How Long Can He Lay?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: How Long Can He Lay?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:01 pm

So it sounds like the presence of deer dung is a good indicator of a frequently used and fresh bed....does the absence of it indicate a lack of recent or irregular usage?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:08 pm

mheichelbech wrote:So it sounds like the presence of deer dung is a good indicator of a frequently used and fresh bed....does the absence of it indicate a lack of recent or irregular usage?

I think a lot of poo is a good sign, but lack of it don't mean its a bad spot. I don't know why, but some of my best bedding areas really don't have a lot of poo, some do...
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:49 am

Dewey wrote:
dan wrote:
stash59 wrote:Another question. So would all these close together buck beds be a situation where the bedding area could be confused for doe bedding?

I have seen people confuse the two... Yes.

More than once I have found a very secure bedding areas with the typical circular pattern bed patterns associated with doe family bedding. Judging by the bed and track size in the snow I know it was at least one buck that was re-positioning thruout the day.

Did all these beds still have the classic setup? Tree or thick cover of some kind behind them. Or was it just thick cover in general?
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:00 am

mheichelbech wrote:So it sounds like the presence of deer dung is a good indicator of a frequently used and fresh bed....does the absence of it indicate a lack of recent or irregular usage?

I think a bed with a lot of pellets in or arond it, and hair. Is good indicator the bed is used and used frequently. The more clues you have the better your chances, in picking a good bed to set up on.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:10 am

How about those beds under the larger lone tree in the cattails? do they leave these or just get up and do their thing and lay back down. In general of course.
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:37 am

On public land in hill country last year I had a younger buck (2.5 yr old) that bedded for about an hour at a time on a point very close to me (34 yds). He would get up and walk around as said before about a 10-15 yd circle munching on acorns and relieving himself and then bed back down. The next point over had another buck, but I was never able to make out his rack. That buck I never saw move until another hunter came walking thru around 1:00 in the afternoon. Then, the smaller buck and him dropped into the bottom where I could not see him at all.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”