Anyone sleep in to hunt midday?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wmihunter

Re: Anyone sleep in to hunt midday?

Unread postby wmihunter » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:52 am

The 2 biggest bucks i have seen 130" and 145" (approx) were seen just after 11 am on seperate days in mid november

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Robert

Unread postby Robert » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:05 pm

Arrowbender wrote:By all means, I agree that mid-day can produce some big buck encounters during rut.

But to use it as an excuse to sleep in.

NO THANKS!!!

Sure if I had two weeks of vacation to use during the rut; I may sleep in on the few days when it's too wet or too windy (key word here is "too"! Wet and Windy are not excuses) in the pre-dawn; I have seen way too much good buck movement before 8:00 am to sleep in. (Period)

Go ahead and lecture about burn-out or some other BS.....I have chased whitetails enough years to know that the small window of the rut is magical. I WILL do what ever it takes to be in the timber as much as I can during that time.
Especially those primetimes within 2 hours of darkness !!

We can all come up with excuses. But if mid-day is good........ALL day is better!!!!

My $.02

X2

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:25 pm

Stanley wrote:A couple of things to point out. In the early morning the doe beds are empty. The does that are not in heat, still bed and feed as they always do. :think: I believe this is why the early morning may not be as good as midday. The breeder bucks are not going to be where the does are not. :think: If the does are out feeding at night in the dark that is where the breeder bucks will be.

Bucks during the rut do not take time off. They are active all day and all night. This is what makes the rut so good, the bucks are on their feet not on their bellies. It is fairly easy to ascertain bucks travel at night in the dark away from bedding during the rut. This is why the roadsides are littered with dead bucks during the rut. :think:

I remember I was at a seminar about Big Buck hunting in the late 70s. Roger Rothhaar was the speaker. The one thing I remember from that seminar was Roger stating "he never goes into the woods in the dark AM". At the time I thought he was full of it. It's just so hard to break tradition and not be in the stand in the dark. I didn't follow Rogers advice until many years later. I then realized that guy Roger wasn't just blowing smoke. :think:

What was Roger's reasoning? There are certain circumstances where going in early does more harm than good. You need to let the pressured deer bed to get in cleaner, but I wouldn't consider this principle universal. It all depends on the type of access and the pattern on hand.
You have decades more experience than me so I'm interested to hear your full perspective.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:49 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Stanley wrote:A couple of things to point out. In the early morning the doe beds are empty. The does that are not in heat, still bed and feed as they always do. :think: I believe this is why the early morning may not be as good as midday. The breeder bucks are not going to be where the does are not. :think: If the does are out feeding at night in the dark that is where the breeder bucks will be.

Bucks during the rut do not take time off. They are active all day and all night. This is what makes the rut so good, the bucks are on their feet not on their bellies. It is fairly easy to ascertain bucks travel at night in the dark away from bedding during the rut. This is why the roadsides are littered with dead bucks during the rut. :think:

I remember I was at a seminar about Big Buck hunting in the late 70s. Roger Rothhaar was the speaker. The one thing I remember from that seminar was Roger stating "he never goes into the woods in the dark AM". At the time I thought he was full of it. It's just so hard to break tradition and not be in the stand in the dark. I didn't follow Rogers advice until many years later. I then realized that guy Roger wasn't just blowing smoke. :think:

What was Roger's reasoning? There are certain circumstances where going in early does more harm than good. You need to let the pressured deer bed to get in cleaner, but I wouldn't consider this principle universal. It all depends on the type of access and the pattern on hand.
You have decades more experience than me so I'm interested to hear your full perspective.

You are testing my memory here, that was close to 40 years ago. I think it was all about his approach to the stand. Roger is/was a big guy and I don't think he was very nimble. I think he was adding some stealth to his otherwise Holstein sounding approach. He probably explains it in his books he wrote. I don't have the books nor have I read them. I do know he was from Ohio at the time and now resides in Iowa.

I can touch on a couple of things about early morning hunting from my perspective. Don't get me wrong I do hunt in the mornings some. In fact I almost killed my target buck last year in the morning. Anyway, I have a way much easier time patterning a buck that I can glass and watch his movements in the daylight. :think:

I can't pattern a buck in the early morning in the dark very well. I do run cameras but I don't really check them to set up on a buck. I do get some intel for the next year quite often, if a buck I have my eye on is still alive. In fact my target buck from last year (spark plug) is still alive. I did not get this information in the early morning in the dark. :think:

I will keep an eye on spark plug. I have some camera intel from last year I can use this year to try and kill him. Back to the morning stuff. Early mornings the wind is often very still. I hate no wind conditions. The thermals will eat you up on calm no wind conditions. Cold fronts after warm days, warm fronts after cold days, it's jungle out there with thermals and calm wind mornings.

The noise levels are magnified early morning in the dark. Deer hear way better than we can. Think about this, if a buck can't smell you on a calm no wind morning because the thermals don't let your scent get to his nose. He can still hear you!! Win but still lose. :think:

I hunt way more than most people, no brag, just fact. I hunt the Holidays including Christmas & Thanksgiving, if I haven't scored on a buck. I do miss a day now and then but for decades I hunted everyday of the season, rain or shine. Now days I frankly get hunters burn out. If I skip a morning or two I am so much more ready to go later in the day. Plus, I don't have to hunt early mornings to kill a good buck.

Over the last 10 years I have killed a total of -0- bucks early morning. All of my kills have been between 10:00 AM and dark. I did kill a buck in 2004 in the early morning. For those guys that don't hunt as much or as often as I do, early morning time in the woods is more important.

I guess I'm just like that old buck that has slowed way down to survive. ;) :lol:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:38 pm

I'm like Arrowbender... in that if it's in the rut and a day I have off to hunt, I hunt dark to dark. Though if I do that enough days and I'm in a stand I end up taking a few short midday naps.

I started packing a Redbull.

I've shot bucks at all hours of the day during hundreds of days hunting dark to dark in the rut. Though rarely at daylight it seems. Last one was 6:55am, -17F, and full moon. Practically full daylight. That was 12 years ago.

JROD157

Unread postby JROD157 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:52 am

Arrowbender wrote:By all means, I agree that mid-day can produce some big buck encounters during rut.

But to use it as an excuse to sleep in.

NO THANKS!!!

Sure if I had two weeks of vacation to use during the rut; I may sleep in on the few days when it's too wet or too windy (key word here is "too"! Wet and Windy are not excuses) in the pre-dawn; I have seen way too much good buck movement before 8:00 am to sleep in. (Period)

Go ahead and lecture about burn-out or some other BS.....I have chased whitetails enough years to know that the small window of the rut is magical. I WILL do what ever it takes to be in the timber as much as I can during that time.
Especially those primetimes within 2 hours of darkness !!

We can all come up with excuses. But if mid-day is good........ALL day is better!!!!

My $.02

I am on board with you. If I have the time and can hunt all day, consider it done. During primtime, being in the tree is valuable no matter what time of day it is. Midday hunts produce big buck encounters just as the morning and evening. You just gotta be there. I have had success morning, midday, and evening. Hunt all three if the woods are hot and your schedule allows.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:44 am

Stanley wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

You are testing my memory here, that was close to 40 years ago. I think it was all about his approach to the stand. Roger is/was a big guy and I don't think he was very nimble. I think he was adding some stealth to his otherwise Holstein sounding approach. He probably explains it in his books he wrote. I don't have the books nor have I read them. I do know he was from Ohio at the time and now resides in Iowa.

I can touch on a couple of things about early morning hunting from my perspective. Don't get me wrong I do hunt in the mornings some. In fact I almost killed my target buck last year in the morning. Anyway, I have a way much easier time patterning a buck that I can glass and watch his movements in the daylight. :think:

I can't pattern a buck in the early morning in the dark very well. I do run cameras but I don't really check them to set up on a buck. I do get some intel for the next year quite often, if a buck I have my eye on is still alive. In fact my target buck from last year (spark plug) is still alive. I did not get this information in the early morning in the dark. :think:

I will keep an eye on spark plug. I have some camera intel from last year I can use this year to try and kill him. Back to the morning stuff. Early mornings the wind is often very still. I hate no wind conditions. The thermals will eat you up on calm no wind conditions. Cold fronts after warm days, warm fronts after cold days, it's jungle out there with thermals and calm wind mornings.

The noise levels are magnified early morning in the dark. Deer hear way better than we can. Think about this, if a buck can't smell you on a calm no wind morning because the thermals don't let your scent get to his nose. He can still hear you!! Win but still lose. :think:

I hunt way more than most people, no brag, just fact. I hunt the Holidays including Christmas & Thanksgiving, if I haven't scored on a buck. I do miss a day now and then but for decades I hunted everyday of the season, rain or shine. Now days I frankly get hunters burn out. If I skip a morning or two I am so much more ready to go later in the day. Plus, I don't have to hunt early mornings to kill a good buck.

Over the last 10 years I have killed a total of -0- bucks early morning. All of my kills have been between 10:00 AM and dark. I did kill a buck in 2004 in the early morning. For those guys that don't hunt as much or as often as I do, early morning time in the woods is more important.

I guess I'm just like that old buck that has slowed way down to survive. ;) :lol:

Like you Stan it's been a few decades since I read Rothaar"s 1st book.

I believe your right on his self evaluation of his stealth. I believe the other part of his reasoning had to do with his available access routes and the thermals. He liked to be able to use his vision to aid in avoiding all the deer possible in his approach. Most of his stand locations were near bedding or at least a fair distance from crop fields. I think he stated that he'd rather miss a chance at a buck heading in just a little after first light than risk the chance of bumping him in the dark.
MN Slick

Unread postby MN Slick » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:11 am

I don’t like to take the mornings off during rut either but I often change stands around 9 am IF I can get in without boogering deer. I often change again for the evening vigil. Some of my biggest deer have been shot after I moved to the 2nd stand, two at about 9:30 and one at 4 pm after having great midday action. I really like the 11/7-11/14 or so time frame for midday movement in my hunting area. The 2014 rut was great for midday movement in my area.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:26 am

stash59 wrote:
Stanley wrote:
BassBoysLLP wrote:

Like you Stan it's been a few decades since I read Rothaar"s 1st book.

I believe your right on his self evaluation of his stealth. I believe the other part of his reasoning had to do with his available access routes and the thermals. He liked to be able to use his vision to aid in avoiding all the deer possible in his approach. Most of his stand locations were near bedding or at least a fair distance from crop fields. I think he stated that he'd rather miss a chance at a buck heading in just a little after first light than risk the chance of bumping him in the dark.

Thanks for helping me out Stash59. I suffer from short term memory loss, I also suffer from short term memory loss. ;) :lol: I wouldn't mind reading his books he is kind of a meat and potatoes type hunter.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:01 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:I'm like Arrowbender... in that if it's in the rut and a day I have off to hunt, I hunt dark to dark. Though if I do that enough days and I'm in a stand I end up taking a few short midday naps.

I've shot bucks at all hours of the day during hundreds of days hunting dark to dark in the rut. Though rarely at daylight it seems. Last one was 6:55am, -17F, and full moon. Practically full daylight. That was 12 years ago.

I just remembered I shot a 10pt last year at daylight - mid-Nov. It came by me grunting in the pitch dark right on a does tail. Then 30 minutes later I suppose, she brought him back through. I said I hadn't done it in 12 years. But then I remembered all the way back to 2014. Don't get old.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:21 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:
bigwoodsmn wrote:I'm like Arrowbender... in that if it's in the rut and a day I have off to hunt, I hunt dark to dark. Though if I do that enough days and I'm in a stand I end up taking a few short midday naps.

I just remembered I shot a 10pt last year at daylight - mid-Nov. It came by me grunting in the pitch dark right on a does tail. Then 30 minutes later I suppose, she brought him back through. I said I hadn't done it in 12 years. But then I remembered all the way back to 2014. Don't get old.

You're granted amnesty. But don't ask me to member your pardon half hr from now. ;) :lol:
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:29 am

bigwoodsmn wrote:

That's why I could never bring myself to the going in at first light thing.
My best Wisconsin bowkill was under a similar scenario.

As I was making my way cautiosly to my stand I could hear tending grunts in the distance. After carefully getting into and setup in the tree I could hear the buck moving away to my right. Once it got to a good shooting light I grunted and rattled. Within 10 minutes a high racked 2.5 y.o. 8 pt. came through at 18 yards and I center punched him. Sitting in the stand letting my now knocking knees settle down I though I heard a slight antler rattle in the direction that my buck ran. Next thing here comes a different 2.5 y.o. 8 pt. into 25 yards. To say I wasn't tempted would be a lie. But I let him go. The right deciision. As I was watching him i thought I could see blood on one beam. Binos confirmed this.

After bloodtrailing my buck I could see in the grass and brush what looked like alot of torn up stuff. Upon examining the downed buck i found some frsh puntures in his hide. Along with loose chunks of hair. So I concluded that 'yes the second buck attacked my buck at some point. Maybe even as he was dying or dead on the ground.

Moral of story? You just never know what and when something can happen during the pre-rut and rut.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:30 am

When it comes to peak "on their feet" times for bucks, I may take one morning off solely to get sleep if necessary (getting run down) but not to go in later as a purpose.

I've been situated in some pretty intense chasing and movements in the dark - post climb in the morning and before dawn. Sure, I am positive I've busted a few up, heck I've busted a few on walks back to the truck this past season in the dark and had to hit my flashlight to prevent being run over.

I do agree on the midday movements as people have noted, but every once in a while you time it just right, you've just climbed the stand, its still dark, and you KNOW your in the mix and it's going to be an intense day. The tough part for me are the early afternoons after the midday movement, I almost always am challenged around the 2-3 timeframe...tired, lose concentration, etc.

I try to make that a stand move time if possible. I really haven't had much mature buck interaction during that time...actually can't think of any in all my years. Had some in the 3:30-4 occasionally, but not much around 2-3.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:00 am

[quote="phade"]When it comes to peak "on their feet" times for bucks, I may take one morning off solely to get sleep if necessary (getting run down) but not to go in later as a purpose.

I've been situated in some pretty intense chasing and movements in the dark - post climb in the morning and before dawn. Sure, I am positive I've busted a few up, heck I've busted a few on walks back to the truck this past season in the dark and had to hit my flashlight to prevent being run over.

I do agree on the midday movements as people have noted, but every once in a while you time it just right, you've just climbed the stand, its still dark, and you KNOW your in the mix and it's going to be an intense day. The tough part for me are the early afternoons after the midday movement, I almost always am challenged around the 2-3 timeframe...tired, lose concentration, etc.

I try to make that a stand move time if possible. I really haven't had much mature buck interaction during that time...actually can't think of any in all my years. Had some in the 3:30-4 occasionally, but not much around 2-3.[/quote

I never liked to pee out of the tree or even use a bottle or anything. By drinking less and just holding it in I would use the 2pm-3pm time period to go at least a hundred yards away downwind to take care of business.
Dustin

Unread postby Dustin » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:40 am

Full moon days have produced the best late morning to midday rut activity for me. Overhead and underfoot times during the rut proved to be the prime time near scrapes and doe bedding.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”