Busted!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NatureBoy
500 Club

Busted!

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:36 am

On Wednesday evening I set up and hunted on a point that dumps off into a swamp. There is doe and buck bedding to the N of where I was set up and buck bedding to the S. I was hunting it on a SW wind, almost the wrong wind for the beds to the N. But at 5:45PM I heard crashing in the swamp coming towards me and two does came up on the point where I was. It got dark without seeing any more deer. I decided to hunt it again the next morning, on a W wind, which carried my scent straight out into the swamp. The plan was to hunt the very tip of the point and catch the deer on their way back in to bed.

I got in at 4:30AM, two hours before light. I could hear at least one deer already out in the swamp. As I was setting up, I dropped one of my steps on my LW - CLANG! :shock: .

A few minutes after I settled in I could hear more deer coming down the point and making their way into the swamp. Then at around 7:30AM, a doe and her fawn file past at about 30 yards and bed down in the swamp.

At 8AM the winds shifted and started blowing my scent into the doe bedding area. Hadn't seen any activity in 1/2 and I figured the deer had probably pretty much bedded down. So I eased down and started making my way out. I notice a big, brand new scrape and more trees rubbed up. Fifty yards up I stop along a stone wall to pack everything up. In the process I hear a deer blowing at me from the W. I turn slowly around only to see a big flag headed the other way. I couldn't see what it was, but I have a bad feeling it was a buck coming down to work the scrape. He didn't wind me, but he saw me.

How would you all proceed?

Scout, scout, scout, hunt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Busted!

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:52 am

How would you all proceed?

I would move to my next hunting spot and forget about that one for a while.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:13 am

dan wrote:I would move to my next hunting spot and forget about that one for a while.

I was thinking of letting it rest for a week. Do you think it needs more than that? I've got plenty of spots. It's just hard to stay away when I know there is more than one nice buck in there. But there is also good doe bedding. Might be a great early rut spot.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:16 am

I only hunt a spot about once a month unless its real hot, then I hunt it a couple days in a row, and then move on...
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:02 am

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:15 am

If the wind is right in another few days or week and it's a great spot I'd be back in there. There's more than one buck in the woods, especially during the rut.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
wibow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jon.j.justice

Unread postby wibow » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:58 am

usually only hunt a spot once a month also unless it's going heavy, but with rain, time of year, etc.it depends. In the case a buck actually sees me,I'm either goin to try and hunt him from a slightly different spot in that area right away,but since you stated there are a few bucks in there...your ballgame man. I hate stinking up my spots so I would be hunting another area and buck but since rut is right around corner,again your call man. Goodluck.
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:09 am

Thanks muddy and wibow for your input. I think I'll give it a shot again in a week if the wind is right. We had heavy wind and rain the day after I was in there, so hopefully that cleared out any trace of me and the deer will have time to forget about me. I'll let you guys know what happens.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”