough. Luckily, I consider myself a fair ground hunter.

I'm hoping this change in tactics opens up a new repertoire for myself as a hunter, making me more diverse. The mental aspect will be tough though, as I will be filled with doubts as failures are exaggerated in my mind.

I look forward to hearing about other's experiences and how they handled the change.

-Jason
stash59

Re: Having To Change Approach Due To Physical Injury

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:47 am

Just be happy with your time in the woods. It could be worse. BELIEVE me. TRY to switch gears and put a positive spin on it. Having the right mental attitude will make a huge difference in making decisions. I know this doesn't give you any actual tactics but I'm sure you'll get plenty on here anyway. I'm interested in hearing what others have to say as well because of my disability.

Positive thoughts and great hunting. :dance: :dance:

If I knew how to pull up threads not to long back one was going on the subject of ground hunting. If I can find it I'll try to help you get hooked up with it.

Positive thoughts!!!!
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:48 am

Adapt and overcome.
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:09 am

Zap wrote:Adapt and overcome.

This is what has kept me in the woods after 6 back operations and a bunch of aftermarket parts. Where there is a will there is a way. You will sort it out.

It is a tough pill to swallow and a difficult adjustment. Hopefully it will only be temporary. The reality is that whether it helps or hinders you is immaterial. You are going to be physically limited by what you can do and it is what it is.

I am limited in the ground that I can cover and I can't drag a deer out. I need help to get it out and in the truck so I plan accordingly. I am fortunate in that I have a good friend who is retired and he loves to hunt.

You have to figure out what your limitations are going to be and how to work around them. There is a member here that is in a wheel chair and he still manages to get out.

Hang in there it will work out.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:15 am

Found the thread. it's called: Success from the ground. It was posted by Lockdown. Lots of good ground hunting stuff from some very successful members.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:33 am

Keep on top of the physio! Seen too many people get frustrated and bored and slack off and the injury takes forever to heal and then the basic hobbies you try to do end up wrecking the injured body more and more

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:53 am

stash59 wrote:Found the thread. it's called: Success from the ground. It was posted by Lockdown. Lots of good ground hunting stuff from some very successful members.

Here is a link to the thread Stash mentioned and another thread along the same lines:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29460&hilit=Success+from+the+ground
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30559&p=410849&hilit=Success+from+the+ground#p410849

I hunted on the ground exclusively for many years and shot quite a few deer over the years, no monsters though. I still hunt with the gun and ML on the ground exclusively. I suspect that you will be more limited by the distance and terrain you can travel more than anything else. That is one of my issues and I have yet to find a real solution other than finding places that easier to walk and closer to the truck.

Bob

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:46 pm

You'll be ok. You may have to change up a few things but that is not a deal breaker. I had medical issues last year during hunting season and still did the best I could. I have a feeling you'll do just fine.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:59 am

Aug 29th 2012 I broke both femurs and my left knee cap in a bad car crash that shoulda took my life. I've still got rods inside my femurs and they are screwed into my hips and knees. I killed a button head out of a ground blind opening day of muzzleloader on nov. 3rd I think. My friend setup the blind for me and drove me out to the blind on a four wheeler I could barely walk with a cane! I was very limited that season but stayed positive. I still can't run but can carry weight so I'm overall fine. I deal with pain daily but walk slower so I'm actually quieter. I can't pick my legs up as high walking over downed logs and limbs can be a hinderance. I fall from time to time, especially when I try to hurry, but my arms are a lot stronger and I just get up and keep truckin. I would Push your phys therapy and try to out do your doctors best expectations, but also listen to your body. You will be very limited on time with regaining flexibility in your knee. Also the medication they often give can get addicting be careful. Good luck and don't ever let them tell you... You can't!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
NaturesEcho

Unread postby NaturesEcho » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:23 pm

I really appreciate all the advice guys!

I'll keep you posted on my progress. Talking hunting will be excellent rehab motivation!
-Jason
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:17 pm

I wish you the best in your recovery.

Be careful with the ground hunting, it has been known to be eye opening and addicting. I hunt from the ground as much as I can these days. It is so refreshing after being fastened to a tree for years. Use it to your advantage, hunt places where there aren't any good huntable trees.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:34 pm

PK_ wrote:I wish you the best in your recovery.

Be careful with the ground hunting, it has been known to be eye opening and addicting. I hunt from the ground as much as I can these days. It is so refreshing after being fastened to a tree for years. Use it to your advantage, hunt places where there aren't any good huntable trees.

When I am noting on the ground during the archery season I am using a crossbow which I set on a monopod so it really keeps the movement down. This will give you a big advantage over a compound bow on the ground.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”