2nd Full moon in the Fall puts does in estrus?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

2nd Full moon in the Fall puts does in estrus?

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:24 pm

I read this in Deer and Deer Hunting magazine that the 2nd full moon in the fall equinox gets does to enter estrus. According to the magazine article Wisconsin will have the peak estrus around Nov. 23. From what I have seen in the past here in West Central Wisconsin the day the bucks are out running in open fields in midday is November 9-11.

Personally I dont believe the magazine article. I think it has more to do with decreasing daylight because that would be more of a constant on a year to year basis rather than having the 2nd full moon being up to a month apart from eachother from year to year.

Also I have read that mature bucks have the ability to get does to enter estrus?

Arrowbender
500 Club

Re: 2nd Full moon in the Fall puts does in estrus?

Unread postby Arrowbender » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:58 pm

I wouldn't discount what they said. If peak breeding is on the 23rd it is not too far fetched that the peak chase to be around the 13th. I don't put too much stock into the moon phase for estrous but I know that peak breeding (lock down) isn't the easiest period to hunt.
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Re: 2nd Full moon in the Fall puts does in estrus?

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:44 pm

[quote= but I know that peak breeding (lock down) isn't the easiest period to hunt.[/quote]

X2

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”