Strategies for Draw in hunts for parks, reservations,etc.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Strategies for Draw in hunts for parks, reservations,etc.

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:18 am

Interested to hear from hunters who do draw hunts where you get maybe a day to scout and a day to hunt in curtains areas of your state. What strategies have you employed that were successful in tagging a mature buck.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Strategies for Draw in hunts for parks, reservations,et

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:21 am

If you haven't already, I'd read through Dan's journal from last season. Many of the hunts were on a limited access conservancy.
rizzo999
500 Club

Re: Strategies for Draw in hunts for parks, reservations,et

Unread postby rizzo999 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:40 am

I have yet to be drawn for an archery hunt on a drawn property I've been applying for 8 years, but I have done a few gun hunts on this lottery property.

I relied heavily on studying topo and aerial maps for the gun hunts. The more I have learned and trusted what the map "tells" me, the better success I have had on placing my tag on antlers. I forgot to add that the property I am talking about you can only scout one day prior to the opening of archery or gun season so going in you need to do your homework. During archery season you can scout, but only in the zone you draw. I choose to scout the first year I hunted there and had limited success, but the next 2 times I just walked in and set-up in the dark based on the maps that I obsessed over and worked out for me. Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”