Ozone test (field and stream)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trapper57
500 Club

Ozone test (field and stream)

Unread postby trapper57 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:54 am

Interesting read
http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/ ... SOC&dom=fb

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

BigHunt

Re: Ozone test (field and stream)

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:58 am

now if we could just hunt big old mature bucks in a cardboard box in a building :think: .......then I might agree with this
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:33 am

Good article. I've come full circle on scent control. I'm a believer once again. Bring on the negative comments. I've seen the results of good practice. I actually have developed and evaluated computational models that demonstrate the principles. You arent going to beat the nose, but you may fool with it.

I also admit I don't exclusively practice it. Some scenarios honestly don't require it. Sometimes I wish I had more. Sometimes I'm plain lazy or the access is a couple miles of heat and sweat It isn't worth it unless it is executed well.

Note: If you are a student to wind and thermals (eg Dan) you don't need it to be successful. Scent control only addresses the "what if" factor. I believe in minimizing "what if"

[ Post made via Android ] Image
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:39 am

What is really interesting, if I read the test correctly, is the cheaper ozone unit performed nearly as well (8 second difference) as the expensive ozonics one!

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:02 am

In theory o3 makes since. It's highly highly reactive and going to bind anything it can it wants to get rid of that extra oxygen. My only fear is what it will do to me if I breathe it for 100 hrs a yr for 20-30 yrs... For me it's not worth breathing a highly reactive substance..

Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:02 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Good article. I've come full circle on scent control. I'm a believer once again. Bring on the negative comments. I've seen the results of good practice. I actually have developed and evaluated computational models that demonstrate the principles. You arent going to beat the nose, but you may fool with it.

I also admit I don't exclusively practice it. Some scenarios honestly don't require it. Sometimes I wish I had more. Sometimes I'm plain lazy or the access is a couple miles of heat and sweat It isn't worth it unless it is executed well.

Note: If you are a student to wind and thermals (eg Dan) you don't need it to be successful. Scent control only addresses the "what if" factor. I believe in minimizing "what if"

You won't get any negatives out of me. You said it the way I would have. Even if scent control only helps 1% in certain cases, thats still an advantage I'll take. For me, scent control doesn't take much effort. Washing my clothes with a different detergent that I have anyway, putting them in a different tote (that actually is more convenient), and spraying down with a bottle that costs me $7, heck I spend that on a beer at a ball game. Even if scent control is has a placebo effect on me, it still makes me feel a bit more confident and that is an advantage.

That was an interesting test they did, it does many you wonder a bit.....
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:18 pm

I used my neighbors on a week long hunt last year on public land. At first the bulk of the unit kinda annoyed me in my pack. After having deer after deer downwind of me the remainder of the week I was fairly convinced. Especially since my buddy was getting busted at least every day!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:29 pm

Thanks for posting the link, I have 2 friends in the market for the ozone stuff. I will forward the link so they may benefit
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:59 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:Good article. I've come full circle on scent control. I'm a believer once again. Bring on the negative comments. I've seen the results of good practice. I actually have developed and evaluated computational models that demonstrate the principles.

Care to share that data?

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:03 pm

Dewey wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:Good article. I've come full circle on scent control. I'm a believer once again. Bring on the negative comments. I've seen the results of good practice. I actually have developed and evaluated computational models that demonstrate the principles.

Care to share that data?

What do you want to know? I got a ton of stuff from dispersion modeling to ways of optimizing carbon clothing (a couple members on here have seen this data). Some information I'm considering proprietary at this time, but feel free to PM me as I consider you trustworthy.

Again, no scent elimination here. Only significant reduction.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:14 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Care to share that data?

What do you want to know? I got a ton of stuff from dispersion modeling to ways of optimizing carbon clothing (a couple members on here have seen this data). Some information I'm considering proprietary at this time, but feel free to PM me as I consider you trustworthy.

Again, no scent elimination here. Only significant reduction.

As soon as the info is available to the public I'm sure everyone here would love to be the first to view it here on the Beast. I'm open minded but need to see some data to back it up.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:53 am

Interesting article. The science behind using ozone to remove odor in a controlled environment is sound. I suspect the results would not have been as clear cut with the individual up in an open tree stand in a woodlot but I have heard enough reasonably trustworthy people say it helped them to think it probably has a modest benefit in reducing your scent footprint if you know what you are doing. If you don't know what you are doing I am sure it works as well as the acorn cruncher.

The issue of purposely generating a known poison in the air you breath is another matter. Ozone is nasty stuff and I suspect that will be the eventual demise of this particular technology. I wonder how many health related lawsuits ozonics has been targeted with so far. Ozoniocs won't say what concentration of ozone they generate but it must be close to the EPA air quality standard. This limit has been reduced over time and will continue to go down due to very conclusive evidence of chronic exposure to low levels of ozone causing many respiratory system issues. That is why this technology is in trouble (at least the idea of using a unit while hunting).

I like the idea of using ozone in a sealed container to neutralize scent on your clothes. If I try it that is the only way I would be willing to mess around with ozone. I was surprised just doing that showed a very positive effect, even though it would not have an impact on a person's actual body scent. I hate "studies" that only do ONE test on anything though, that is pretty much worthless. Please do an average of a dozen or something like that!!!

Lots of people smoke though, and sucking on an ozonics for three hours in your tree stand is probably lower risk than smoking even one coffin nail a day - or drinking a six pack every night.

Anyway, just thoughts bouncing around in my head. Kudos to everyone keeping this conversation civil thus far :D
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:58 am

JoeRE wrote:Interesting article. The science behind using ozone to remove odor in a controlled environment is sound. I suspect the results would not have been as clear cut with the individual up in an open tree stand in a woodlot but I have heard enough reasonably trustworthy people say it helped them to think it probably has a modest benefit in reducing your scent footprint if you know what you are doing. If you don't know what you are doing I am sure it works as well as the acorn cruncher.

[glow=red]The issue of purposely generating a known poison in the air you breath is another matter. Ozone is nasty stuff and I suspect that will be the eventual demise of this particular technology. I wonder how many health related lawsuits ozonics has been targeted with so far. Ozoniocs won't say what concentration of ozone they generate but it must be close to the EPA air quality standard. This limit has been reduced over time and will continue to go down due to very conclusive evidence of chronic exposure to low levels of ozone causing many respiratory system issues. That is why this technology is in trouble (at least the idea of using a unit while hunting).[/glow]

I like the idea of using ozone in a sealed container to neutralize scent on your clothes. If I try it that is the only way I would be willing to mess around with ozone. I was surprised just doing that showed a very positive effect, even though it would not have an impact on a person's actual body scent.

Lots of people smoke though, and sucking on an ozonics for three hours in your tree stand is probably lower risk than smoking even one coffin nail a day - or drinking a six pack every night.

Anyway, just thoughts bouncing around in my head. Kudos to everyone keeping this conversation civil thus far :D

I agree 100%. I'm surprised Ozonics advocates using them in a ground blind. Nuts!
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:05 am

BassBoysLLP wrote: I'm surprised Ozonics advocates using them in a ground blind. Nuts!

Yea if I was an attorney I would smell blood in the water with that statement. It's an open invitation for a class-action lawsuit.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:42 am

My biggest problem is still the cost of it all. With my limited funds I'd rather spend the money on gas to get to do more scouting and taveling to farther destinations. Dan's proven that method.

Although if it could mean not burning out an area as quick that may offset that.

Just without it is less to worry about and have to store and carry.

Can u tell I'm on the fence sitting right on a barb with this? :think: :think: :doh: :doh:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”