He's back!!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: He's back!!!

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:44 pm

Very cool all the history you have with this deer. That's very impressive. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:11 pm

mheichelbech wrote:I'm curious what have you learned in hunting him? Any dos and donts that could be applied to other bucks?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Way easier to hunt at 6-7 compared to 4-5.
Last year it is almost like he went back to being a 2 yr old... but maybe that is because he was injured and knew he had to eat to survive winter. Seemed like late Nov and early Dec he was willing to feed in daylight

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:00 pm

Bucky wrote:He lives in 100 so acres of this

I hunt a property that looks just like that....fun tracking in that stuff!

bones09

Unread postby bones09 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:00 am

Look at the grape on that deer, pretty cool to have that much history with him. I hope you can make it happen..
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:05 am

Bucky wrote:He lives in 100 so acres of this

So how does his bedding in that stuff relate to what we've read on here as far as classic buck bedding?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:14 am

That would relate to your marsh/swamp bedding, sometimes just out in the middle of that stuff is the safest place to bed, there is likely some kind of interior transition or maybe a small hump they are bedding on or near. I have a spot that looks exactly the same, its only 20 acres in size but very difficult to hunt. I even wonder if the big boys just hang up in their and stage until dark. The spot I hunt is also near a lake so they can use those water thermals against you just before dark.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:33 am

So do they still use some kind of cover at their back?
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:02 am

Bucky wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:I'm curious what have you learned in hunting him? Any dos and donts that could be applied to other bucks?

Last year it is almost like he went back to being a 2 yr old... but maybe that is because he was injured and knew he had to eat to survive winter. Seemed like late Nov and early Dec he was willing to feed in daylight

X2 you can count on him being more and more visible now. Its pretty typical for a 7+ year old deer. He is acting like a 80 year old man, a whole lot easier to pin down than your average 30 year old. I would go so far as to say the odds are someone will shoot him this fall even if you pass him - unless no one else hunts his small core area. Make a firm decision now on if you will pass him cuz as you know he will probably be very killable. Would be a pretty awesome trophy for a kid particularly if you can get the message across about how rare a deer like that is!!
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:06 am

stash59 wrote:So do they still use some kind of cover at their back?

Here's a pic of one that just stood up from its bed in similar stuff. Wind to back with the bigger clump of brush behind him

jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:49 am

jmaas07 wrote:

Here's a pic of one that just stood up from its bed in similar stuff. Wind to back with the bigger clump of brush behind him

Think this may be hard to see....buck is standing almost at the center of the picture right in front of the clump of red brush..that's right when he stood up, bed is right there

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:00 am

Yeah I found him the first time .Thanx
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:42 am

jmaas07 wrote:

Killed my biggest buck ground hunting in stuff just like that. Also, I have seen the 2 biggest bucks I've ever seen in just that kind of ground.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:43 am

Bucky wrote:

Did you learn anything that could be applied to other single buck huntinf besides the age difference?

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
feutza
500 Club

Unread postby feutza » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:20 pm

What a stud I hope you get him Bucky

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:42 pm

Not sure if anything specific from this buck... other than the shrinking core area and increasing daylight movements at yrs 6 & 7.

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”