Moon Phase affects deer movement

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Moon Phase affects deer movement

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:16 pm

Its a full moon and I just got back from shining and barely saw any deer. How does a full moon affect deer activity more specifically buck activity this time of year. (Pre-Rut) Im going out tommorow morning on a hunt and I was wondering if a full moon causes more morning movement or less.

I have heard something about the moon position in the sky whether its directly above or below affects movement can someone explain please.

Also where is that moon chart tab that was on this website? I cant find it. It told the best days to hunt based on moon phase and position I believe, it was really neat. If someone could repost it on here that would be awesome. Thanks

solocam88
500 Club

Re: Moon Phase affects deer movement

Unread postby solocam88 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:19 pm

BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:30 pm

Thanks solocam thats some really usefull info...although I was thinking of a link that someone posted a few weeks ago that showed a bar graph corresponding to moon phase and position.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:21 am

Its not the amount of light... Its the position of the moon. The moons gravitational pull is what gets the deer moving. Overhead or underfoot.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:10 am

Dan- Do you think that when there is a bright moon and no clouds the deer get up later b/c they can see more easily by the light of the moon. I've never really had a lot of luck under full moon conditions like these.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:45 pm

Not sure I agree with that theory... It might have some legitimacy, but it has not been proven to me yet.
Take tonight for example. Full moon, and pheasant hunters banging all day... I saw a 2 1/2 year old buck out feeding at 4pm, and from 4:30 to 5:30 I saw about 6 raccoons... Critters sure were moving early today...
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:03 pm

Dan- Do you think that when there is a bright moon and no clouds the deer get up later b/c they can see more easily by the light of the moon. I've never really had a lot of luck under full moon conditions like these.

Not sure I agree with that theory... It might have some legitimacy, but it has not been proven to me yet.
Take tonight for example. Full moon, and pheasant hunters banging all day... I saw a 2 1/2 year old buck out feeding at 4pm, and from 4:30 to 5:30 I saw about 6 raccoons... Critters sure were moving early today...

I used to think the same thing. In reading one of the benoits books one of them commented that it's hard to find tracks during a full moon which means they don't move a lot at night eithor. That info is based on a lot of tracking by a group of guys for many many years so I tend to believe it.
regarding the early movement, that could be due to the upcoming rain.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”